• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 771 server board HSF mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

OK well I picked up this 771 board and a couple stock heatsinks. Well, the screws on the heatsink are larger than the holes in the bracket on the board. Am I missing some pieces or something? Anyone with experience with 771 please chime in here.

This is the best pic I could get, it kept turning out blurry. You can kinda see, the screws on the heatsink are spring loaded and they retract when you unscrew it. I'm pressing the one down here in this pic. But the screws are 6-32 thread, almost seems like the holes on the board's brackets are 8-32 or something like that.

771.jpg

I think the screws for the Xeon heatsinks are supposed to pass through the holes in the motherboard and screw into holes in case. Not sure if there's some sort of bracket you can buy to put on the back of the board to allow use in a non-compatible case?

Yeah thanks guys, I actually ended up buying another board and it came with a double backplate for both HSF mounts. I guess the guy I got this board from had to reuse his or something.

Back