• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120FX 3.6ghz overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Birchall

Registered
hi all am new to this forum i know the basic of overclocking i guess i have tryed to overclock my 8120FX and i really dont understand why my temps shoot up so fast at idel its around 29c overclocked at 3.6 when i run prime it goes above 61 i stopped it at 63 its also running on a watercooler in push and pull i have the Cosmos S case added two extra fans to the top of the case can you plz help me am not sure if am missing some setting in Bio's but i have looked all over the web to find what to disable and stuff and am stumped maybe i need more fans i dont know any help would be very appreciated also i have the sabertooth 990fx

so its my watercooler hmm i will have to look into geting a new one thx alot guys :)

Birchall, welcome to the forums, what i would humbly say is make a list of all your PC Parts so everyone can look and advise you. Next install all the programs you would need to monitor and test your Set up. Then finally run your set up at Stock settings to check out your Temps and Voltages. To do this just run your PC with this program running HWMonitor! ;) :thup:

1, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

3, http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/40-occt-pt-4-4-0-available

so its my watercooler hmm i will have to look into geting a new one thx alot guys :)

Yeah, it'll handle it fine at stock, but the FX-8xxx puts out a lot of heat.

Give what Ajay said a shot, you might get the temps down a bit until you can get a better cooler.

Ya that cooler should be able to get you in the low 4's. I'd check your mounting and maybe repaste it with some good paste.
Or the temperature you're seeing is the socket temp and you're using a cheap MOBO.

As Ajay said a list of parts helps us help you

Edit I see you're using the Sabertooth so it's either like I said earlier or your cooler is broken. Do you have fans pulling cool air into the case?

thx for the advice Ajay i have that program and core temp i have prime95 and also a few benchmark programs i will list my pc on my sig so u guys know what am running its not much but it does me for now i guess lol

Well Birchall you have Johan on the case now, so i would say listen to his advice and let him help you!! Yeah please do your list of Parts and try that PC at Stock regards AJ.

Hey Johan make sure what version that Sabertooth is this time!!! :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:
the cosmos S has 1 big 200 or 220mm fan on the side and i think one at the front for pulling in air

the Cosmos S has one big 200 or 220mm fan on the side and one 120mm at the front for pulling in air i think

OK and you're venting the Khuler out of the case? Also make sur cool and quiet is disabled in the BIOS so your fans can spin up freely. Do you have monitoring software that came with the cooler. We want the pump and fans at max if you can do that.

i did not get anything with it as far as i know and the fans are at max i know that much i can change them with a dial

My best guess at this point is you probably didn't get the block on the cooler seated properly. You're probably going to have to remove it. Reapply the thermal paste and reseat it keeping even pressure while you tighten it. This can be a real PIA if you're not used to it. You have to get all 4 screws started and then I use an X pattern. Screw #1 1 turn Screw # 3 1 turn , screw # 2 then Screw # 4 and keep going until tight that's the key to keeping the paste even between the block and CPU.

am trying to remember all the stuff in my pc at the mo lol cant think also i think am going to order a new watercooler and go thru it all then thx for your help and i will keep you posted on the results thx Johan

No probs. Still I think you could get a decent OC with the cooler you have. But that's just my opinion.

When you take off the CPU Block just take a look how the paste looks on the block before you clean it! Why because it will show you whether you had the right amount of paste applied or too little. If its oozing out the side the CPU itself then it is far to much paste. ;) :thup:

Yep the X pattern is the best way to tighten down a cooler block. :salute:

i really dont think my cooler is any good i mean for it to just hit 63C with a 3.6 overclock lol

with a new cooler will i have to put paste on as it says its pre-applied ?

Back