• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyNameIsWill

Registered
Sup guys, im new here. So i had a few people help me out earlier with my 8320 overclock, and it seems very stable now (ran intelburn test) and running prime95 as we speak and things look fine. But is it normal for the 8320 CPU to jump from 23C CPU temp to 37C just from opening google chrome, and it cools just as fast as it heats up. Is it due to the 8 cores working all together? And here are my specs so far. If i put my LLC to extreme do you think i can get a little more mhz out of it safely? im already at 61C on extreme load. And this processor runs extremely cool.... im at 22C at idle sometimes and my room is like 75F lol....

Yep the temp jump is pretty normal. Just as long as it isn't jumping to 60c.... well you know.

These chips where meant to run pretty cool, under 70c on the stock air cooling and no overclocking beyond the turbo feature.

But from my perspective, looks good. :D

Using Extreme LLC is not going to help your OC. AMD has put all their eggs in one basket so to speak when they calibrated their sensors, what I mean is they have the sensors calibrated very well when under load but not so well for when the CPU is sitting idle ...... pay no attention to the temp while idle as they can be very off so to speak. The only temp you need to worry about is while under load.

MyNameIsWill, please list the components in the PC including case, fans, heatsink, mobo etc.... Additionally, don't set the CPU llc to Extreme, it over shoots the set CPU voltage by way too much. Depending on the board you're using, usually high to ultra high is fine. Your best best is to download CPU-z and hwmonitor. Then open hwmonitor and run prime blend for 20 minutes. Then post screen shots of the following, hwmonitor under load and the following tabs in CPU-z, CPU, SPd and memory. This will give us an idea of what is going on at stock clocks and how much headroom you have to oc.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Sorry guys, i forgo to post picture lol. So i decided to bump up voltage a bit and im at 1.312V idle and 1.344 load on Prime95 for 30 minutes. 4.6ghz on a 8320, i use a H100i for cooling, my motherboard is 990FXA-UD3 1.1 and Radeon 1866 Ram but it runs as 1600.... sucks yeah lol.

Also, People say CPU 0 is the core temp, so is that my actual load tempature?

1264eq8.png.jpg

Please use HWMonitor (non pro version) to monitor temps and voltages. It is the tool that almost all the regulars and veteran overclockers use around here. You need to use the same tools as those helping you. So check those temps again with HWMonitor please.

Your ram may be rated for 1866 mhz but most motherboards will downclock by default to 1600 mhz. If you want to run it at 1866 you need to go into bios and manually set the memory speed.

Will, when you post pics of CPU-z, please include not only the "CPU" tab but also the "Memory" tab and the "SPD" tab as RGone showed in post #5.

Here you go, sorry about that.
PS: My ram use to run in unganged mode, now it only runs in dual channel even tho i pick unganged in bios.
33uwe2g.png.jpg

Dual channel has nothing to do at all with ganged or unganged mode. Single or dual channel mode is determined by which slots on the motherboard you install the ram to. And you do want to run it in dual channel mode as there is a performance gain when you do as opposed to single channel. So if you are running in single channel mode you should move the one stick of ram to another color slot on the board.

Ganged or unganged is a bios setting and you should choose unganged.

When we are testing for stability during the overclocking process, we use short stress tests of about 20 minutes because that is time efficient and establishes at least tentative stability. When we sense that we are nearing the max overclock then we lengthen the test to about 2 hrs. Some test for a lot longer than that if they will be doing computing tasks that are very demanding and/or critical. So at this point you should probably test your settings with the long Prime95 blend test.

You also need to look at increasing your memory speed to 1866 as you are not getting the most of that component.

Will the hardware monitor in post #9 would be more helpful if it was under load. running prime as you did for 20 minutes with openhwmonitor would be more helpful. Additionally what Trents said in post #11 is important as well.

Hey, i put my voltage to ram to 1.65 and nothing changed with the speeds... still at 805mhz on cpu-z -_-.

I ran prime95 for 24 minutes like you said and opened hwmonitor. Thanks

r7jfgg.png.jpg

I ran prime95 for 24 minutes like you said and opened hwmonitor. Thanks

r7jfgg.png.jpg

It is actually "open" HWMonitor and keep it open while running P95 Blend mode for at least 20 mins and then after P95 Blend runs okay or does not show some error, you can capture the screenie of HWMonitor and it has logged the Mins and Maxs of the voltages and temps. That is what is needed to see what to do next.

Post #5 in this thread of yours, detailed what it is that needs be done. What screenshots to ATTACH to the thread and NOT link from a pic uploader.
RGone...

It is actually "open" HWMonitor and keep it open while running P95 Blend mode for at least 20 mins and then after P95 Blend runs okay or does not show some error, you can capture the screenie of HWMonitor and it has logged the Mins and Maxs of the voltages and temps. That is what is needed to see what to do next.

Post #5 in this thread of yours, detailed what it is that needs be done. What screenshots to ATTACH to the thread and NOT link from a pic uploader.
RGone...

Sorry, didn't know i couldn't link from a pic uploader....

It seems like my CPU is stable with Prime95 but with Intel Burn Test AVX it's failing because my ram isn't running right, i messed with the NB and HT and CPU clock but it's hard to stabilize my ram. It's frustrating.

Attachments

• p95.png
    p95.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 109
We need to see where the ram and Nb Frequency is running at to help.

Oops sorry, The NB Frequency is in the picture on the left side, i think it sais 2298 clock. I don't know if that's what you mean. and here are my ram specs and what they are running at now.

Attachments

• ram.png
    ram.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 108
Ok you said "it seems" you are stable running prime blend, how long did you run it. 2 hours is usually what you'll need to see if it's truly stable. What I would do is this, if it really isn't stable. Drop the Ht link speed to 25xx then set your ram timings to the JEDEC#6 profile. Set the Cpu Nb voltage to 1.2 not the "Nb Voltage", leave that one alone and run prime blend 2 hours to see if you pass. Another option is to the above but instead of changing your ram timings drop the ram freq to 666 which will be 693 with the Bus Speed at 208.

Back