• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 compatability question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crayonmuffin

Registered
What is a good board to pair with this CPU? I've decided on getting it and would like to OC at least mildly and not too sure about motherboards. I was directed to the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 but I had heard some people had issues with the two paired and had to replace the gigabyte with the Sabretooth. Any advice helps

Some move away from the UD3 to go to the Sabertooth 990FX for a better overclock. If you want less hassle get the Sabertooth first and not have to buy two boards should you become dis-enamored with the UD3.

Cooling of the cpu is going to be the most important since the FX cpus get HOT and fast as you overclock them beyond about 4.2Ghz.
RGone...

See I've heard the exact opposite. Initially I was going to get the Sabertooth but was told to stray away from it because the UD3 overclocks better. Sigh

Ah wait I was looking at the wrong Sabertooth. I guess a better question would be what's the best mobo between 100-160 dollars?

Take RGones advice I did exactly what you're thinking about doing. I initially went with the M5A99FX pro :bang head As you can see it has migrated to the HTPC. :facepalm:
In the end I picked up a Sabretooth R2 and am much happier with it. Less heat issues with the VRM and just all around a tougher board. :thup:

Spend the extra $20 I got this one on sale for $160

Crayonmuffin, I'm just going to list the boards that we know are up to the task of running and overclocking that processor.
Asus Crosshair V Formula/Z
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R 2.0
Asrock Fatil1ty 990fx
Gigabyte FXA UD-3/UD-5/UD-7 Though we hear the UD-3 is more difficult to OC on.

If you are only looking for a mild overclock 4.5 and under:
Asus M5A99X/ FX EVO R 2.0

The Gigabyte UD-5 and the Asrock Fatla1ty are in your price range. Rgone has done some testing on the Asrock board and seems to like the way it performs, in this thread.

Thanks for the info. While I have anyone's attention, any advice on my current build would be nice. haven't bought it yet, just piecing it together while I budget everything out. This is it as it stands with the sabertooth

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JBFR

Take RGones advice I did exactly what you're thinking about doing. I initially went with the M5A99FX pro :bang head As you can see it has migrated to the HTPC. :facepalm:
In the end I picked up a Sabretooth R2 and am much happier with it. Less heat issues with the VRM and just all around a tougher board. :thup:

I think the whole FX thing was hyped to an extent that most just don't understand the difference between using the cpu as it was designed and beginning to overclock it with ALL the cores clocked and not cycling as the cores are designed to do. Then the difference in mobos come to the fore-front much as you found out for your ownself.
RGone...

Did you have any trouble with the Sabertooth and BIOS? I've heard multiple times people have had trouble updating it

If your intentions are only a mild overclock then the CM 212 should perform fine, if that is going to stay your intention. If you get the bug to go higher in the future you'll probably need better cooling. Don't get the Corsair Vengeance Ram, the heat spreaders are too tall and you will usually run into clearance issues with aftermarket heatsinks. Get some with lower heat spreaders. That power supply is overkill, you can get away with a 500w unit or to be safe 600w, unless you are going X fire in the future. Your case isn't a bad choice, but it's a little narrow for my taste, it may cause some difficulty in the future if you need better air cooling. If you go AIO water then it shouldn't be an issue.

Mild OC should be fine for me. Not wanting to push it to the max or anything. But if I do I'd probably go with that h100 cooling if that's what it's called. And I forgot to change the ram I actually changed plans to get gskill snipers, not sure if that's too tall or not. And the PSU is there in case I decide to upgrade to X fire. Chances are I won't but JUST in case. What would be a decent case for about the same price you think?

Did you have any trouble with the Sabertooth and BIOS? I've heard multiple times people have had trouble updating it
To date I have flashed this board with 6 different versions currently running 0803. I always do it through the BIOS EZ flash tool and a USB.

I actually changed plans to get gskill snipers, not sure if that's too tall or not
The dual channel installs in the #2 and #4 slot if you're only running 2 sticks you should be fine

Was sort of confused about the instructions to flash the bios from USB. Since I'm most likely getting it do you have any tips on easily doing it?

Right now the CM912 is on sale at the egg. 49.99 after a mail in rebate and free shipping. This one is very customizable with fans for airflow I'd get a couple more when you order.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Dang that was a good find. I like the simplistic look of the NZXT but that one does have some more space to work with. Thanks for that. I'm just anal about everything being perfect so hopefully I don't have any problems when assembling everything.

Was sort of confused about the instructions to flash the bios from USB. Since I'm most likely getting it do you have any tips on easily doing it?
It's quite easy actually. Download the BIOS file from ASUS support. Unzip the file and transfer the .cap file to your USB no folders.
Shutdown the system, plug in your USB and reboot( the USB has to be in there before you boot so the BIOS will recognize it) First select advanced mode in BIOS. Then go to tools, youwill find the EZflash utility there. Once you select this option it will scan your USB for files and list them. Select the .cap file you want to flash and the system will verify it. After it has checked it, it will ask if you want to update say yes. It is very important that you do not interrupt the flashing process. It may look as if nothing is going on but just be patient LET IT FINISH. Reboot and done.

It's quite easy actually. Download the BIOS file from ASUS support. Unzip the file and transfer the .cap file to your USB no folders.
Shutdown the system, plug in your USB and reboot( the USB has to be in there before you boot so the BIOS will recognize it) First select advanced mode in BIOS. Then go to tools, youwill find the EZflash utility there. Once you select this option it will scan your USB for files and list them. Select the .cap file you want to flash and the system will verify it. After it has checked it, it will ask if you want to update say yes. It is very important that you do not interrupt the flashing process. It may look as if nothing is going on but just be patient LET IT FINISH. Reboot and done.

Sounds easy enough. By the way, how is gaming performance with your setup?

Another way is to just get a usb stick, down load the files to it and flash it from there. As far as gaming goes, most are gpu dependent, the 7870 is a really nice card, so depending on what screen resolution you are playing at you should be fine.

Oh and Johan good call on the HAF 912.

I find gaming to be quite satisfactory. I'm playing Darksiders II Maxed out ATM runs great.
Gaming is a two edged sword with these processorsvery dependant on the title. If the game can utilize the multiple cores you can't beat the performance. IF the title is not coded for multi core you'll end up with one core maxed out and the rest just spinng their wheels. But so far I've played Batman Arkham city DX 11 and Crysis 2DX11 on this and both have worked flawlesslyI've got another 580 coming in the mail. Gonna play FarCry 3 then. #2 was such an awsome game playing and visually that I want to do #3 justice and play it the way it was meant to be played.
Thanks Mandrake

Back