• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 compatability question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One Note , Crayonmuffin
If you decide on the HAF series case with the Corsair H100 and decide you want to do a push/pull config. The CM912 and CM922 will not allow you to mount all the fans and Rad. internally. The CM932 does. I have almost the same setup as that you are looking at and I had to mount two of the fans outside on top.
Good luck on your build.

What is a good board to pair with this CPU? I've decided on getting it and would like to OC at least mildly and not too sure about motherboards. I was directed to the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 but I had heard some people had issues with the two paired and had to replace the gigabyte with the Sabretooth. Any advice helps

If you look at my sig, you can see I'm pretty well-weighed by the 990FXA-UD3. I have another one in my shop with a 6300, a little bugger I've abused to the ends of the earth. These boards CAN overclock as high as their much better big brothers, but it requires quite a bit of creative thinking and some tweaks that you shouldn't have to do.

For example, I have to really mess around with CPU-PLL to get things stable, and I had to attach an aftermarket + custom cooling solution to the VRM once I broke 5.5GHz P95 on my 6300. As much as I like these little boards, and as easy as it is for me to get them for next to nothing, there are boards I reccomend first. The rest of these gents have taken care of that already! Also keep in consideration a 6300 will OC higher with the same cooler as a 8350, and as such will do better in 75+% of games, as they are mostly GPU dependant and very vew actually use 8 cores.

If you look at my sig, you can see I'm pretty well-weighed by the 990FXA-UD3. I have another one in my shop with a 6300, a little bugger I've abused to the ends of the earth. These boards CAN overclock as high as their much better big brothers, but it requires quite a bit of creative thinking and some tweaks that you shouldn't have to do.

For example, I have to really mess around with CPU-PLL to get things stable, and I had to attach an aftermarket + custom cooling solution to the VRM once I broke 5.5GHz P95 on my 6300. As much as I like these little boards, and as easy as it is for me to get them for next to nothing, there are boards I reccomend first. The rest of these gents have taken care of that already! Also keep in consideration a 6300 will OC higher with the same cooler as a 8350, and as such will do better in 75+% of games, as they are mostly GPU dependant and very vew actually use 8 cores.

That's the next things I was going to ask you fine gentleman about. I wanted to go with the 8350 for more of future proof-ISH CPU. Not expecting it to not get out performed at any time soon but I figured may as well take the 8 core if I have the money. But then I think about just OCing the 6300 and saving 60 bucks or so. Do you think the 6300 will be just as good as the 8350 for gaming in general? I've heard the 6300 is a nifty little CPU

A Fx 6300 is a pretty good processor, unless a game can take advantage of all of the CPU's cores you will not notice the difference between the FX 8xxx and the 6xxx.

Anonaru, I guess you've been busy, haven't seen you around much lately. WB :thup:

Ya I'm with Anonaru on that too crayonmuffin. If you're not going to use that machine for anything but gaming and surfing then the 6300 would be plenty. A little cheaper, less heat so you can use good air(cheaper) I'd still get a decent MOBO so if you change your mind in the future all you need is a new chip and cooling.

Ya I'm with Anonaru on that too crayonmuffin. If you're not going to use that machine for anything but gaming and surfing then the 6300 would be plenty. A little cheaper, less heat so you can use good air(cheaper) I'd still get a decent MOBO so if you change your mind in the future all you need is a new chip and cooling.

I was really tempted. Saving the extra money would be nice so I could pick up a game or something but I also plan on doing photo editing(photography student) in the coming months and haven't had access to any PC that can do it properly. I've heard that the 8350 does particularly well at applications like that.

Crayonmuffin, I'm assuming you live in the states? Do you live near a Microcenter? They have a really nice combo deal on a FX 6300 and an AMD 3+ motherboard, "walkin only". Here's an example.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 41
I wish there was one near me but there isn't I've already checked, otherwise I would be all over that deal. That's a dang good value. I don't mind paying the extra though. I've waited too long to build a new PC. My last one was already 4 years old and it died on me last summer and I've been extremely broke since. I NEED TO GET OUT OF CONSOLE GAMING. >:O

I wish there was one near me but there isn't I've already checked
In a way it's good you don't, I have one 25 min away and it's very tempting to go and buy parts, must resist temptation! :)

I NEED TO GET OUT OF CONSOLE GAMING. >:O
Come enter the real world!

In a way it's good you don't, I have one 25 min away and it's very tempting to go and buy parts, must resist temptation! :)

Come enter the real world!

:attn: I'll be there soon. I miss PC gaming so much it's what mainly motivated me to save up enough for a decent build. But I also had to budget in monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. So that took a hit on what I could get. Otherwise I could've gotten top notch everything across the board.

I don't do photos but for down right crunching the 8350 is a beast. :attn:
I do work with Bluray compression and recoding ant the 8350 cut my time in half compared to the 965. The software I use will fill every core and my vid card 100%, very glad I went with the 8350 :salute:

Good to hear. It's nice to actually get positive feedback. I know it's an AMD board and all but usually on every other site I've posted all I get is "NO JUST GET INTEL IT'S SO MUCH BETTER." But I don't want intel. And the price/performance factor is big for me.

Intel is not so much better but it is better for gaming where the code does not really use mutiple cores well. The guys that game all the time know which games do okay with AMD and those that just do so so. I don't keep up with that regularly. Anything that uses multi-cores like video editting...well the Vishera cpus do well for sure.
RGone...

I do a pretty good amount of gaming on my setup "in signature" I play BF3 just fine with it.

That's the next things I was going to ask you fine gentleman about. I wanted to go with the 8350 for more of future proof-ISH CPU. Not expecting it to not get out performed at any time soon but I figured may as well take the 8 core if I have the money. But then I think about just OCing the 6300 and saving 60 bucks or so. Do you think the 6300 will be just as good as the 8350 for gaming in general? I've heard the 6300 is a nifty little CPU

The 6300 is a great cpu.How many games need 6 or 8 cores to run smoothly ? None! Plus,the advantage of using a cpu thats 95W vs 125 Watts.Gaming is no problem on Utra or high textures.I game @ 1080P with (1) 24" monitor,and (1) video card.For a more elaborate set-up, I dont know....

I have (3) Gigabyte GA- 970A-UD3 boards,and have no problem overclocking my 6300 to 4.5G.I backed it down to 4.4g where temps are more to my liking.It can handle cpu's up to 140Watts.The 8350 is 125 Watts,so no problem.These are budget boards @ about 110 dollars,so no comparison to boards listed.I never had problems oc-ing on the 970,and run one of my pc's 24/7 365, for 2 years with no issues.During this time I was using a Phenom II 965 oc @ 3.8g.These boards are built like a tank.Solid! I hate flimsy boards.Gigabyte makes it very easy to update bios using Q-flash.I flashed 2 of my boards to F7 to make board compatible with the new FX cpu's.

These are great boards,but not cheap.One advantage,of many, is you'll have the option to add another video card using a 16X PCIe slot,where lower end boards only give you the option of (1) 16x PCIe slot.Some advice I was given that helped in my decision.Choose the board which has enough SATA, USB, PCIE, LAN or other things that you need.

Asus Crosshair V Formula/Z
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R 2.0
Asrock Fatil1ty 990fx

If you decide to go with a Hyper 212,just make sure your ram is low profile,so you wont run into clearance issues.I use Corsair Vengeance ram,and never had problems.Brand is debatable,but low profile for a 212 is a must.If I was using a 8350,I would cool it with this http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I hate the colors,but it comes with 2 quality fans,so the price is justified. The next step up from this HS would be water cooling.

Last edited:
You guys are probably the most useful people I've found on the internet. I'm leaning towards the 8350 set up I'm looking at but I might take it down a few notches for the 6300 build I had lined up before. Save a decent amount of money.

I'm just so sketched out about getting the right parts that I'm afraid of making bad choices -_- I think the 8350 should do me fine though.

And I've never heard anything bad about the 212+ but since I'm not going to try and push it too far I won't need expensive cooling any time soon.

If you stick to your guns then yes a 212 will be fine. Be careful though, once the overclocking bug gets you, you may be in trouble. :)

Back