• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 compatability question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For what I want I'm not going to be OCing to the max, I just need a little more breathing room. Later if I decide I need it then I'll probably switch to liquid cooling.

Kind of sad. I was about to pull the trigger on buying all the parts from Newegg and then the Sabertooth and the GPU I want are both now out of stock. Sigh

Temper you distress at out of stock and don't fall for lesser parts. That will be a bigger disappointment than waiting for the stuff to get instock again. I can assure you. There is at least one other board I would put up with the Sabertooth and price wise, but your video card is gone so you may as well wait them both out on returning to instock.
RGone...

the Sabertooth is back already apparently. But the GPU I was interested in is the MSI Hawk 7870. Heard lots of good things about it. So the wait begins.

Funny you say that too I was already piecing together a cheaper 6300 build to buy because I'm impatient.

I'm probably getting annoying. But again I'm sketchy about spending a lot of money. Say I want something more for solid gaming, would the 6300 build be better, and then spending the extra money on a better GPU?

For gaming purposes, the majority of the time the GPU will be more important then the CPU. It also depends on what screen resolution you plan on playing at. If you are only playing games at say 1680/1050 or lower you'll probably not see much of a difference between a 7870 gpu and a 7970. Yes you'll get more FPS but after a point you really can't see it. If you are planning on gaming on a higher resolution monitor or multi monitors then going high end GPU is what you want to do. As far as the difference between the 8350/20 and the 6300. I have no personal experience with the 6300 and gaming. With that said I do not believe that there are any games out right now that will utilize more then 4 cores on a cpu. So clock speed and efficiency of the cores is really what you need. A 6300 is essentially a 8350 with 2 cores cut off and a 100ghz lower clock speed. If you take them both to the same clock speed, I have to believe you would be hard pressed to see a difference gaming. So if you are not going to be doing any work on the pc that will utilize all of the FX 8xxx series cores, save your money and go with a FX 6300.

Back