• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'86 Ford Econoline Heater Core!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simon389

Well I wanted a nice big heater core for my revised WC setup, and I realized that I really could make it more than 7 inches vertically like all you crazy chevette and camaro people, so I got this one! It's a 1986 Ford Econoline High Load no A/C Heater Core I got for 27.95 at Autozone. Inlet is 3/4" Outlet 1/2". I figured it would be better to have a bigger one for the 226w pelt I bought.

I figure 1/2" ID tygon will stretch over both inlet and outlet. I also think I might make a nice shroud for it, but have yet to decide if I want to put just one 120mm fan sucking and one blowing or two sucking and two blowing. Of course, I could get that crazy 172mm fan, but it has no dust filter. ;) Comments??

what size is it? is it copper or aluminum??? how bout a close up pic of the fins...

ooh iv seen those before... thats basicly the normal core, but a little larger...

6.3 inches by 9.6 inches mmmmmm nice and big.

what do you think about the hose connections?? Just stretch tygon over it, or should I JB Weld some barbs.....???

if you can streach them over, definetly go for it! itll yeild higher flow...

what fan setup do you think would work. That fan grill in the first pic is 120mm. Would you go with 2 120mm side by side, or 1 in the center???

Can you fit 2x 120mm fans on it? If so, that would be awesome. You can home make the shroud for it, that would definitely be sweet. :)

Try one of these fans. Quieter than the specs say, very powerful. Definitly get a finger guard, it has aluminum blades for a very effective finger ginsu action if your digits get in the way. With a shroud and configured to draw through it will be sweet. I have mine mounted to a Camaro heater core.

Econolone Cores

simon389 said:
what fan setup do you think would work. That fan grill in the first pic is 120mm. Would you go with 2 120mm side by side, or 1 in the center???

I am looking at a 75-87 Econoline core that is 8 x 7.75 with 5/8 barbs on it. I am going to put 4 of 92mm fan pushing air through it.

i was trying to verify if the econolines where copper about 4 months ago and never was able to so i gave up on it but i was interested in a tall skinny and deep core for a special design i have but had to scrap it

That looks like the caprice core I am using.
mine is 9 1/4" tall and 6 1/2" wide.
I just heated the tygon and forced it on :)

I only have two 80mm fans blowing through mine,with no shroud and
It keeps my 2500xp-m clocked @2505mhz 29c with ambient 20c

I will be redoing the layout soon and didnt want to make a shroud that would not fit the new setup.

Back