• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+ Northbridge fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good luck! I'de be too scared to do that stuff since I already fried enough parts :p

Why don't you just run a wire from the +5V line from the power supply to whatever controls the RAM and use a pot to regulate the voltage? Or even the same for the CPU. Ground is always ground so you don't really have to worry about that.

Risky, I mean you could end up with a Core of 5V!!! Even LN2 couldn't cool that.....

As for the RAM in this picture I can see there's two pins, I know its 500ohm resistor but I don't know which pin...ummmm ip dip do anyone??? :D:D

Maximus Nickus said:
Risky, I mean you could end up with a Core of 5V!!! Even LN2 couldn't cool that.....

That's why you turn the pot all the way down first, and test it with a multimeter. Can't it be done that way? Seems easy enough, but I wouldn't know any more details about this kinda stuff.,,,i have to reboot my computer,, it's overheating!!!

I was just pushing my CPU further at 1.85 vcore, but my written off heatsink couldn't handle it :p

lol been there done that!

Doing a Volt Mod that way is much more risky and wouldn't work, you see the Volt Mod uses a resistor to Fool the Voltage Regulator Chip into providing more voltage, if you attached it to a DIRECT 5V well your board is a fixer upper!:D

Ohh, i see.

Hey do you have a link to a store that sells those huge northbridge heatsinks? I think I'll grab one of those and put a fan on it.

You know what,, don't worry about it for now since it's not worth ordering a $10 part. I'm sure when the time comes for me to order something else, I can find a website that supplies them.

Ok then, good luck with finding them.

If you cannot find them then don't hesistate to PM me. If you have an old HSF around (most of us do:D) then you could cut that to size.

Good Luck,
M_N

Actually I do have an old heatisnk lying around and it already is pretty small,,,I just have to fasten it to the mobo somehow,,I think it's slightly bigger than an XP CPU.

Use some Arctic Alumina Epoxy, diluted with some AS. It will be conductive (but its hard to spill it as the Northbridge is huge!) but it won't be on there forever, hence the dilution.

Or you can just use full stregnth. I've loads of HSF's lying aorund and I was thinking of cooling my Southbridge, but was wondering if there are any gains...

M_N:)

Southbridges are pretty small! it never hurts to try tho. I wonder if anyone else has tried that.

Back