• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KNXP Memory Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are correct in your assumptions. And I didn't know
I had to run 233 to get pc 3700.
So for twinx 3700 I have to over clock my fsb to 233...
is that what you're telling me?.. I didn't know that.
So @233 quad pumped, that will give me a fsb @ 900 correct?
Will that get my twinx to 466mhz?

I found out my problem w/ installing XP might be due
to a corrupt file on the cd. I'm going to try again w/ a new
cd later this week.

My memory timings right now are
Cas Latency = 3.0
active to precharge = 6.0
ras to cas = 3
ras precharge = 3

So far things seem to be working ok. I haven't really tested
it that much though.

Yes PC3700 will run at 233x2=466. Corsair says these modules(Samsung CL3) do not like low latencies. 3-8-4-4 is what they are rated for at PC3700. If it is not to late you may want to return them and get PC3500 which probably would be a better fit with your 3.2c.
Don`t assume that your cd is bad. I bought the 8KNXP and a 2.6c with a copy of WinXP Pro. When it was first setup at stock everything was fine. Then I began to push the board and managed to get to 268fsb although not completely stable at first.
In doing so WinXP became corrupted. When trying to load XP again at 250fsb(5/4 mem ratio) multiple errors about files came up during installation. The cd was about 2 months old and there was absolutely no damage to it. After trying to reinstall twice I went back to 200fsb(1/1) and it went in with out a prob.
Anyhow it was a memory issue with the LL memory and not a true 5/4 mem ratio.

Alphaeon said:
Yes PC3700 will run at 233x2=466. Corsair says these modules(Samsung CL3) do not like low latencies. 3-8-4-4 is what they are rated for at PC3700.

I'm confused, Samsung? I know they make ram and supposedly
are recommended to be used w/ the ga-8knxp by gigabyte,
but why are you mentioning them?

corsair uses samsung chips in their memory? Wow... didn't
know that. Very interesting. On the corsair site,
they recommend 3-4-4-8 timings on Twinx 3700 for most
mobos.

How do I find out which timings
work best or provide the best performance?
Just keep running tests on the memory using benching
software? What am I looking for as far as results?
ie, bandwidth? The highest you can get?
Granted it should run stable.

This memory may not like running at a low FSB, that you will have to find out for yourself by testing. Play with different timings and see. And as all CPU's are different pieces of silicon so are memory chips. So some may work while others don`t. Be aware that if you are trying to run your [email protected](233x16) the chip or the Vcore of the KNXP(1.6V) may become the limiting factor, it is for me at 268fsb. That is why I said PC3500 (217fsb) would be a better fit
Memtest is the best memory test I know of for checking stability
by eliminating the OS and just running the hardware as is. After you know your stable then run benchs in WinXP. This board was not made to get the highest scores, but have the most features in
my humble opinion.

thanks Alphaeon,
I gotta get that memtest and try it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the problem w/ my
video playback using games and dvd. It's terrible, very
choppy. My video card (ati aiw 9800) comes w/ a pc test
application that I ran and found that dma wasn't enabled
on my drives. I changed it to be enabled and thought that
would solve my troubles but It's still the same.

Not sure what the problem is.

Corsair and gigabyte boards have been having alot of issues with compatibility and running tight timings. Go with ocz gold pc3700 2x256 or 4x256 for best results with a 2.8c,3.0c or 3.2c cpu's. With my 3.0c and knxp and ocz gold pc3700, i am running 4x256 pc3700 gold at 240FSB 1:1 at 2,3,3,6 timings.

pscdoc said:
Corsair and gigabyte boards have been having alot of issues with compatibility and running tight timings. Go with ocz gold pc3700 2x256 or 4x256 for best results with a 2.8c,3.0c or 3.2c cpu's. With my 3.0c and knxp and ocz gold pc3700, i am running 4x256 pc3700 gold at 240FSB 1:1 at 2,3,3,6 timings.

wtg ... I'm jealous. And it's pretty stable?
What kind of cooling/hsf are you using?

Well at the moment on the cpu SLK900u with a 92mm Zalman fan. But this weekend will be putting on the danger den on cpu, chipset and gpu. Yes, it is very stable at 240FSB but not at 245Mhz.

But running a bit warm ?
Just took a look at the Danger den site.. had never heard
of it before. Water cooling scares me a bit.
I think peltier cooling is interesting.

But running a bit warm ?

No not at all!, mbm5 reports cpu at 32 idle and never over 38 load. Thats pretty good i think and its not even warm to the touch.

water cooling is great! I will never do regular ait cooling for serious overclocking, its just too noisy. But if you want really serious cooling then next step would be a peltier or straight to phase change cooling (prommy or vapochill).

Memory GA-8KNXP

HELP!!! :confused: ive just installed another GIG of crucial memory in my GA-8KNXP motherboard bringing it up to 3GIG yet it still says it has 2GIG! the memory modules are all the same and work. each module is a half gig in size part number: CT6464Z40B.E16T

I Apreciate any help that anyone can provide THANKYOU:)

Back