• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA Needs Surgery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, yes its just keeping the area cool, but the CPU is connected to that area. So sure, it could lower the CPU temps. Especially for those of us watercooling (I am, and i saw hoses in one of {BC}Helix's pictures) because without a CPU fan there isnt much air moving arround there.

That actually might be part of our problem. I wonder if the failure rate of these things is any different for water cooled systems than air cooled systems? (of course people who water cool might be running higher CPU voltages as well)

edit: well i see that Helix wasnt water cooled when the failed, since in his first picture i see a heatsink and i only see hoses in the second one... so much for my theory.

Yeah at the time when my caps were exploding I didn't have watercooling, but when i was installing the blocks I replaced the caps while I had the motherboard out of the case.

Glad to see you got her all fixed up there WyrmMaster,

when I first started reading, my 1st thoughts were of the
AGP dead 8rda+ ver 2 I have just sitting here under the desk.

(looking to be reincarnated someday) :)

but after reading further, I did see you were able to repair it
with local purchase parts.

Glad to see you're up & running again.
:cool:

Checked my caps. They have the same markings as yours, WyrmMaster, but they're not bulging or leaking. Maybe I'm lucky.

An aside: {BC}Helix, have you noticed any increase in stability or overclockability after replacing these caps?

Well, i really don't have a basis for comparison since i did all my heavy overclocking after I put in the WC system and replaced the caps. I am however having problems breaking 2.6Ghz with my XP 2400, but I think this is due to my horrible power supply and it's inconsistencies. The 5 volt rail is at 4.51v... but that fact that i acheved a pretty stable 2.5Ghz with replaced capacitors should be evedence enough I guess. But i'm taking care of these caps now along with my mosfets with active cooling.

Last edited:
I was thinking about buying an 8RDA3+ are these problems seen in that board aswell or have the revisions taken care of that?

I shouldn't think that the 8RDA3 would have this problem, because it's a different board and I think there already have been several revisions. If you overclock and are concerned about the caps blowing just put a small fan on them to keep air moving.

Last edited:
Dubbin1 said:
I have read that this is a known problem for the board. Mine never did it but it was less then a year old before I replaced it.

I'd have to disagree and stste that it's a known problem of any system with un-clean 5v current, turbulence of air and lack of actual -5V supply. Many factors can cause the capacitors to bulge on the mainboard - and rarely as in basically never is it the fault of the mainboard or the capacitor.

{BC}Helix said:
I should think that the 8RDA3 would have this problem, because it's a different board and I think there already have been several revisions. If you overclock and are concerned about the caps blowing just put a small fan on them to keep air moving.

How can you make such a statement ? Do you know what the actual changes of each revision of the EP-8RDA3/I/G/+ series are ? Do you have a log of all of the ECN's for the board ? Do you understand the diference between a dual buck phase arrangement and a preceded 3phase arrangement between revision 0.3 and 3.2 ?

I think he was just making a general comment. I know a few years ago, MSI was having a real problem with most all of certain models blowing their caps. Why? Because they were getting all their caps from a certain manufacturer in China that were obviously the cheap ones. So yes their can be many factors on why they blow, but if they aren't of the best quality to start with....... But I myself have NEVER had a problem with my epox caps going, have with some MSI boards though. I have had many boards, and the latest EP-8KRA2I isn't showing any signs of problems even with me stressing it through overclocking.

wild_andy_c said:
How can you make such a statement ? Do you know what the actual changes of each revision of the EP-8RDA3/I/G/+ series are ? Do you have a log of all of the ECN's for the board ? Do you understand the diference between a dual buck phase arrangement and a preceded 3phase arrangement between revision 0.3 and 3.2 ?

yes, I was just making a general overwiew of what the most likely reason the capacitor problem wouldn't be on the 8rda3. But perhaps I am wrong because of knowledge lacking in the areas that you mentioned. I made a spelling error in my last post, I changed "should think so" to "shouldn't think so". Just to clear that up, It may have been confusing.

yea im trying to RMA my board throgh EPox right as this moment for the same problem .

i got my board back it looks as if all the caps on the board in the area were replace. ill be posting pics when my digi cam gets done charging.

heres a pic sry for crappy quaility but my case is in terrible shape wires every where

100_2603.jpg

and heres a pic i found of another site and the caps seem to be different colors and the ones i sent to be replaced now have the Sanyo name on them that i didnt remember seeing before.
In this pic u can see that the cap colors are almost the opposite of mine.

test.h2.jpg

Well, I'm having this problem now :(

My system started randomly locking up. Took the RAM out of DC, didn't help. Lowered the overclock, didn't help. Replaced the RAM, didn't help. Underclocked, didn't help. I finally started thinking: Hey, could it be the motherboard?

Turns out, it is.

http://24.150.152.18/bulge/bulge1.jpg
http://24.150.152.18/bulge/bulge2.jpg
http://24.150.152.18/bulge/bulge3.jpg

The last three caps are bulging ever-so-slightly. At this point, I'm wondering if it's even worth sending away for repair. I've been looking at a DFI Infinity (ncix.com has it for $124 CAD). I could also try to replace the caps myself and give the board to my dad or something. I'll have to see.

Is it safe to run the board this way for long periods of time? I'd rather not have to start using my server as a main box if I can avoid it.

I have an 8k3a+ and a 8kmm+ with the same problem. What I have heard is that there was a bad batch of capacitors floating around. A scientist from Japan stole the electrolyte formula from his company and brought it to Tiawan or China, I can't remember which. Anyway, he didn't get the formula quite right and the capacitors fail prematurely. This problem does not just effect Epox boards or mainboards for that matter. Asus publicaly admitted that some of it's boards have faulty caps. The capacitors are easy to replace, however, they are special low ESR rated. I don't think you can get replacemnts at Radio Shack. In my experience it's not just the caps next to the cpu that fail. My 8kmm+ has two caps next to the agp slot leaking. It seems to be the green and gold ones that fail. I have an 8rda3+ and it has different caps than my 8k3a+ and 8kmm+. I have no problems with it but it is fairly new. I also have an old 8kta3+ with no problems.

I did some research on this and found this. My mainbords have TEAPO and GSC brand capacitors, both of which are green and gold color. As the article suggests all the TEAPO caps are good, only the GSC are failling. I found and orderd Nichicon low ESR replacements at Mouser.

I look forward to replacing caps on an 8rda soon, myself. ;)

I've done a few boards so far and went so far as to buy a bag of caps to replace those I explode....I think my tendency to run high voltages may help to shorten the lifespan of mine. :D

uthungover, when you said that the caps have a lower ESR rating, what did you mean? Am I potentially hurting anything by having replaced caps in my motherboard? So far, i'm not having any trouble with them, though I don't know what brand they are.

Back