• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 on Zipzoomfly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With the 920/940 I was more concerned with them dropping right off the page! I really can't afford the 955 at this point and I've already got an extra Phenom I in search of a board so a cheap 940 is the perfect answer. But with the introduction of the 955 I'd guess 940's are out of production (and probably have been for a month at the Fab) - just the supply line needs emptying before they're all gone. I'm sure these price drops will accomplish that in short order ...

Man I am tempted. My poor BE 940 needs alot of volts just for 3.6. I run at 3.4 daily. Even at that speed, its still plenty fast. :)

the 940 sure is looking mighty nice at it's current retail price. I'm still gonna wait on the 955 to show its face 1st.

my real problem is deciding what mobo to get.

GD-70, or the M4A79T

Are the x3's dropping? Because that would be nice. My god! 720's are $135 shipped! Is that better than before because I seriously have no recollection of prices...

They are down about $20. I paid $155 for mine when it first came out, then shortly after they dropped to the $140 range, now they are at 130

Too late - I just ordered the 940 from ZZF.

I also bought an ASUS 8400GS for next to nothing, also with free shipping - that's what finally made the deal. I've been wanting to play with the SETI CUDA apps but really don't have the money for a new vid card. $23 was cheap enough to live with ... :)

!!!:eek:!!! and QuietIce takes the plunge into PII and CUDA at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing nicely boosted RAC from that farm! :beer:

So I see! I've been telling the wife since Feb that when the 955 came out I'd need to buy a 940 or I'd loose out on one. Guess I jumped right at the last minute and got a good deal to boot! :)
!!!:eek:!!! and QuietIce takes the plunge into PII and CUDA at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing nicely boosted RAC from that farm! :beer:
Me too! I almost dropped off the bottom of the DAC list this week :eek: ...

Last edited:
Really? I thought the reason why 940 and 920 prices dropped was because of Intel dropped Core 2 Quad prices.
Well............... whatever it is, hope that 955 price will replace 940 price. And 920 price will be replace by 945 price.
And then 940 and 920 will be discontinued... :D

And then 940 and 920 will be discontinued... :D

You would think. The way Newegg holds onto older tech and charges more for it still baffles my mind. Right now they have the PI 9850 BE for the same price as a PII 810 and only $15 under a PII 920... they're even charging $25 less for a PI9950BE. Of course yesterday they were selling the 940 for $5 less than the 9850. I think their pricing increases(while usually warranted) keep the uninformed consumer buying 'older tech' products at a premium, by creating artificial demand for them. If 10 people just so happen to purchase a 9850 one day, the price jumps, and there it is sitting right in the mix with all the NEW processors, and then the people wander in, only look at the speed and buy it thinking it will perform just as well.

The thing is, for stock applications it will. PI's aren't that much slower than a PII clock for clock. I'm not saying it's NOT slower clock for clock - it is - just not that much slower. So for people who won't be OC'ing there's just the speed difference to look at. If some guy wants to open 10 IE windows, a couple of Word documents, a spreadsheet, AIM, and maybe a simple pic editor or PP presentation the 9850 will handle it nicely ...

You are correct, I have nothing against the 9850BE, it's a solid performer. The one thing I highly doubt though... is that when AMD developed the MSRP list for the new PII line, it didn't include the 9850BE right in the middle :)

Bahaha, I'm possitive on that one. And to Bima, intel didn't drop prices until after the PII's came out. Intel dropped prices because Amd chips were cheap and sold like life insurance at a gold digger convention. So, the people who buy the first stocks are the reason prices drop a tad.

Waa oh man, I just found this post. This makes me sad. I spent $300 on my 940BE and its now $190, and this guy comes out and oh gawd damnit... Oh well, just means I get to upgrade again and see what happens when I push it :D

I wonder if this guy will get my 4.0ghz on WC?

I put in my email to notify me when it's available, just need to convince my other half into spending the money when I just built a new machine a month ago...

Back