• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 on Zipzoomfly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing these 940s and 720s in every OEM PC people buy. With these prices I don't see how the average geek doesn't drool. You get the most powerful OC CPU on the market for a 10th of the price of the unlocked intel 965. Of which the 965 still can not OC as much as the 940 can.

Thank you Abu for your amazing marketing. Can't wait to work for you guys in New York :D

940 initial results were 4 GHz from the guys with Engineering Samples , when chips got to consumers they typically hit 3.6 - 3.8 Ghz stable , i haven't seen any other results with 955 ES chips except the one cdawall has ,so its hard to judge i just hope we will see people with 4 GHz stable at least 30 % of chips and this is not just amd stepping up with the binning they are doing , with all the cores they are recycling i makes sense for them to also tightly bin the chips while they are at it

by the way what the stock voltage cdawall ?srry if u mentioned before i might have missed it

mines not an ES its an early full retail chip with retail SKU's and numbers on it

You would think. The way Newegg holds onto older tech and charges more for it still baffles my mind. Right now they have the PI 9850 BE for the same price as a PII 810 and only $15 under a PII 920... they're even charging $25 less for a PI9950BE. Of course yesterday they were selling the 940 for $5 less than the 9850. I think their pricing increases(while usually warranted) keep the uninformed consumer buying 'older tech' products at a premium, by creating artificial demand for them. If 10 people just so happen to purchase a 9850 one day, the price jumps, and there it is sitting right in the mix with all the NEW processors, and then the people wander in, only look at the speed and buy it thinking it will perform just as well.

buy an oem 9850 $ 139 us
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103286

I'm well aware, I was simply ephasizing that newegg is selling a 90nm processor for more than most 65 and 45 nm processors.
In most apps I'll take a 90nm K8 2x1Mb L2 instead of a 65nm K8 2x512Kb clock-for-clock any day. :) "Old" doesn't mean "worse" or "outdated".

Regardless of what you may of heard (chip) size doesn't matter ... :p

In most apps I'll take a 90nm K8 2x1Mb L2 instead of a 65nm K8 2x512Kb clock-for-clock any day. :) "Old" doesn't mean "worse" or "outdated".

Regardless of what you may of heard (chip) size doesn't matter ... :p

True, but to people who buy off "coolness", 45nm sounds cooler than 90 nm. So I'm sure newegg could get a nice hype.

True, but to people who buy off "coolness", 45nm sounds cooler than 90 nm. So I'm sure newegg could get a nice hype.

It's not that 45nm sounds cooler than 90nm. Most common end-users don't know about that. It's likely about "New" is cooler than "Old".
Well most people usually also think that new is better than old.

well in some cases its true like newer stepping, or newer process. But I would take a Windsor over a Brisbane anyday tho.

Only reason I have a brizzy now is because I was going cheap cheap cheap like a bird when I built this computer. :D Had I been smart, I would have a PII now or atleast a PI.

There's nothing wrong with Brisbane's - I'm just saying the Windsor is a very good chip and, for some people, is the better option. Brisbane's are great little chips because they are cool (temp-wise) and suck up less power. I've got a 5000+ myself, bought it to compare 2x1Mb to 2x512Kb L2 for SETI crunching ...

This is what happens when AMD is doing well. Price drops!

In the great words of Britteny Spears... "Gimme more" Price drops, that is.

There's nothing wrong with Brisbane's - I'm just saying the Windsor is a very good chip and, for some people, is the better option. Brisbane's are great little chips because they are cool (temp-wise) and suck up less power. I've got a 5000+ myself, bought it to compare 2x1Mb to 2x512Kb L2 for SETI crunching ...

Have you gotten the comparative results you were looking for? If so... could you fill us/me in;)

Yep - long ago. The 2x1Mb L2 gets the advantage by about 5%.

I'll soon be comparing L3's (as much as I can) using the Phenom I v Phenom II. Architecture isn't THAT much different except for the much larger L3 on Phenom II and my Phenom I's have been running 3.0 GHz for months. I need to run a baseline at stock anyway and I usually do that with SETI for a couple of days after the Everest, SiSandra, SuperPi, 3DMark05, and Aquamark benches. Of course the FIRST thing I do is take a new chip out for an OC test drive - just to get a feel for it ... ;)

Last edited:
Back