• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 X4 very hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juff

Hey guys

X4 955 stock 3.2 ghz idle temp around 34 C.
When using prime95 or dvdfab the temp goes to 74 C.

The cooler is a brand new Alpine 64 pro.

Ive tried too use zalman super cooling grease, but the result is the same.
The system runs stable, but i do not like the temp..

cabinet is:
http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=27

Should i worry :confused:

Last edited:
Case isn't the best airflow, just fan in the front and one in the back?

Yea that alpine pro is weak, but with stock CPU settings they are too high. You got the cooler on right?

Yes you need to worry, AMD doen't like 60C+. Ohh what temp program? Try coretemp.

Worrying won't fix your problem... :D

Take action and solve the issues; that way you won't have to worry.

Your idle temperatures seem on par with other 955 chips; my 955BE idles at 37C while overclocked to 3.8GHz with 1.35V so you're not that far off on that area... This makes me think that your load temperatures may be due to some fact other than case airflow or heatsink installation...

Can I ask you to download/install these two programs:
- CPUz -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
-- Open three instances of the program and set them to CPU - Mainboard - Memory respectively.

- HWMonitor -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
-- Open the program along with the three instances of CPUz. Give the processor something to do (Prime95) and while it is a 100% and you see the temperature readouts on the program get to the highest you've encountered; take a screenshot (PrtScrn).
Save that screenshot and post it here so that we can see what voltages your cpu is getting from the motherboard and what temperatures you're reaching while at load.
Once we have that information we can give you more specific help.

PS: It would also help a lot if you added your computer's configuration to your signature so that we know what HW you're working with.

Case isn't the best airflow, just fan in the front and one in the back?

Yea that alpine pro is weak, but with stock CPU settings they are too high. You got the cooler on right?

Yes you need to worry, AMD doen't like 60C+. Ohh what temp program? Try coretemp.
Thx. Tried to remove one side of the case and the temp was around 62-64 c. Under full load. Better but still hot. Used coretemp and fanspeed :) is it the cooler then ?

Worrying won't fix your problem... :D

Take action and solve the issues; that way you won't have to worry.

Your idle temperatures seem on par with other 955 chips; my 955BE idles at 37C while overclocked to 3.8GHz with 1.35V so you're not that far off on that area... This makes me think that your load temperatures may be due to some fact other than case airflow or heatsink installation...

Can I ask you to download/install these two programs:
- CPUz -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
-- Open three instances of the program and set them to CPU - Mainboard - Memory respectively.

- HWMonitor -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
-- Open the program along with the three instances of CPUz. Give the processor something to do (Prime95) and while it is a 100% and you see the temperature readouts on the program get to the highest you've encountered; take a screenshot (PrtScrn).
Save that screenshot and post it here so that we can see what voltages your cpu is getting from the motherboard and what temperatures you're reaching while at load.
Once we have that information we can give you more specific help.

PS: It would also help a lot if you added your computer's configuration to your signature so that we know what HW you're working with.
Ok. Just seen your answer now. Thx, ill be back

Thx. Tried to remove one side of the case and the temp was around 62-64 c. Under full load. Better but still hot. Used coretemp and fanspeed :) is it the cooler then ?

Your cooler should perform slightly better than the stock cooler so it may be a bad mount. I would take it off and see if the thermal grease was spread all over the cpu by the pressure of the heatsink... If there are clear spots on the CPU or on the heatsink's contact area you'll know the pressure on the heatsink was uneven and you were not getting good contact.

That cooler may not be the best out there, but it should be able to hold your chip at stock settings from going that high on the temps.

Hey

well actually i had just one fan at the front blowing air our... Bought a Noctua 120mm fan, and mounted it on the backsite...

For the cpu i bought Arctic Freezer Pro 13.

No the temp is 52 C. under full load :)

changed fsb from 200 to 210 and the multiplier from 16 to 17. Max temp 55 C. 3584 ghz :) stock 3200..

should i go higher, or any advices :) ?

From where your at now, your not going to see significant gains in anything but heat from going higher, 55c is where you want to stop.. if it's 24/7 stable.. your good.. at that point I would worry more about tweaking ram speed and timings to get every ounce you can from what you have to work with.

Well actually i dont need to go higher,
Buuuut it is a littlebit interesting :).... maybe 100-200 mhz and thats it..

Im a bit of a movie fan, so this computer is most for compressing my blu-ray movies to mkv´s and mv4...... only cpu, no dxva.

thx for your help..

Back