• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600xt vgpu mod gone wrong...maybe, pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illogical06

Well, i volt modded my gpu core on my 9600xt and received mixed results. While the vmod was succesfull, the card is less stable now. The vcore changed from ~1.294 to ~1.378 (at max resistance). The thing is that it doesnt really yeild much gain if any.

Previously, the best i could manage for 3dmark01 w/out errors was 584/353 (500/297=default). Now when i change the memory speed to anything over 320mhz, there is alot of errors no matter what my vcore is set at.

I can still get decent clocks out of my core with the mod but my temps are really high like 64C. Previously it maxed out @ about 45-48C but i didnt reapply any ac5 so thats prolly the main problem for the radical change.

Here is a blurry webcam pic of the POT
10kPOT.jpg

And here is the ground
Ground.jpg

And this is the voltage controller...(really bad pic)
Pin7.jpg

I'm wondering why is the card so much more unstable now? Perhaps me not reapplying the ac5 caused the temps to skyrocket so much that the RAM becomes unstable after almost any change?

stockhatch said:
Very possible. Try to remount the sink with some AS and you might be good to go.
I simply didnt tighten the silencer 2 down enuff. But the problem still remains with the memory clocks. If i oc it at all now, it screws up hardcore. I tried to mod that too but i screwed up some how but to tell you the truth i don't really care whatsoever. I mean, if it goes out then i get a new goodie instead of this card which is old news to me now.

illogical06 said:
I simply didnt tighten the silencer 2 down enuff. But the problem still remains with the memory clocks. If i oc it at all now, it screws up hardcore. I tried to mod that too but i screwed up some how but to tell you the truth i don't really care whatsoever. I mean, if it goes out then i get a new goodie instead of this card which is old news to me now.
what are you cooling it with? ramsinks on the mem? whats the case temps?
you can bet any increase in voltage is gonna skyrocket the memory temps

rhino56 said:
what are you cooling it with? ramsinks on the mem? whats the case temps?
you can bet any increase in voltage is gonna skyrocket the memory temps

Absolutely. That memory gets very hot when the volts start flying.

Try overclocking the memory without changing the core clocks. Sometimes as core overclocks go up, memory overclocks go down. So a vddq mod might be in order.

-CaT

Back