• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965BE help (new to OC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dzj

Hello everyone.

I recently bought a used computer with the following parts:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
965BE c3 125w
650w corsair PSU
2x ati radeon 6870

I've had it for about a year now, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how it was running. And noticed that even at idle temps the cpu was sitting around 50c and would jump to around high 70c when under load. Thankfully, I didn't damage anything but it made me go out and buy an aftermarket cooler (hyper 212+) and some additional case fans. I'm now running around 25c idle and 50c under load.

However, I hope to get some more power out of the computer. But I'm really confused on where to start. I tried using AMD overdrive to OC and just by increasing the multiplier, I only reached 3.6ghz before a BSOD. I was going to touch the CPU VID, but it's already set to 1.4 and it fluctuates anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4. Not sure if I'm not approaching this the right way or if someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks

dzj, welcome to the forums. You should have a read of this guide, it's one of the best on the net for overclocking your cpu. I would also make sure you clean your case and tidy up all the wires before you start overclocking. If your temps are at 50 under load already you do not have much head room for overclocking.

Tell us more about your case. Make and model. How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have installed. When you say your are running 50c under load, what temp is that? Is that core (package) temp or CPU (socket) temp.

If you have not done so, please download and install these three programs that are standard tools around here and that most of us use to help others: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. Post back with an update.

Thanks for the replies, and I'll start reading the guide. I have a lot to learn it seems. Anyway the case is this one from what I can tell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

For fans I have 2 external fans (1 on top and one on back, I think both 140mm, 80mm). 2intake fans (both 80mm) one on side over the video cards and one in the front.

I want to say that it is the CPU socket temp, it's displayed under HWMonitor. The screencap was taken under load for 15mins.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6RcivZ7JJdHNjN6Tlo2aFBLcjA/edit?usp=sharing

I'm thinking maybe I might have hurt my cpu a bit since I probably was running it around 80*C for almost a year.

You CPU socket temp maxes out at 39c and your core temp at 47c. Those are great temps under load! What are you talking about man? I see no problems with the temps shown in your link.

This was his concern Trents, but you're right he has good temps now.
I've had it for about a year now, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how it was running. And noticed that even at idle temps the cpu was sitting around 50c and would jump to around high 70c when under load. Thankfully, I didn't damage anything but it made me go out and buy an aftermarket cooler (hyper 212+) and some additional case fans. I'm now running around 25c idle and 50c under load.
I wouldn't worry too much dzj, Your system has built in "safeties" and would have throttled or shut down randomly if it had been over heating. So if you haven't been experiencing shutdowns all the time over the last year you should be fine.
Have you read the guide that Mandrake referred to yet?
If so you should have all the green stuff disabled and Vcore set to manual which will stop your fluctuating voltage. This will give you control over the temperature since you are setting the voltage, Auto settings tend to overvolt which in turn causes excess heat.

Oh, okay, the CM Hyper 212+ purchase was came after the temp scare.

I'm having trouble finding the multiplier that I would adjust first in the bios, can anyone point it out to me:

IMG_20130306_115621.jpg

IMG_20130306_115658.jpg

Last edited:
it's in the first screen shot, CPU RATIO. Currently set to auto, you probably have to set it to manual, then you'll get an actual # to adjust.

Pls in the future can you attach the pics to the post. Go advanced and you'll see a paperclip open the dialog and upload your images. I can't get these links to open

Back