• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A+ Certified, can't wait.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Steveo989 said:
I will be able to upgrade computers with warrantys and it the warranty will not become void. :beer:

not quite. depends on the vendor. Some (like dell) require a dell certified technician. The local shop down the street may require it being worked on by them. Just check with who they got it from to see what warranties it could void.

However, congrats on the accomplishment! Believe it or not... 2 associate's degrees later (Computer Information Technology and Internet Technology)... and I have yet to take the test... LOL.

The test is easy *if* you study for it. As knowlegeable as some people are, there are some really asanine questions on the a+

for example: what are the common dot matrix printer pin configurations :rolleyes:

I got A+ certified a while back and it has certainly opened some doors for me. I have picked up two $10/hr + benifits jobs and loads of $30/hr freelance jobs because of it. I also got a web design contract worth a couple grand over the long run because of it (even though a+ has nothing to do with web design :D )- Not bad money for a college student. All my friends are slogging away for $6.50/hr at starbucks.

I would say the $ is worth it. I was able to get 1/2 off vouchers- anyone interested should see if they can get their hands on some.

My friend gets $40.00hr house calls he has a corvette thats all souped up and stuff. His house is amazing too.

Congrats!!!

Be careful Certs are almost addicting as OCing.

I have several of them A+, Network+, MCP, and MCSA

I just scheduled my last 2 tests for my MCSE Cert and then I getting ready to sign up to take 2 classes and 2 tests for for my MCDBA. I figure if my work is going to pay for me to continue my education why not right. LOL

I don't know anything about certifications. Would it benefit someone (like me) who works on local people's/business's computers as a part-time job while working on my Chemical Engineering degree? How do you go about getting certified and where do you go to take the test? Maybe someone could explain, or point me to a website.

My friend gets $40.00hr house calls he has a corvette thats all souped up and stuff. His house is amazing too.

Meh- I will get paid a couple hundred an hour once I get through law school. Eh, but $30 an hour aint bad for a college kid. When you think about it, $40 an hour really isnt that great for a full career.

nealric said:
Meh- I will get paid a couple hundred an hour once I get through law school. Eh, but $30 an hour aint bad for a college kid. When you think about it, $40 an hour really isnt that great for a full career.

i just want to know where you live that $40 an hour ISN'T GREAT!!!???

around here, $10.00 an hour makes you one of the 'rich' folks.... nearly $20.00 AN HOUR like my father makes people think him and my mom ARE rich.

I think he's suggesting the $40/hr job is more of a side-thing. He's right, if you end up working 5hrs a week, $40/hr isn't a lot.

I work part-time in retail and the rest I work freelance jobs. I actually end up netting more w/ my freelance work than I do at my part-time job.

Not to go off-topic, but you'd be surprised at what people are willing to pay to simply get their Word document they spent all night on, back. Some "fly-by-nighters" (I like to call them) charge upwards of $80 or more; I personally like to make things more fair than that. :)

I'm sure it's not hard to believe as most of us here probably know this, but there is a nice chunk of change in working for yourself, when it comes to computers. You just have to have the head for computers, a nose for marketing and a little business know-how.

The big cert to get is CISSP. Though its 250 questions, 6 hrs long, $450, and requires 4 years of exp (3 if you have a degree). I might be off on the amt of questions. Anywho, congrats on your cert.
The A+ is two parts and is $145 for each exam (core and OS). You should be able to easily get MCP (reccommend test 70-270) and Network+ (647 to pass I think). If you do that your only two exams away from MCSA. As A+ and Network+ together count as an elective. The MCSE is like 7 tests I think. MCSA is somewhat more down to earth and cheaper to get. I'm positive that the 70-270 counts towards MCSE as well as MCSA. Micosoft also has a semi-new cert. MCDST, that'd be cool for someone doing help desk and what not. Exams 70-271 and 272. You also get MCP if you take any of those as well. (All MS exams req 700 to pass)
To register for a test just sign up at VUE. (vue.com)
You weren't kidding about certs being addicitive lol.

i just want to know where you live that $40 an hour ISN'T GREAT!!!???

around here, $10.00 an hour makes you one of the 'rich' folks.... nearly $20.00 AN HOUR like my father makes people think him and my mom ARE rich.

I suppose wealth is all relative. If you lived in many countries, $10/hr (extrapolates to about 20k a year working full time before taxes) would probably put you at the top 1% of all wage earners. I would bet it even puts you in the top 5% or better internationally.

In the united states, making 20k a year makes you far below the average income(I think the average currently in the mid 30s range).

Assuming you make $40 an hour, you end up making 80k a year before, about 60k after taxes. Not a bad living by any standard, but the fact remains that most well educated professionals are capable of making six figures today- with far more job security than a word of mouth $40 an hour freelance tech support job (as well as nice little extras like health insurance)

EDIT: I realized that this is a pointless and probably insulting thread crap. Forgive me, I have been up all night and am getting delirous. :bang head

Steveo989 said:
I do believe the MCSE is the really big money maker. $200,000+ US.

What are you smoking. I guess you don't work in IT. A MCSE might land you a desktop support job for $30K per year. Even in the late 90's people weren't getting paid that. Its all about work expereince. Certs are just gravy.

$40.00hr/nothing? What are you smoking? That's 120k for 12hour work day for 5days a week and 50weeks out of the year. Unless you live in Cali it's pretty good money for no college.

Steveo989 said:
$40.00hr/nothing? What are you smoking? That's 120k for 12hour work day for 5days a week and 50weeks out of the year. Unless you live in Cali it's pretty good money for no college.

True, but how many people who work for themselves on the side (Consulting, freelancing, etc) really work 12hrs a day and 5 days a week?

exactly. I have 2 associate's degrees... and around here, the BEST, and i do mean BEST tech jobs offer about 12-15 an hour. the ONLY way i'm going to get anything better is to move to North Carolina or California.

Back