• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A conundrum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Put this here because I had no idea where else to stick it.

So, I recently discovered, even through cursory search previous to purchase, that r9 series have issues with the NF200 chip, which, of course my SR2 has and so do many other X58 motherboards.

Although, I have had no BSODs that people are reporting, the 2nd GPU is reporting a code 43, and not allowing CCC to start. I may be giving up too early, and perhaps its something completely different that's causing my issue but I somehow doubt it.

So what do you think I should do?

1. Sit on the 295x2 and wait untill I have enough money for a 4790k and a mid range mobo and probably (?) new RAM. (prolly a long time, 6 months?)

2. Newegg apparently doesn't accept returns on video cards, but ive heard stories that they do? Should I try crying to them?

3. Buy a $100 eBay X58 mobo that will accept one of my X5650s and does not have the NF200 chip (they do exist)

Ugh.

Interesting, I wouldn't have even thought that possibly being an issue (N200). I agree with ATM that it may be best to ask Newegg, although unfortunately they would probably force a 20% restocking fee.

Did you try disabling ULPS? I would look there for your code 43 issues on the 2nd GPU. That one going to sleep sometimes messes up a lot of things.

That out of the way, sell that sweet hardware you have (which is overkill as you don't use all those cores from what I recall, ever) and jump to modern times. :)

Did you try disabling ULPS? I would look there for your code 43 issues on the 2nd GPU. That one going to sleep sometimes messes up a lot of things.

I heard about that, but I could not find the setting anywhere?

Interesting, I wouldn't have even thought that possibly being an issue (N200). I agree with ATM that it may be best to ask Newegg, although unfortunately they would probably force a 20% restocking fee.

That'd be fine, or you know, information to make it work on the SR-2, that'd be wonderful as well lol, assuming it is the N200 and not something else.

I find it odd it would be the n200 too considering my symptoms do not match theirs at all. I have had NO BSODS whatsoever, it's been completely fine.

You can disable ULPS in MSI Afterburner for sure
Look in MSI AB settings....1st page towards the bottom IIRC.

Alright, I'll check that after I reinstall the 295x2, My 670s are back in atm.

I really appreciate all the help. Hopefully that is the magic fix, because that NF200 thing doesn't sound like it applies to me, some people on the EVGA forum with SR2s were complaining about it but some had no problems at all, some guy had 4 way crossfire 6970s on an SR-2 and said he did fine, my problem is more driver side... or... at least ill keep telling myself that lmao

What is ULPS anyway, it puts a GPU to sleep? Why?

Ultra low power state basically puts the card to sleep so it isn't pulling power when not needed iirc

Back