• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A moment of silence, one of the last Reserator users has been cowed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I was getting ready to put together my water rebuild today, and one of the components was still in storage. So I got it out of the closet, and as I picked it up I heard *slosh slosh*. WTF? I left some water in this thing after I cleaned it out??

Disassembled the thing, and everything in the bottom two inches was covered in a biologically based goop. *sigh* OK, start cleaning the goo and wonder if I can really get enough of it gone easily to call it sterile for the new loop build.

Then I noticed that the paint was failing. The Reserator v2 is covered entirely, inside and out, with black paint. It's one of the reasons I didn't fear using it much. As long as the paint was intact, there was no danger of galvanic corrosion, and I used corrosion inhibitors just in case anyway. Well, the paint is bubbling in spots all throughout the inside of the aluminum cylinder, and outright peeling on the base parts that come in contact with fluid.

Algae can be dealt with and prevented. I can protect against galvanic corrosion. Failing paint though? That would mean I'd need to strip all the paint off the inside of the thing, and repaint it.

Nope, not happening. The big black Reserator, the showpiece of my system, is now retired. "Whoa, what's that??" never got old when people saw it. Now I'll have to come up with a new and inexpensive reservoir system really quickly. I'm done spending money on this project, so even a microres is probably out of the question.

I'm sad. Conundrum is probably quietly happy that another aluminum water cooling part has fallen out of use.

I'll probably do a T-line. I need to go read up on how to do one properly. The "leg" of the T needs face upwards when bleeding to catch the air bubbles, right? And it needs to be in the line that leads directly to the pump in the loop? Any other 'hot tips' for setting up a t-line correctly?

T-lines are a pita. I've played around with a few setups back in the day and it was heaven on earth the day I got my bitspower cylinder res. However if you have no other option, I recommend 2 t-lines. One for filling and one at the top of the loop to let the air bubbles escape. Depending on your setup, you may be able to kill two birds with one stone and get away with one t-line but like I said, it will be a pita.

*Edit* If you send me a pic of your system and planned tube routing, I'd be more than happy to help you setup a t-line system based on my past experiences.

Last edited:
EDIT - I decided the resevoir and t-line options needed their own thread.

Last edited:
All of us are sad to see your old friend go. But it was aluminum, so I'll only drink half a beef to express my sorrow that your old friend left. Ohh, what's it worth for recycling?

All of us are sad to see your old friend go. But it was aluminum, so I'll only drink half a beef to express my sorrow that your old friend left. Ohh, what's it worth for recycling?

Half for your sorrow and the other half to celebrate a no longer mixed metal loop? It's funny, I had the same thought regarding scrap value. I might keep it as a desk trophy though. It still looks like some piece of high tech gear.

Con, are you drinking again? :rofl:

:muahaha::cheers:

He stopped at some point? :D

Cheers! :cheers:

Had a shot and beer. Now its time to go shop and restock and head to the bar. Bon voyage!

Back