• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new build for the good lady wife - advice needed please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Who Dares Gins!

Hi folks. First post and third build looming. I go several years at least between builds and never keep up with changes in technology so I have to start from scratch each time with hours of research. Help!!

My wife wants a computer on which to store and edit her photos. She's completely new to photography and has never used Photoshop. She wants the PC to sit on an existing shelf so it has to be fairly compact in size.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Get a micro ATX case something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-381-LL&groupid=2362&catid=2278&subcat=

2. Get an Intel 1155 MB but no idea what chipset

3. Go for a decent enough CPU but certainly not top of the range. I'm thinking i5 quad core Sandybridge.

4. Probably no graphics card as the onboard should be plenty for basic shopping and image previewing. Doubtful there will be any video editing.

I'm thinking about £500 tops. What advice would you give, and should I just say f#@k it and buy a second hand iMac that I can just hang on the wall?

Thanks.

Why don't you get a laptop with an USB keyboard and mouse? The tasks you describe doesn't seem to be very demanding. With a laptop you will avoid any space issue and it's a win that she will be able to take her work anywhere.

If you get a laptop on sale, there should not be a big price difference between the equivalent desktop, again, just for those tasks!

Back