• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Question on Fans and Splitting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaisedFist

Howdy all!
So, I have a quandary for you, I am getting a Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard and it has 5 fan power points on it, but I want to run 9 fans, so what do I do?
Easy, I buy a couple of 3-pin splitters and go home a happy man, right?
Well, no, not from what I hear...
Here's the thing, I'm going to be using Corsair AF120 and AF140 LED's, and they come in at 0.40 A, which is, if I hear from YouTube, I have no idea what it means, very high, AND if I put in a splitter and run 3 of these fans off 1 power point, it will f#@k out and not work.
Is this the case?
I need to know, because I'm building a rig for myself for xmas, and I want it to rock as hard as it can :clap:
Hopefully someone can help me with this problem, I do hope to get this headache resolved.
Regards,

K

Oddly I did not find the rating of the fan headers in the motherboard manual. I am shocked that they need that much power, must be bright.

If a motherboard doesn't specifically list anything, I would assume the header is capable of 12W/1A. I would run two of those on one header, but not three.

Perhaps get a fan controller or cut back on the number of fans...

Per the Corsair website the High airflow 120's have a 0.40A draw while the non-high air flow have a 0.30A draw. The high airflow 140's have a 0.23A draw. You could get away with 3 on one if you stayed away from the High Air 120's but to be completely honest, a powered fan hub will make your life a ton easier. From cable management to ease of assembly, they are completely worth the $10-15.

High AF120-sauce

Std AF120-sauce

High AF140-sauce

Swiftech 8-way fan hub

Back