• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a small heat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jermy

Registered
so i read the dolk's guide to ocing a phenom II and said that I should stop at 55 degrees
my processor when running prime95 at stock goes up to 60C
what is wrong?
stuff are in my sig

1. Are you at stock currently?
2. What heatsink and fan?
3. How many intake/exhaust fans on the case?
4. Is the case airflow unobstructed by the desk or any other things nearby?

Also, I removed the links from your sig - we only permit certain external links in sigs, you can find the full sig rules through the rules link at the top right if you are interested.

1. Are you at stock currently?
2. What heatsink and fan?
3. How many intake/exhaust fans on the case?
4. Is the case airflow unobstructed by the desk or any other things nearby?

Also, I removed the links from your sig - we only permit certain external links in sigs, you can find the full sig rules through the rules link at the top right if you are interested.

at stock went to 60C
stock heatsink and fan
1 front fan for ssd that doesnt need cooling,1 back fan like normal at the top
back isnt really obstucted but left side is a wall and back is like 20 cm from a wall

theres rules for sigs -__-

What goes up to 60c? Your processor? Your case? Your cores?

If it's your cores, then it's the default heat sink, and you'll need to look into an after market.

Would you care to post a HWMonitor read out from when you are blending?

uhhh core temps go up there
hw monitor says max 62C but usually its 60C
top back fan pulling air out
psu is at the bottom

Ok, as long as your sure your thermal paste application is good, I'd agree with skpwn and say you should probably invest in an aftermarket cooling solution. If by chance there is another issue unresolved, you will want a better hs/f if you plan on overclocking anyway.

If you want to try to get by without purchasing anything yet... You might do better on temps if you try pointing your top back fan blowing inwards or reposition it somewhere as an intake where its not pulling warm PSU exhaust... Right now you likely have negative pressure in the case, as your PSU is exhausting air, your top back fan is exhausting air, and the only intake you have is a front panel fan that often is fairly obstructed either by drives or front panel.

I'd move the top back fan to either the sidepanel blowing in on the HSF, or in the top panel, blowing down towards the HSF.

Also with more intake than exhaust, just slightly positive pressure minimizes dust buildup around gaps in the case.

I'd try temporarily moving the back fan around and seeing what it does for temps, or adding another case fan for intake. Those are your cheapest options.

If that doesn't help, or you want the biggest difference in temps, you could spend $30-50 on a new HSF and be in much better shape.

If you want to try to get by without purchasing anything yet... You might do better on temps if you try pointing your top back fan blowing inwards or reposition it somewhere as an intake where its not pulling warm PSU exhaust... Right now you likely have negative pressure in the case, as your PSU is exhausting air, your top back fan is exhausting air, and the only intake you have is a front panel fan that often is fairly obstructed either by drives or front panel.

I'd move the top back fan to either the sidepanel blowing in on the HSF, or in the top panel, blowing down towards the HSF.

Also with more intake than exhaust, just slightly positive pressure minimizes dust buildup around gaps in the case.

I'd try temporarily moving the back fan around and seeing what it does for temps, or adding another case fan for intake. Those are your cheapest options.

If that doesn't help, or you want the biggest difference in temps, you could spend $30-50 on a new HSF and be in much better shape.

actually both fans blow inwards and the psu blows down toward the ground
front fan is not obstructed because my ssd is stuck to the bottom

Do you think your PSU exhaust fan is removing air at the same rate or higher than the two other fans blowing in? If not, then warm air coming off the CPU heatsink and motherboard is accumulating in the case. I am no fan (excuse the pun) of the positive case air pressure theory. Just doesn't make sense to me. Jermy, the fan in the top/rear of your case needs to be exhausting and the one in the front needs to be pushing air in. The flow of air needs to be moving from front low to back high. As you have it now the fans in the front and the back are fighting against each other and the only fan that is removing hot air from the case is the PSU fan which probably can't keep up. Try what I'm suggesting and see if it helps. What do you have to lose?

Thats not how it is
It already goes from front bottom to top back
Psu is bottom mounted facing down so it doesnt affect anything

HSF standards for heatsink + fan. If you want a decent HSF without breaking the bank try checking out a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. I agree with the others though. Point your rear fan inwards with just your top fan used as an exhaust.

You are indicating that you've 1x front intake, 1x top exhaust and 1x rear exhaust fans right? If not, ignore our comments regarding fan placement.

You said "both fans blow inward".

HSF is "heat sink and fan"

See the picture attached to get an idea of how it should be.

Attachments

• case air flow.jpg
    case air flow.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 84
Oops if i sed both blow inward
The pic u gave me is correct except the top 2 fans arent present and i have no gpu

^^^ Well, whats illustrated is a negative air pressure layout. Dust bunnies love those :p

^^^ Well, whats illustrated is a negative air pressure layout. Dust bunnies love those :p

Yeah, but it removes warm air effectively from the inside of the case. Dust bunnies can be periodically blown out with compressed air.

However you set up the fans, make sure air is flowing. Ideally cool fresh air intake and warm exhaust air. Even with stock HSF (heatsink fan), I'm pretty sure it's not installed properly for temps to be that high at stock settings.

However you set up the fans, make sure air is flowing. Ideally cool fresh air intake and warm exhaust air. Even with stock HSF (heatsink fan), I'm pretty sure it's not installed properly for temps to be that high at stock settings.

How could i not install rite?
I think the mismatch of 95 W mobo and 125 W CPU has something to do with it

Your CPU is not 125 watt, it's 140 watt.

Attachments

• 140W.JPG
    140W.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 80
Back