• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a small heat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmmm, you're a fair way over what that poor little mobo is supposed to be doing

I'm sure it was one of the early production, C2 stepping Denebs. Later production versions had the C3 stepping and were more efficient from a power draw standpoint. The later ones were 125W TDP.

You'll need to look up the number on your CPU's heatspreader to find out which one it is, whether the 140W or 125W variant..... I don't see that the earlier 140W variant would work on your board though....

Yep, I guess they did have both a 125W and a 140W version now that I do more research. The model number on the top of the CPU would tell which one.

Yep, I guess they did have both a 125W and a 140W version now that I do more research. The model number on the top of the CPU would tell which one.

YES IT SAYS 125W
now can we get back on topic to find out why its so hotÉ
lol

YES IT SAYS 125W
now can we get back on topic to find out why its so hotÉ
lol

It's because you have inadequate cooling. You only have 1 fan in the front and 1 fan in the back, plus you're on a default heatsink. Being on a default heatsink alone is gong to limit your overclock because they are not made for super powered machines...they are made for very slight OCs.

I would look into adding another fan in the front, one in the back (if you have a case that can), or one on the panel pointing at the processor (again, if your case can). If you'd rather spend a little extra, you can get a nice after market heat sink for $30 - $40 on newegg.

^^^ Correct. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how good your heatsink is if the ambient temperature inside the case is already hot. Airflow within the case s paramount. Once you have that right, then get a heatsink.

^^^ Correct. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how good your heatsink is if the ambient temperature inside the case is already hot. Airflow within the case s paramount. Once you have that right, then get a heatsink.

my case can add 5 more 120mm fans lol
so now i should buy a few fans?(like 1 or 2 more)

It's because you have inadequate cooling. You only have 1 fan in the front and 1 fan in the back, plus you're on a default heatsink. Being on a default heatsink alone is gong to limit your overclock because they are not made for super powered machines...they are made for very slight OCs.

yes i know they are for very slight OCs
with no OCs its 60C

my case can add 5 more 120mm fans lol
so now i should buy a few fans?(like 1 or 2 more)

Yes, yateloons are inexpensive and work decently for the price.

Try and keep intake/exhaust as balanced as possible. (2 in 2 out)

However pressure has nothing on direct air cooling. You get cool outside air directly to the hot spot f your PC... thats going to be more important than maintainin balance or using a positive or negative designed cooling system.

it changes 30C from idle to prime95 after 1 minute
im from 3.4 OC to 3.7 but temps are the same
no voltage changes made

2VJx0.png

Last edited:
I would suggest you either snag up a CM Hyper 212+/Evo, which ever or better air cooler or if you want you can try a closed water cooling loop such as the Corsair Hydro series or Antec ones. I currently use a Hyper 212+ on a 1090T BE @ 3.6Ghz running prime I have yet to exceed 40C. I would be more concerned with upgrading your stock HSF before adding more fans. Grant it you definitely could use better air in your case. I would highly suggest, if you can afford it, get both at the same time. Get a couple 120MM Fans and a Hyper 212+. You will probably be happy overall.

How much thermal paste did you apply do your chip/HSF? Was it already applied before attaching it to the chip? If you applied your own what kind are you using and what method did you take on applying the paste?

How much thermal paste did you apply do your chip/HSF? Was it already applied before attaching it to the chip? If you applied your own what kind are you using and what method did you take on applying the paste?

it came with paste on the heatsink

Yes, yateloons are inexpensive and work decently for the price.

Try and keep intake/exhaust as balanced as possible. (2 in 2 out)

However pressure has nothing on direct air cooling. You get cool outside air directly to the hot spot f your PC... thats going to be more important than maintainin balance or using a positive or negative designed cooling system.
Well, pressure per se may not be important but through put (cool air going in the case and warm air being forced out), however you do it, is critical in my opinion. Cool air blowing onto a hot component may help that component but unless there is pressure relief in the case the heat coming off that component is just being moved aside and building up in the case.

heres the inside of my computer
purple is available fan slots and green is fans that are installed

closed computer with 2 fan slots
IaXnl.jpg

open computer
c073C.jpg

also one more thing super important...my WALLS

Xmn3Y.png

this is birds eye view

the top is a wall and the left is a wall

In answer to your earlier question about which you should get, it's both. If you want to overclock you need a better heatsink end story. I would suggest getting two more 120mm (or 140mm which ever fits) for the top of the case to pull air up and out. I have this configuration on my computer and it works quite nicely.

Someone suggested a Hyper 212+ cooler and I also recommend it. Dirt cheap and it is a very good cooler, I slapped 2 fans on it for what's called push pull and it keeps me at about 20C idle (which doesn't really matter) but more importantly it keeps my load temps in the 30'sC range.

The point to take home here is an after market HSF is going to greatly improve your heat problem :)

Back