• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-E Deluxe Shutting down at random

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crawdadman

Here's what I have brand new stuff here exept Video Card

A7N8X-E Deluxe MOBO
3200 AMD XP Barton
350 Watt Power supply
3 Sticks of Kingston DDR 400 FSB RAM
80 GB SATA WD Hard drive
Coolmaster case with fan in front and back.
Old Savage 4 agp video card. << I know this is a old card but it was working fine in my A7N8X Deluxe board with no problem

Ive Disabled fast write on the AGP and Also took it down to 1X AGP

What Is happening is it shuts down when it feels like it not under heavy load or light load just at random. Ive swapped out all the ram in any possible configuration I could think of. Ive updated the bios to 1013 and have all the latest NVIDIA Drivers on it. Please help cant think of much more to try. Also I have read some where about the chipset overheating because of a factory grease problem? Last thing the CPU is running at about 43 C and the MOBO is running at about 56 - 59 C. < Seems hot but not sure. :mad: Thanks for any respone at all anything i could try would be better that watching it reboot.

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!! :mad: 56 - 59 C!!!! :mad: That's a crazy high temp! Your CPU temp is about the same as mine though...

Using the ASUS Probe you can grab from their website, my recorded A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo temp is NEVER ABOVE 30c (in fact, I have never seen mine go above 25c)....

** edit ** just checked the Asus site and couldn't find the Pc-Probe. It is on the install mobo CD but here is a link to the possibly more updated version @MajorGeeks.
ASUS PC Probe 2.23.06 **

We have 3 of these boards in our office, and 3 of my friends ordered them too. One in our office and one of my friends both had the same problem you mention: Total Random Reboots. I never checked/asked about the "factory grease" you mentioned though. We RMA'd ours back to newegg and problem solved, both times.

The video card I don't think would be the problem (based solely on my experiences). Try going into the bios and going back to default settings. Then using the ASUS Probe, see what your temps are. If they are still accurate to what you mentioned, then your board is literally, TOAST.

I would suggest an RMA and possibly (if you can) not running your system again for fear of more damage to other components.

Where did you get the board from? and how long ago?

Last edited:
First off, I would like to Welcome both of you to the forums. Hope you stick around to teach and learn with the rest of us.

I agree with viper, indeed it does sound like a bad board. I would agree, and RMA the board back, it sounds as if it is just plain junk.

:thup: Thanks mad_utd!! :thup:

Long time reader....ocforums research helped me learn to build my system I have now!!! So now I'm getting into this forum thing and repaying (and having fun too!!) all the awsome people here... This is one of the few forums I have read that actually isn't bashing :argue: each other every post!! :clap: :clap:

Hopefully the board is from newegg. Those guys rock! Couldn't ask for a more perfect customer service system.

My 1900+ runs at about 55C all the time, and it's been fine for years. I recently had an issue with random reboots (A7N8X-Deluxe), turns out a capacitor in my power supply tossed it's cookies. Figure it's worth a look before you go to all the trouble of an RMA.

SlipViper said:
Hi from Buffalo as well!!

Are you saying your CPU runs @55c....that's fine, we are saying that the MOTHERBOARD is running at 56-59c, which is insane!

My bad, my motherboard is indeed 29C. Heh, yet another Buffalonian, seems to be a lot of us here. Maybe it's because we've got nothing better to do 6 months out of the year while it's snowing... :cry:

yeah that motherboard is too hot. I would not try to fix the heatsink on the board and just RMA it if you can. don't mess with it so the warrenty isn't voided. I have a A7n8X deluxe and it runs much cooler like 25-30C.

Temps

Okay well heres what I have going on now.
I have all my DDR Ram in and ive under clocked it at 166 so it thinks it has like a 2500 chip in it < It seems to be stable now > HMonitor is what i was using to get my tempature readings It seems as if it reverses the readings because with PC Probe The CPU is running at 56 and the MOBO at 32. Im thinking thats hot for the CPU even more so since I have it under clocked. Any more thoughts? If I have to run this bad boy Barton 3200 at 2500 im going to :cry:

Why wont that Asus Probe install for me? It says something about being 16 bit, and my subsystem wont run it.

Crawdadman said:
I have all my DDR Ram in and ive under clocked it at 166 so it thinks it has like a 2500 chip in it < It seems to be stable now > HMonitor is what i was using to get my tempature readings It seems as if it reverses the readings because with PC Probe The CPU is running at 56 and the MOBO at 32. Im thinking thats hot for the CPU even more so since I have it under clocked. Any more thoughts? If I have to run this bad boy Barton 3200 at 2500 im going to :cry:

I'd say that especially hot if it's under-clocked...

Could you please tell us where you got your mobo & cpu?? When we had to rma them back to newegg we sent the processors (Barton 3200+) back with the mobo's cuz we didn't know which was causing the problem.

And even @ 32c for your mobo, that is still way too hot, again, even more so since you have everything under-clocked.

As for the 16-bit asus problem with pc probe problem....all i have to say is :confused:

Where i got the stuff

I bought it all off of newegg exept the mobo i got didnt have SATA Opps! So I ended up trading it in for the Deluxe at a local puter shop. I bought a hot rod fan today so im going to see if i cant get those temps to drop and make it stable at 3200 instead of a 2500. I will update you all and please continue to give me your thoughts. As far as the PC Probe goes I had no problem getting it to install so my thoughts are about the same as above :confused:

Got it fixed

It was the Heat sink and fan after all. Put my Aero cooler on it and all is good. The CPU is now running at 48 C. Im all fixed up thanks to all who had input for my problem great site i will stick around and learn alot more im sure. See you all aournd THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:

Back