• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8 3870 APU with A75A-G55 build suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does D3 have a 1920x1200 setting?
I really would like to max everything out. I have a gateway p-7811fx notebook and loved it when it was new but when i got starcraft3 and a lot was going on it would drag. I dont want that if possible.
here is a card I saw
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
I will continue to do more research on what all i should look for. a 2gb card with crossfire is just too pricy and this one is still a little high for my budget. I tried to stick with at least 1gb, crossfire, GDDR5, 256-bit, and a decent amount of reviews.

If you want a better GPU, you're better off selling both APUs and the motherboard, and picking up a Phenom II X4 and a 970 chipset motherboard.

Best place to buy/sell used parts would be the various enthusiast forums. Here, HardOCP, TechPowerUp, Anandtech, overclock.net, and more. To gain access to the Classifieds here, you need 100 posts and a .edu, .mil, or an ISP (e.g. @att.net, @comcast.net) email address linked to your account.

970 motherboards you should be able to get new. You can get Phenom II X4s new or used, look at the same websites to buy used parts as well.

Well, that is tempting but I think im just going to build off of what i have. From what everyone has said, what is the best graphics card for under $150?

6870 if you can find one on sale. They usually hover at around $160...so if there's a sale it'll dip right into your price range.

There's nothing wrong with using the APU that you have (especially since it's based off the same architecture as Phenom II/Athlon II). He's just saying it's a waste of the IGP onboard but I would only say that if someone was going out to buy an APU and add a more powerful GPU to it. Since you already have it then it really won't matter all that much. The only negative about the APU's though are that they don't overclock very well at all though (I'm not sure if it stays that way if you're not using the IGP though).

For all intents and purposes, it's an Athlon II with some Radeon cores thrown on . It's unlocked too though...with a good OC it's a pretty decent CPU. Selling it and getting a unlocked Phenom II X4...maybe all that hassle really isn't worth some L3 cache. :D

Back