• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7 + P4 2.8D OC - your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thunder888

Just want to bounce some ideas of you guys for inspiration.:p

I have a P4 2.8C D-stepping installed on an ABIT IC7-MAX3 mobo with Transcend DR500 RAM. Problem is the following:
I'm busy experimenting with a stable OC. I can run the CPU at Vcore = 1.458 (famous ABIT undervolting) with an FSB of 215MHz for OC of 3010MHz with GAT at Turbo. The RAM is rated 3-4-4-8, where I run it.

The catch is Vcore:( and stability.

I've had the CPU at 3500MHZ (1:1 with RAM running spec @ 1000MHZ) but the Vcore had to be 1.8V. I really don't want to kill the CPU with such a killer Vcore. I've seen lots of guys able to run this sucker at 1.6V with a decent OC. As soon as I try even 220 FSB I need to bump Vcore up significantly. I can run @ FSB 235 if Vcore is 1.75V+.

Now, I was wondering - is this normal, or is it something else. I've ruled out the RAM as I've tested and tested it at all settings and there were no problems (pretty decent stuff:D ). As far as I can see, it's either my PSU or the mobo or, perhaps most obvious, the CPU.

Am I wandering in the dark, or am I missing something? Is something else causing the instability other than Vcore? I can get the system stable IF I raise Vcore to dangerous levels.

What to do? Please - lend a hand if you can.

Or it may be that you just don't have a "killer" 2.8 chip. I have a 2.4C that will run at 1.55vcore faster than my motherboard can keep up, but I also had a 2.4B that couldn't make 166fsb without feeding it 1.75 volts (which I did :p )

You can try a little more VAGP, or a little more VMEM, but it may just be that your processor isn't the overclocker you were hoping for.

1.8 is extremely high vcore to run at without prommie or at least a waterchiller i wouldnt count on your cpu life to exceed a few months at that vcore without some serious cooling

(HR)Titan said:
but if u have good cooling,
u still frying a chip with big voltage

btw i have vcore1.85 [email protected] on msi 645 with pin wire
and chip lived for one year

at extremely low temperatures electromigration isnt as rampant so running at higher vcores doesnt do the damage it would do on say a air or even an extremely well designed wc system

and a 1.8a is a diffrent nm die so it runs on higher voltage the same way a northwood runs at a higher voltage than a prescott does

Back