• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7 A Rev 1.1 MoBo + AMD Athlon XP 1700+ CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keith O. McKeever Jr.

Registered
Ok, I guess maybe I should have started with spec's from the system ...

Begin Stat Run
  • Windows XP Professional SP1
  • Generic Beige Mid-Tower Case
  • Antec TruPower 430W PSU
  • Abit KT7A Rev. 1.1 / A9 Bios
  • AMD Athlon XP1700+ AXDA w/ Cool Master HSF
  • 1536 MB Crucial CL2 PC133 SDRAM (3 x 512 MB)
  • 2 x 120 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM / 8 MB Spec. Ed. HD
  • 1 x 45.1 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 7200 RPM HD
  • 1 x 52x Creative CD-Blaster Drive
  • 1 x 40x/12x/48x Lite-On CDR/CD-RW Drive
  • 1 x 16x Delta DVD Drive
  • PNY Verto Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 64 MB AGP 4x Card
  • Creative SoundBlaster Live! Gamer 5.1 PCI Sound Card
  • Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 Adapter PCI Card
  • DLink 10/100 Ethernet NIC PCI Card
  • ADS Quad 4 - 4 Port USB PCI Card
  • 2 x 80 mm Case Fans

Now originally in this system was an AMD Duron 800 MHz processor, so being a speed freak you can understand my desire for more ... that was where the AMD XP1700+ came in ... I had thought that I had read every possible piece of information there was out there on it to see if I could get it to work because it seemed as if there was a good success ratio with having this done on a Rev. 1.1 board. I am truely beginning to believe that I am one of the unlucky ones who has one of the 15% of the boards that will not accept the XP CPU. Here is what I have done thus far:

• Standard CPU Swap w/ CMOS Clear
  • After Swapping CPU's Tried The Reset Trick
  • Removed All Excess Components Except Video Card, RAM, 1 HD
  • Put All Components Back In And Removed All But 1 HD
  • Put Duron 800 MHz Back In, Went Into BIOS And Set CPU Strength To 1
  • Put Duron 800 MHz Back In, Went Into BIOS And Tried Manually Setting Up For This Processor
  • Gave Up And Just Put Duron 800 MHz Back In Period

I cannot get the system through POST it seems because I get no beep, even trying the RESET trick that everyone else has tried. I am plum out of suggestions short of buying a new motherboard, which is I guess my last alternative. I was really trying to hold out on that so that I could save up and replace this motherboard with a good DDR motherboard, but I don't want to invest the money right now with all the money I already have tied up in my SDRAM for this board.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE FOR ME TO TRY?

Thanks for reminding me of that one ... duh how comes I forgot to post that part ... YES ... it is a good CPU tested it in my friends system ...

It is a brand spanking new processor in box AMD XP 1700

Nothing you can do, the 1.3 revision is the only one that accepts the xp's and 2000+ t-bred.

I realize that the 1.3 is the only "official" version of the board which supports the XP CPU but as I have read across many of forums and many of websites, there are many people who have gotten the XP CPU to work on a 1.2/1.1/1.0 MoBo. As I had seen, it was only about a 15% chance of failure.

An XP1800 worked in my KT7A 1.1, but only at default speed. Anything over 133 FSB, it wouldn't POST, and I'd have to clear CMOS.

when u say you tried the boot up trick,,,,did you cold boot holding thr delete key?,wait,hit the reset,shut down,unplug the cord,plug back in hold delete key,boot,wait,hit reset?
it could take up to ten times using this method.if its a good cpu it will boot.if u dont hold the delete key it may never boot.

Back