• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About my MSI 990FXA-GD65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah I forgot to mention that I even keep getting BSOD's on stock settings now.
Which absolutely shouldn't happen. Also, fps drops every 10 seconds.

Do a clear CMOS, then post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu, spd and memory.

Sorry Sjana I should have mentioned this in my first ppost. WELCOME!

My initial thought was you might be overclocking with FSB and pushing your ram beyond its stable point. But if your BSing at ALL stock settings I'd guess your most likely candidate to be one of the 4 ram stick being bad. After resetting cmos like Manny is suggesting you could run mem test on each individual ram stick. This is time consuming so you'll need a heavy dose of patience.

Another thought that just popped in my skull. You're pushing an 8 core FX and 4x4 ram through a 4+1 power phase. If the 8 core isn't enough to stress this board out, Maxing the ram slots out on top of that could be VERY disastrous.

Just a heads up.

Mobo suggestions:

1. Asus 990Fx sabertooth R2.0 (non gen3)
2. ASRock 990FX Extreme9
Some have had good luck with the Gigabyte line also, but do your research on these as certain revs have had many issues.

EDIT: Try pulling all but 1 ram chip and see if you still BS. I'll bet that board can't produce enough juice to power everything at once.

I'll have a look at the ASRock 990FX Extreme9. Because I personally hold a grudge against Asus Mobo's. I have good experiences with ASRock so far. This was my first MSI board, and possibly my last. Gigabyte has served me well in the past but I'm not sure about that nowadays.

I'll try a new Mobo when I have the money to spare :)

Yours,

Sjana.

I'll have a look at the ASRock 990FX Extreme9. Because I personally hold a grudge against Asus Mobo's. I have good experiences with ASRock so far. This was my first MSI board, and possibly my last. Gigabyte has served me well in the past but I'm not sure about that nowadays.

I'll try a new Mobo when I have the money to spare :)

Yours,

Sjana.

The gigabyte 990fxa UD3rev.4 is a decent board and a reasonable price if you'd like to stick with Giga. The biggest part of your problem is as Blaylock mentioned, the underpowered board for a very hungry processor. Even 6 phase boards struggle with an 8 core FX

Actually Blaylock the Msi MSI 990FXA-GD65 is a 8+2 power phase board, so it "SHOULD" be able to handle the 8150 but again it's an MSI board! If there are issues at stock settings even after the clear CMOS, I would address them as follows. Running prime for 20 minutes watching temps and the Cpu voltage. Then set the Cpu voltage manually to the high value of HWmonitor as long as the temps are in check. Set the Cpu Nb voltage to 1.225 and the Dram voltage to 1.55 if they are 1.5 sticks and then test for stability. If issues arise I would go with what you said about testing the ram.
View attachment 144000

Last edited:
I primarily use my PC for gaming, but since the FX-8150 has way lower Processes Per Core than for example and i5 or i7, it becomes kinda hard to run single threaded games on 3.6GHz. As such I would like to have at least 4.4GHz, but on this board it simply won't go over 4.2 and still be stable. I'll have a look at the Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 rev4.0, then decide between that one and the ASRock board. I'm going to Judo now though so I won't be responding for 3 or 4 hours, depending on if I hang around with my friends after.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Yours,

Sjana.

Quick question though, how do I set my sig on this site? It would be very convenient for people to see my specs without me having to post them.

For a gaming board the ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty is a great choice. It's priced below many of the High end boards and is still a capable overclocker. It doesn't have every option that the bigger boards do, but for gaming you wont need them.

Bob did a nice review of this board here. He was able to achieve about 4.5Ghz though I'm sure he had better cooling than the CM 212 EVO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358
ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$84.99 YOU do nOt want this thing. The replacement for the 970 UD3 that finally surfaced as Rev 4.0.

Now if you can be assured of getting this board...
GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#ov
It might be fairly okay. But it is another of those boards that the majority of us do nOt have and no experience to help a newbie with/about.

BUT here is what we have been finding is too too often the case today with GIGA AM3+ mobos.
Cons: Problem with this (GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. ???) mobo is it cannot handle top of the line processors. I have the FX-8350 installed so I don't really know if it's the 8 cores or the 125w required, but when playing games that utilize a lot of resources (BF4, Shogun) a lot of crazy things tend to happen. The keyboard sometimes doesn't work and keys start locking (even bought a brand new keyboard and same thing) The NB emits so much heat you feel faint. Eventually, it just shuts down. This all while CPU temps seem to stay stable.

I will place in my other computer with a 95W processor and see if that works before I RMA this.

That sounds exactly what has happened with GIGA AM3+ that we have seen in that they just don't seem able to push a full on 8 core AMD processor without a problem. Not sure all or every last board of a certain model will do the same, but just too dang iffy today with GIGA.

This is why when a user really wants to know what we believe is the "route" to journey with a mobo buy...we try only to recommend that which we both use and have helped 100's of users with.

RGone...ster.

Back