• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About ready to throw my MX510 at a wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

Okay, I made a post back around 4 months ago about the issues I've been having with my MX510 and it has only gone downhill. Don't get me wrong, this thing performs great in almost every way except one... and thats the buttons.

All of them I have had (about 5 or 6 of them now), have developed button "stickiness" and resistance issues within about 2 days to a month of having them. The best I can describe it is that the plastic top piece does not actualy sit on the swtich. When you press the button it it has to travel to the switch. Right before it meets the switch I get resistance and a click. It doesn't sound like much, but trust me its extremly annoying when your using it. Try to imagine as if there were a bunch of crumbs underneath your button... Infact thats what I thought was wrong wiuth my first mouse when it started failing.

Logitech replaced them every time with no hassle but its starting to really get to me now. The newest mouse I got is by far the worst, both of the buttons demonstrate this stickiness issue and the scroll wheel grinds instead of clicking.

I'm out of ideas... I payed 50.00 for this mouse when it was brand new and I don't think its unreasonable to expect good performance from them. The people with customer service are always nice and helpful, but they never provide me a solution. Its always just "We will be sending you a new one". While thats great that they back up their products, some true support and a solution to this problem would be nice. I have tried my own solutions on the old mice after the new ones exhibited the same problems and I have not yet found a solution. I have tried everything from tightnening the screws to heating the plastic top piece and rehaping it (which was a very bad idea.).

hmm...
Not sure if the open mouse would void the warranty, but i would rather take it apart and get rid of the problem. OK, the first thing is to find out where the buttons are meeting the increased resistance during the plunge. If there is nothing blocking the way, i would see about removing some of the distance by adding something to the pushing section.

Well, I only opened the mice after I got a new one from logitech. They don't make you send back the old ones. I've had the one apart lke 20 times now and tried addiing shims and stuff but none of that worked well. The fact is I shouldn't have to at all.

I just think its a flaw in the way the top piece is being made. They should go back to the normal seperate button design which provides better feedback and is more reliable.

if you dont like the design, maybe you should look at other mice. the razer diamondback comes to mind

it sounds like you have a bag of those mice just chilling around :)

I agree that you shouldn't have to mess with inside of the mouse to make it work, could you strike a deal with logitech, they get 6 MX510s and you get one MX518?

I think that the best way would be to ask for a refund and look for another mouse.

Why should I have to buy a new mouse though? I already payed 50.00 for this one. I never had any issues with my mx700 back when I had that. I think this is just a flaw in the design of the mx510. I checked out a mx1000, it seems like the click on that is much more solid and I don't see any compaints about that yet. Maybe I could convince logiech to upgrade me to that, or as kodiak sugested the mx518. I wonder if the 518 will be any different though? It seems like it is essentialy the same mouse externaly.

I have never seen this problem with MX510s... try someone elses MX510..

and as a last resort, send me your defective MX510 :santa: /sarcasm

I've read about people having the same issue. I just don't understand how I managed to get like 5 all with this problem!

every time i hear of someone haveing the same issue with a product, 5 replacements in a row, and its not a common, everyone has it problem, i call it user error.

in your case, its a mouse, and its hard to click a mouse wrong. :)

send logitech an email, tell them whats going on, and request that a bag of these not working mice should be replaced with an mx-1000 (which feel VERY nice to use, wish i could afford one)

yeah, i havent heard about this issue before either, which makes me thing you just dont care for the design (which is understandable). thats why i suggested looking at other mice. im sure you could unload 5 mx510s for $10 each and get a diamondback or a different logitech if you feel so inclined.

personally i agree with zip here, by the sounds of it, it's not really anything wrong with the mouse so much as a feature of the construction you don't like...

lilneel12 said:
y don't they ask for them back, thats pretty weird

maybe they don't want a pile of faulty mice?

then again since they just released the mx518 maybe they have a few of these sitting around

but whats stopping him from getting a functional mouse, telling them he didn't, and getting another one? After 5 replacements to one person, they should actually suspect him of this, unless they know there is a flaw with the 510.

lilneel12 said:
y don't they ask for them back, thats pretty weird

Because these mice probably cost them less than a dollar to make.

Anyway, Its not the design I don't like its just I feel there is a flaw in the design of the 510. I had a 700 for almost a year and never had a single issue with it. I sold it and that person is still using it without any issues. My best guess is that they had a bad batch of mx510s and the replacements I have recieved are all from this bad batch.

I'm not the only person with this problem.

http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10138234
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10137701
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10137246
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10135470
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10135470
http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10128824

Theres just a few recent ones. Trust me, this is ALOT more anoying than you would expect it to be.

if you're having this much trouble with it then talk to logitech, tellt them the whole story then ask for a refund or upgrade.

btw i really, really doubt it costs them a dollar to make one of these mice

subtotal said:
btw i really, really doubt it costs them a dollar to make one of these mice
You would be surprised how cheap it is to mass produce these mice.

I talked to logitech support today. I really feel like I am getting snubbed by them. They told me they would only send one more replacement. I told them I didn't want anymore replacemtnes of the same mouse that obviously has problems and they said they would send me a mx500 as an "upgrade". I asked three different people to speak to a manager and they all told me I couldn't. This sucks. I don't know what to do now.

Where did you hear that? The guy I talked to said they said they never do upgrades or refunds. I'm going to try calling back monday to speak to a manager.

Weird. I hope I don't get this problem with my mx510 at work. I've had it for a few months now and I have had none of these problems.

However, I have the Microsoft wireless set of keyboard and mouse at home that I've had for over a year and they have been perfect. If you go for another mouse at some point, I'd check those out :)

Back