• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time for i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sam, I don't run at 4300 because of the voltages. To me anything past 4.0 you start to see a loss of performance vs. wear and tear. Like Miahallen said, if your running above say 1.35 then your really not saving anything anyways. As for being close to your score using turbo, notice that your single core performance is faster, but your Multicore is slower.

Since your an encoder, you would think that the second option would be more desireable for you.

Turbo = Gamers (What the Dual Core user wants)
Non-turbo = Encoders/Multitasking (What the Quad Core user wants)

I have my vcore set at 1.36. My VTT at 1.303. My DRAM at 1.65. I even set my PCIE to 105 to give my mobo some breathing room.

I thought one of the main points of this was to lower temps (and power consumption) at idle...but if you're at 1.36V at idle...it not really going to happen :confused:

Heat load and power consumption increase in a linear fashion with clock speed, but exponentially with voltage. So without major voltage cuts, you're not saving nearly as much power/heat ;)

haha....atleast I think some can be saved. Last weekend I tried again with straight ocing at 4.20GHz, idle was 1.376 and 1.392 load.
The thing that annoyed me most was....the cpu fan never drops below 1400rpm. It remains at 1500rpm most of the time.
http://i46.tinypic.com/j5h2sx.jpg

Somehow, the application that I use for transcoding seems faster with turboboost mode.

Last edited:
haha....atleast I think some can be saved. Last weekend I tried again with straight ocing at 4.20GHz, idle was 1.376 and 1.392 load.
The thing that annoyed me most was....the cpu fan never drops below 1400rpm. It remains at 1500rpm most of the time.
http://i46.tinypic.com/j5h2sx.jpg

Somehow, the application that I use for transcoding seems faster with turboboost mode.

Well...you will save some power ;) Just not as much as possible with lower vcore :p

It's very possible your transcode program doesn't take advantage of multiple cores (if so, you should look for another :p ).

When I relayed my experience with OCing with Turbo...
Really interesting. Any you're using the P55-UD3R right?
I tested like this a little with my i5 750 on the UD3R and maxed out at 165MHz (170 would not get into Windows).

I think your boosted core is very stong Mine was not so much.

I could run much higher, but I had to manually change Vcore which prevented C1E from functioning, and really negated any real bennefit.
...my vcore was ~0.84V at idle and 1.26V load...that's why this got me excited...but now looking back over your results...that's not what you're getting :(

Hey guys. Is there really much of difference using turbo boost or not? Does having a higher BCLK up make things really much faster when not using turbo?

I can get up to 3.8Ghz without any issues. My temps get near 65-70c at load and seems pretty stable. What's your take on turbo boost or no turbo boost?

Shazam!

Best%203DMarkScore.PNG

You only live once. Intel's limit is 1.45 right? Well thats my limit too. I think it is safe to say that Intel is ALWAYS playing it safe. I have seen people running their chips with crazy volts. If mine dies, I will just call Intel and get it replaced.

WoW.........I wouldn't know what to say. :)

Are those score suppose to be great? I've never bench it so I haven got any ideas.
I only have an entry level graphic card. Shall I run it anyway? How long does it takes?
I saw the file size too large to download....so kinda hesitated.

Great score bud. :)

It takes about 5-10 min. to run the benchmark.

3DMark05 is one of the benchmarks required for forum wars.

Ask Miahallen if thats a good score. :)

I beat out alot of Extreme i7s

http://service.futuremark.com/index.action

Thats the link to look at benchmark results to make comparisons.

To give you an idea, the very fastest system on 3DMark05 scored a 52095.

My Score on my Q6600 was 14000ish.

Darn it, I ran a wrong one. It is a PCmark Vantage...and almost finish. Is it any good?

Scores are decent...but in both cases, you're pretty CPU limited (esp '05)...you need to crank on that thing a bit harder :D

Nice work man...you gonna play in the Warz? :fight:

yeah PC mark vantage is ok too, 3DMark takes more advantage of a gaming system, while PCMark is more for all around PCs

Back