• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Absurd things people say about PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the most absurd thing i ever heard was from my father. he had just gotten some budget compaq desktop with a celeron processor. this was right around the time that i built cobalt, with an athlon xp 2800+ barton core.

HIM: how much gigahertz on your processor
ME: uh, 2.1
HIM: ha! mine is a 2.6! i bet you wish you didn't spend so much money to build your own computer now

yeah...i really envy his goofy compaq that doesn't even have an agp slot...

ONE said:
If someone told me that they had things that they couldn't afford to loose, I would aks a few questions and have a closer look before simply saving the my documents to a disk.......

Exactly a good example - the CEO of our company saves ALL of his documents to c:\ drive - i dont know why but he just liukes it - he hates browsing directories

if that tech guy did his computer he would of lost him about 4 years worth of dcocuments!

when ever i back u his system - i move them all to the my docs folder on a seperate parition ( as well as back em up on cd and dvd) and he still saves em to C drive

It is like okay - what about the person favorites?
What if they use outlook express? you going to get their emails and back them up?
what about certain programs - like BOINC? going to b ack up those download WU's ?

there is SO much more then just backing up the My Docs folder, but so many people dont think that is the case :(

Mr.Guvernment said:
Exactly a good example - the CEO of our company saves ALL of his documents to c:\ drive - i dont know why but he just liukes it - he hates browsing directories

if that tech guy did his computer he would of lost him about 4 years worth of dcocuments!

when ever i back u his system - i move them all to the my docs folder on a seperate parition ( as well as back em up on cd and dvd) and he still saves em to C drive

It is like okay - what about the person favorites?
What if they use outlook express? you going to get their emails and back them up?
what about certain programs - like BOINC? going to b ack up those download WU's ?

there is SO much more then just backing up the My Docs folder, but so many people dont think that is the case :(

That is why I like XP/2k. Most things (such as emails, favorites, and documents for each user) are located there. Makes transitions a lot easier compared to 9x.

rebelwarlock said:
the most absurd thing i ever heard was from my father. he had just gotten some budget compaq desktop with a celeron processor. this was right around the time that i built cobalt, with an athlon xp 2800+ barton core.

HIM: how much gigahertz on your processor
ME: uh, 2.1
HIM: ha! mine is a 2.6! i bet you wish you didn't spend so much money to build your own computer now

yeah...i really envy his goofy compaq that doesn't even have an agp slot...

This just proves how some (most actually) people think "Bigger is better". Sometimes it is, but sometimes its not. For instance more RAM is generally better. But just because one has more GHz does NOT make their computer faster or better.

dark_15 said:
That is why I like XP/2k. Most things (such as emails, favorites, and documents for each user) are located there. Makes transitions a lot easier compared to 9x.

For XP emails and fav arent located in the my docs folder?

they are clocated under

C:\Documents and Settings\USER ACCOUNT\favs
C:\Documents and Settings\USER ACCOUNT\My Docs

Email well depends on outlook or outlook express or thuderbird - u got to go looking in\ local settings\ directories to find that if u dont want to use the export option - which in outlook is useless and takes forever :(

I think I needed to clarify that statement... my bad. All I do when I transition for computer to computer, all I do is copy C:\documents and settings\(insert username here)...

It is a lot simpler to copy one folder (which has all your account settings, prefs, favorites, email, etc.) than to go hunt and peck in windows 98...

Working in electronics retail, you get to deal with a lot of knowledge-deprived individuals. :)

==========================

Customer: I bought some memory from another store the other day and after I installed it, the computer won't turn on anymore. *puts ancient Celeron 400 tower on counter*
Me: Can I see the packaging your new memory module came in? *inspects package.... DDR400*
Customer: The memory thingy wouldn't fit properly into the slot, there were these grooves that wouldn't fit, but I wanted the memory installed, so I just pressed down on the RAM like I was told until it clicked.
Me: *Inspects sytem.... PC100 SDRAM slots... with 256 MB DDR400 module JAMMED into it.*

=========================

Me: Can I help you sir?
Customer: I installed the memory you sold me an hour ago into my computer. It started up alright, but about 5 seconds after that I heard a sizzling noise and now the computer won't start at all.
Me: Lets take a look at that computer. *Lifts a dust-clogged Antec SX1040 onto the counter*
Customer: I read on the internet that if you install DDR400 into an AMD instead of DDR266 that it will blow up.
Me: *blank stare & shakes head*

I sold the guy a 512 MB module of Kingston Value RAM DDR400 for use in an old Asus A7V266-E & T-Bird 1400 system. I open it up... there's a THICK layer of nicotine & dust clogging every orifice of the system. So much dust in the chipset fan that it doesn't turn. The CPU fan turns maybe once every 2 or 3 seconds and then stops dead. Turns out buddy broke off a couple capacitors when installing the memory module and tried to blame it on me for selling him DDR400 for a DDR266-based system. This happened TODAY. :)

Customer: Will this plug into my UBS port?
Me: *shakes head*

Customer: I want to plug in my really old printer with the spikey connector into my USP ports.
Me: Well, if such a device did exist, you'd need a parallel to USB converter?
Customer: What's parallel?
Me: Parallel is the older cable connection type used by some peripherals like printers & scanners. It mainly uses a 25-pin connector like the one you were referring to earlier as the "spikey connector."
Customer: What's this USB? Is it the same as my USP ports?
Me: *Shakes head...*

Customer: I've got wireless speakers. I don't need a sound card.

Customer on Phone: That system comes with Windows XP right?
Me: Yes, Windows XP Home Edition is installed.
Customer on Phone: I don't want XP Home Edition, it's just an upgraded version of Windows 95 and it crashes all the time. I only want Professional.
Me: How did you come to that conclusion?
Customer on Phone: My brother-in-law told me. He works for IBM.

Customer: The most memory I can put in my computer is exactly half of the computer chip Gigahertz.
Me: *pauses...* Where did you hear that from?
Customer: My brother. He works for a computer company.
Me: The truth is that today's desktop Pentium 4 & Athlon-based systems can handle up to 4 GB of memory, regardless of the CPU's actual operating frequency. AMD's 64-bit CPU's can handle even more.
Customer: Yeah, but it can't utilize all of the memory EM BEE's without the system getting really slow.
Me: *shakes head...*

Customer: I can't burn DVD's in the computer I bought from you yesterday. You told me that I could burn a DVD, and this drive won't record. I can't make my recovery disks either. I want to return it.
Me: *Plugs in his computer @ service desk*
Me: If you wouldn't mind, show me what you do when you want to burn a DVD.
Customer: *Navigates to Nero... drags his files over... hits burn....Nero asks for a blank DVD to be put in*
Customer: *Inserts DVD label-side down.. and you could plainly see the label*
Me: Sir, the drive works fine. :)

Fellow Sales Associate: Linux is unstable. I tried to upgrade my Windows 98 to it, but I didn't get an autorun screen when I put the CD in.
Me: *ROLLS EYES.*

Customer: I like my AOL.
Me: *Runs for the hills...*

Fellow Tech: What's wrong with this system. The video card isn't being picked up.
Me: Fresh Windows XP install, right?
Fellow Tech: Yep, with Service Pack 2.
Me: You've installed the latest chipset drivers for this motherboard? (NForce2 based)
Fellow Tech: They are built into Windows, and the ones available from NForce are buggy & slow the system down.
Me: *shakes head...*

Customer: I have 2 computers at home. One is a 256-40-1.2 and the other is a 512-80-2.6. My sister told me that we can't get these 2 computers on the internet because they don't have enough drive RAM. Where can I get more.
Me: *Shakes head...*

After they leave...

Fellow Sales Associate: Those guys are idiots. What the hell kind of system is a 256-40-1.2? N00bs.
Me: Hey retard... try using your head for something other than a hat rack. 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 1.2 GHz CPU :)
Fellow Sales Associate: Shut up. *walks away*

It's always a barrel of laughs @ work, having to keep a straight face when hearing some people (both customers & fellow staff members) talk about things they really have no clue about. Ignorance truly must be Bliss. :)

Last edited:
You shack your head a lot haha. Any way everyone knows its true xp home is just a upgrade of 95. Sure it uses different file system and maybe a slight improved GUI and kernel but really non os that matters. What matters is that it still says windows on it.

dippy_skoodlez said:
I build computers for people, and use 2500+s a lot. I buy pc3200...

so?

Pc3200 is $40.99 at crucial.com
Pc2700 is $40.99 at crucial.com

;)

I don't know about your 2500+ CPUs, but mine runs stock at 166 MHz FSB, not 133 MHz as he said in his post. . .

That's what he was referring to, not to the fact that there was PC3200 RAM installed. Anyway, unless you are going to overclock your system, there is no real need for PC3200 on an AMD 2500+ system.

Ok this is no joke right here i just remembered it. My brother was taking this computer class.(brother dosnt really make up stuff so I believe him since like 6 people told me). Any way the teacher was telling a story about how a year before he told people dust was bad for their pc and they should clean it off. (we live in mountians so a lot of stupid hilbillies) One kind went home and not sure how he was smart enough to unscrew it but he toke his mobo from his pc and stuck it in his dishwasher. After that he complained to the teacher that he followed his advice and now his pc wont work. The teacher may have been lieing not sure but if not then thatsjust crazy.

i have heard all sorts of great things...."I'm good with hardware just not the software" coming from the kid who shorted out his first motherboard by taking out the risers.

He's also posed the questions like "does the OS go on the motherboard or the harddrive?"

Sleeved *most* of his psu and other wires....but had ugly *** big frays at the end of the sleeves.....

The things that have happened to his poor rig....

He wanted his mobo to have an Nvidia chipset because it would work better with his nvidea video card....

He skipped out on waiting a bit for a DFI Sli mobo to grab an ASUS because the overclocking options were easier..

he's invested in pc4000 ram and now doesnt even want to try to OC and is so afraid of voltages its not funny (even with WC)

i just wish i could afford to buy the lad a pc reality check....

--------

I took a part to a "customers" house and ended up listening to his grandma yap about this online game she plays, her comp locking up and how it was the new mouse this and that sometimes these people just don't stop ..

People saying they are good at hardware is funny.

Cause relatively speaking, it's so simple now. Almost anyone can buy the stuff and build a box, it's all colorcoded with big instruction manuals and simple cabling and stuff.

Imho, being able to build a box without screwing up doesn't mean your are good at hardware. It means you are good at putting stuff together. If you can do hardware hacking, soldering your own stuff (by your own design even?!) and really modifying the hardware without screwing up, then you are good!

I can misconfigure hardware faster than anyone I know. I'm good at it too it seems. j/k :beer:

XWRed1 said:
Imho, being able to build a box without screwing up doesn't mean your are good at hardware. It means you are good at putting stuff together. If you can do hardware hacking, soldering your own stuff (by your own design even?!) and really modifying the hardware without screwing up, then you are good!
well, im glad to say the last system i built completely from scratch posted fine on first boot and had only 1 problem- flipped floppy cable.
ive done some crazy ghetto mods that worked great too, so i consider that good at hardware :)

You would be amazed or atleast I am. I know some kids at school tried to take a PC apart and put it back togather and they screwed it up. I mean how in the crap can you screw something up when it is pretty much forced to fit for each object.

XWRed1 said:
People saying they are good at hardware is funny.

Cause relatively speaking, it's so simple now. Almost anyone can buy the stuff and build a box, it's all colorcoded with big instruction manuals and simple cabling and stuff.

being good at hw means being able to fix some one else hopeless pile o crap and building good matched systems without choke points to me.

Nobody mods their cdrom.

And I have seen too many people who try to volt mod their junk end up with JUST junk..

You would be amazed or atleast I am. I know some kids at school tried to take a PC apart and put it back togather and they screwed it up. I mean how in the crap can you screw something up when it is pretty much forced to fit for each object.

Yeah I've seen that... then you are bad at hardware! :D

being good at hw means being able to fix some one else hopeless pile o crap and building good matched systems without choke points to me.

Yeah... but too many people seem to say it when they merely follow directions without screwing up.

Nobody mods their cdrom
I painted my ROM bezels and made the LED's show with new colors. Now to make a death ray shoot out of it when some one looks at it. haha the blue light is just a distraction.
Oh wait, I am not that good....:D

i've got a few to add.

from my mum's friends when we were disscusing digital cameras
"isn't the film for those really expensive?
- she was dead serious

my mum once asked to to take the "hard drive" out of her computer, she went up to the dairy. she came back and asked where the hard drive was
<- points to table
she then asked me where's the hard drive and whats this?

my dad asks me how to download photos from his digital camera on a weekly basis, even though there's a program that does it for him. oh well it used to be very 5 minutes.

it took me 2 months to convince my dad that there WAS a big difference between my 2000+ and his pentium-100MHz

oh yeah, when my mum got broadband she couldn't get it to work so she asked me to help her.
iit was one of those deals where they ship you a single port usb or network adsl router. anyway i look at the bak of the computer. i found the problem after 2 seconds. the usb cable was plugged into the network port. i asked why it was pluged in there. "it doesn't fit anywhere else" she told me.

i then asked why she hadn't just used the netwok cable and was told that there was no place to plug it in...

when she first plugged everything in the phone stopped working, she'd plugged the line to the dial-up modem into the network port...

which leads me to my sig... i think this whole thread explains it

Last edited:
Back