• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acheiving 1866 on Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvrsummer2

Hey all, I have an AMD PhenomII x4 @3.7ghz.

W/ 8gb(2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance 1866

And the Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 Mobo

I can get it at 1600 no prob. But does anyone know how to get it up to 1866? I tried to bump the FSB to 233. But it would not boot. Kinda new to tinkering with a mobo.:shrug: Usually happy to just run stock. These sticks are on the approved list for the board. I have a nice Corsair H80 so heat is no prob! Upgraded BIOS to latest (F7).

Does anyone have any experience with this board??

You can just change the memory multiplier. When you changed the fsb, you were increasing the CPU frequency as well by quite a lot.

Not sure exactly how the setting is listed in jiggy BIOS. If you list the ram options or multis, I could tell you which one to use.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Mem multi only goes to 8x which is 1600. I see a setting for DRAM OPEC or something like that. But no boot when I set it to 1866. Need to adjust the voltage?

No, something else is missing, but it isn't a voltage issue. I used a jiggy 990fxa, and I know the ram multi goes higher.

Maybe you arent looking at the right setting. I haven't used jiggy enough to remember off the top of my head, and I am on my phone currently... Someone around here with their boards (ud3, ud5, ud7) can point you in the right direction tho I am sure... I just don't remember how the ram dividers are labeled in their BIOS. :-/

There is a divider for 1866 ram, and that's the only setting you need to change. Not sure how to tell you to set it.

Also consider that the Deneb phenoms' memory controllers aren't as strong as the Bulldozer cores, which is what the 9-series boards are optimized to run with. The board may advertise 1866 speeds, but without some serious tinkering, it might be hard to get a deneb to do that. Though running at 1600 does make things look promising. Just something else to consider.

For what it's worth I am using this board with a bulldozer, the option ranges to x12 and I'm running my 1600mhz gskill at 1866mhz just fine.
Also, what X@nder36 said was my guess as well.

Also consider that the Deneb phenoms' memory controllers aren't as strong as the Bulldozer cores, which is what the 9-series boards are optimized to run with. The board may advertise 1866 speeds, but without some serious tinkering, it might be hard to get a deneb to do that. Though running at 1600 does make things look promising. Just something else to consider.

+1

You're lucky if you can get a Deneb to be stable with memory at 1600. The motherboard's not the problem.

so i have a 990fx-ud3 with an Fx-6100 and cant get my ram to run above 1333.. I cant even get it to recognize more than 12gb (though in the OS it says I can only use 8).. I have tried to adjust some of the multipliers but it just wont boot and changes it back to the default 1333.. I have 4x4 Corsair Vengeance-1866 and im starting to think that this RAM just isnt compatible.. I am reading that my FX-6100 can only use up to 1866 which im OK with but I cant even get past 1333... Any help or advice?

When using any Phenom II CPU on a 970 or 990 chipset MB, the mem multiplier will only go to x8, to go higher, you need FX chip. Also, for any MB, the auto config for mem speed don't always set the right timings. Like if your ram is 9-9-9-24, the MB may set it to 9-9-9-40, it may run ok or not with that setting.

Mem multi only goes to 8x which is 1600. I see a setting for DRAM OPEC or something like that. But no boot when I set it to 1866. Need to adjust the voltage?

When using any Phenom II CPU on a 970 or 990 chipset MB, the mem multiplier will only go to x8, to go higher, you need FX chip.

And the further you flash forward to the newer bioses the worse that gets. The bioses become more and more optimized for the FX-series processor.

And the further you flash forward to the newer bioses the worse that gets. The bioses become more and more optimized for the FX-series processor.

Hi guys, new to the site.

I am also having the same issue. I have a 990FXA-UD3, 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1866 (PC15000) and an FX-8350 (stock @4.0GHz - for now).

So, a couple of questions

1. I have tried setting the multiplier to 1866 and 1600 - FAIL. Default settings at 1333 have no issues. So, from the quoted post, my setup would eliminate the FX factor as I have one. Is there something else I should be adjusting? I'll be upping the voltages, but wasn't sure if there was anything else to look at.

2. I should mention that I also have Hyper 212 cooler, and it blocks memory slot 1, so I have my RAM modules in slots 2/4 to maintain dual channel. It's my understanding that if they are in alternating slots, not being in slots 1/3 shouldn't matter and dual channel should still be functioning correctly. Can someone verify this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Correct about the ram slots.

I would manually set primary timings and RAM voltage when you try 1600. If you get that working, then I would try 1866. But focus on 1600 first.

Welcome to the forums by the way. :) You might also get more replies if you start your own thread, as people often jump into newer threads. In older threads with more posts, there is more reading to do to get up to speed.

On these boards all should work fine up to 1866 without special settings. If it's not working then as IMOG suggested try to set timings and voltage manually. Also if it won't run like that then try some alternative timings so if your memory is 9-10-9 ( I don't know exactly what version you have ) then try something like 9-11-10 or 10-11-10. tRFC to 300 and when you make it run then drop it to 160.
You may also need some higher memory voltage like 1.55 or 1.6V or some higher CPU-NB voltage ( +0.05-0.15V ) but you shouldn't need it for 1600 unless board is setting it too low when you use auto settings.

IMOG/Woomack - thanks for the information. Will try your suggestions and post again after some testing, or maybe start my own thread.

Back