• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding Memory to a System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

No, because CPU, MOBO and RAM are new, everything else worked like a charm in my previous AMD setup. Since 90% of the freezing issues in games are reported from people that possess Corsair DDR4 RAM in Skylake rigs, I'll get new RAM from G. Skill and gamble (a lot of them did solve their problems switching to G. Skill). I expect to get it in the next 2 weeks (vacation season).

I ran memtest for about 8 hours (~4 passes), no errors.

I have no issues at all with my Corsair RAM... But it you say its bad for many people.. Maybe ill buy another brand. (To add another 8 or 16GB stick)

Edit: Split from this thread -ATM

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no issues at all with my Corsair RAM... But it you say its bad for many people.. Maybe ill buy another brand. (To add another 8 or 16GB stick)

Do not mix and match RAM.

Do not mix and match RAM.

If mixing is really bad, I can buy the same model but with higher capacity.. Would that be good? 4GB stick costs 140sheqels, 8GB stick costs 280sheqels, And 16GB stick costs 375sheqels. All the same model and same timings.

If mixing is really bad, I can buy the same model but with higher capacity.. Would that be good? 4GB stick costs 140sheqels, 8GB stick costs 280sheqels, And 16GB stick costs 375sheqels. All the same model and same timings.

You want them to match exactly.

Fork. So should i buy a 2x4GB kit? Itll cost a little more, But if itll work perfectly fine then fine.

Wait, Itll cost more to buy 2x4GB kit than buying 2 4GB sticks... So what should i buy?

Fork. So should i buy a 2x4GB kit? Itll cost a little more, But if itll work perfectly fine then fine.

Wait, Itll cost more to buy 2x4GB kit than buying 2 4GB sticks... So what should i buy?

Either buy a new kit and replace your old one or buy the exact same model/capacity and hope they haven't changed the sub-timings.

I'm going to split this discussion off to another thread.

Either buy a new kit and replace your old one or buy the exact same model/capacity and hope they haven't changed the sub-timings.

I'm going to split this discussion off to another thread.

Ok thanks!
I didnt really wanted to make a whole thread cause it was a small question.. But thanks :)
Its the same model as mine and i dont think they changed timings. Btw did you know they have a addon to these RAM sticks that stick on the sides and there is a fan ontop for cooling o_O

Last edited:
The extra fan is a waste of money these days, but back in the day when RAM took more power it was useful.

The reason you want to buy the exact same is because it gives you the smallest chance of getting different ICs on the new sticks compared to what the old are. Different ICs will have different sub timings and a lot of the time will cause instability, or worse.

The extra fan is a waste of money these days, but back in the day when RAM took more power it was useful.

The reason you want to buy the exact same is because it gives you the smallest chance of getting different ICs on the new sticks compared to what the old are. Different ICs will have different sub timings and a lot of the time will cause instability, or worse.

Hmm, Thanks.
I know the fan addon is a waste cause you can just buy a small fan and put it ontop or ziptie it somehow. And also i know it was more relevant cause i have 2 DDR2 G.Skill RAM sticks that work @2.1V in my testing bench lol.

I hope they have the same timings and stuff, If they dont ill try to match them.

I know that with DDR 2, that's virtually impossible, LOL. What that meant for me: I had to raise the VDIMM before filling all the slots...

And with DDR 3, it may be virtually impossible shortly! Unless you want to pay inflated prices!

Of course, at conservative clock speeds, even a wild mix of RAM can pass with flying colors. Such at 333 Mhz (666) for DDR 2 and 666 Mhz (1333) for DDR 3...

With the way things are going, soon, matching may only be possible with DDR 4! :rofl:

Last edited:
I know that with DDR 2, that's virtually impossible, LOL. What that meant for me: I had to raise the VDIMM before filling all the slots...

And with DDR 3, it may be virtually impossible shortly! Unless you want to pay inflated prices!

Of course, at conservative clock speeds, even a wild mix of RAM can pass with flying colors. Such at 333 Mhz (666) for DDR 2 and 666 Mhz (1333) for DDR 3...

With the way things are going, soon, matching may only be possible with DDR 4! :rofl:

Im talking about my Main PC that is DDR4, So yeah i can try to match the timings.

Hmm, Thanks.
I know the fan addon is a waste cause you can just buy a small fan and put it ontop or ziptie it somehow. And also i know it was more relevant cause i have 2 DDR2 G.Skill RAM sticks that work @2.1V in my testing bench lol.

I hope they have the same timings and stuff, If they dont ill try to match them.

No, it's a waste because you don't need the cooling for DDR3 or DDR4, not because you can just strap a fan on.

Back