• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on FX8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hi all, I am looking to build a PC (my first time building). I have detailed my proposed specs below. My questions in this particular forum is:

1) Would I be ok with the stock AMD FX 8120 CPU heatsink and fan. I do not plan to overclock (no for now anyway). Therefore, if I am not overclocking would the stock fan and heatsink be sufficient for cooler. Please not that, I do plan to run computational analysis that will max out CPU cores to 90-100% for long periods of time, perhaps even days on end...

2) Is the FX8120 worth purchasing over an Intel if I do not overclock it?

Thanks

Build Information

Approximate Purchase Date: Assembly should be completed by Mid August

Budget Range: £500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Numerical and computational analysis, engineering software (CAD, FEA, etc), Work, Gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No, using my current monitors, not important to me at the moment.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7 64 bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebuyer/dabs (UK based)

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Not initially, but maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Additional Comments: It is really important that the system can manage numerical computations, efficiently. Currently for example I have an 8 GB RAM PC and there is not enough memory to run some analysis. For my analysis, I can select the number of CPU cores and amount of RAM to allocate, the more CPU cores/speed and the more RAM, the faster the analysis gets done.

Current component selection

PSU - Corsair Memory 600W Builder Series CX V2 ATX PSU
Case - Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard GA-970A-DS3
CPU - AMD Bulldozer FX8120 3.1 Ghz 8 Core (Would I really a cooler if I am not overclocking?)
Memory - Kingston16Gb DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz (4 x 4GB RAM)
Optical - LG DVD R - Used from my current PC
GPU - Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
HDD - 160 GB 5400rpm - Used from my current PC
Ocz 60GB Vertex Plus R2 SSD (Main OS, games and analysis will be run from here)

If your application benefits from more cores as you say then my input is that the FX 8 core CPU series would be the money smart way to go. That's when AMD CPUs really shine relatively speaking, where the apps that are being used are thoroughly multi-threaded and can take advantage of many cores. And if you are going to be taxing the CPU to the max for many hours on end on a frequent basis I definitely would go with a good aftermarket cooler. You can buy Intel CPUs that will compete well or maybe even outperform the FX 8x in this kind of task but you will pay a lot more for them.

Just remember to buy the memory in 2 4 gig kits I love my 8120 never a problem with it I do alot of video editting and the pc runs great never over heats have it overclocked to 4.3 with no problems

Last edited:
Thanks for your really helpful input and experiences. So taz4xlife is a good Cooler to go for? Does it come with the thermal paste ready applied?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cool...with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am

Also, whats your experiences and advice on the Motherboard, are you pleased with the Gigabyte 970A-UD3? Did you have any issues with it and any installation/compatability issues with the AMD FX8120 CPU?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/motherboards/gigabyte-970a-ud3-978161/review

For the 8 core FX's you will want to go with the best air cooling available so that you can have a good overclocking experience later on if you decide to do that. Get the Noctua D14 if available to you. More money, about $85 US but considerably more capable than the Coolermaster one you referenced and very quiet as well.

Yes, buy your memory in a two stick pair rather than four sticks. Easier on the integrated memory controller. Get 1866 mhz capable ram and get the low voltage kind that does that speed on 1.5v and avoid those with tall heatsinks so the ram doesn't interfere with the cooler.

For the 8 core FX's you will want to go with the best air cooling available so that you can have a good overclocking experience later on if you decide to do that. Get the Noctua D14 if available to you. More money, about $85 US but considerably more capable than the Coolermaster one you referenced and very quiet as well.

Yes, buy your memory in a two stick pair rather than four sticks. Easier on the integrated memory controller. Get 1866 mhz capable ram and get the low voltage kind that does that speed on 1.5v and avoid those with tall heatsinks so the ram doesn't interfere with the cooler.

Isnt the pantex (isnt that a feminine hygiene product) or something the new king of the hill air cooler?

EDIT: Phanteks.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4453/phanteks_ph_tc14pe_cpu_cooler_review/index8.html

that review does not have a large database...

easier to find now that I know how to spell it :)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_phtc14cs/4.htm theres one that compares it to the d14. its only on a 2600K so not a high heat load I will keep looking.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2671&page=4 puts it within .1 of DH14 on 125W load. Still trying to find it on a 150W load or more liek a 5 GHz 8150 would do mwhahahaha.

EDIT EDIT: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2672&page=5 150W tests, D14 is .3 better

Wow. Every review tests a differnet CPU at a different speed/voltage no one uses heatloads except frosty tech. (only way to fiarly judge. However heatload should be backed up with RW use IMHO.. .Cuz while one might perform better at load another performs betteat idle. Depending on your computer usage (mostwould be idle) would determine the right sink IMHO.

I always build for load though :) You never know when its 0C out you might want to bench something at 175W+ TDP :)

Last edited:
as i remember(what a laugh), in a default install, stock cooler, turbo core off, 3.2ghz
core temps never got past 35c, .091 vcore idle 1.27 vcore peak under prime95 for days on end.
the problems would show up at 3.8ghz, witch i think is with turbo core on, after a few hours of prime 95. so if your program is as demanding as it sounds and you are as abusive as i am go for the high end air from the get go.

heres a pic of his motherboard, enough heatsinks to thrash for days on end with an 8 core?

also i see that his kingston ram is 1.65v, better to go with 1.5v ram?

Attachments

• 5563_big.jpg
    5563_big.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
yes it does but I put on artic silver with my coolermaster 212 evo my temps are great

taz, I'm glad you're CM Hyper 212+ evo is cutting it for you. Maybe you have an unusually capable chip. But my observation in following many FX 8 core threads on this forum is that the Noctua D14 is about the only air cooler that will cool well enough to give a reasonable overclock. In fact, most people overclocking the 8 core FX chips go with one of the high end self-contained water kits like the Corsair H100.

CM hyper 212 is a GREAT buy. for an upgrade for a stock system. Even allows some OCing (then again so does the stocker) It CAN NOT handle high wattage CPUs.

No way. Its looks like my old xigmatek NB cooler. (think that used a 92mm fan) My 4 core Bulldozer is not running "cool" on a 212+ plus. (I will produce screen shots sometime later this week, FINALLY getting around to benching it just finishing up an SSD review now)

Anyway.

that board is ALSO not capable of pushing a bulldozer through OCs whats that a Gigabyte DS3? (dont smoke 3?) get your affairs in order and pray :grouphug: The great space ship is coming!!!

No sinks on the VRMs? Yes they do create very high temp VRMs now. Had to for X79 to work. But DANG do really want 140C cooking on your board? Thats close to liquid temps for tin/lead solder. Not flow... liquid.

Im not saying 140C capable VRMs are a bad thing. Im just saying that 40 years ago little girls were baking brownies with a 60W light bulb. :attn:

Still aint capable of doing it with out additional cooling. I bet I kill that board in a few hours on air with a thuban. Let a lone a "125W" stock BD 8 core chip.

No no no.

No sinks on the FETs, dont place any bets.

Last edited:
see the questionmarks?

LOL no I didnt didnt see the word "his" either. :confused:

Thought that was your recommendo. Ok. I saw 3 in his list and thought UD3 once I looked at your image I saw DS3. (thought that was a handheld nintendo?)

Good catch dude. +1 love for you :)

Trents, that board only has 4+2 power phase, i think 8+2 is kind of the lower limit for bd when mushing this thing about. perhaps the asrock fatality pro would be a better choice for long term numbers crunching without sucking the budget dry.

Remember for computational analysis that you will only get the full benefit of the Bulldozer if you're performing integer calculations. FLOP will perform as if it was a quad core.

Trents, that board only has 4+2 power phase, i think 8+2 is kind of the lower limit for bd when mushing this thing about. perhaps the asrock fatality pro would be a better choice for long term numbers crunching without sucking the budget dry.

I'm not saying it's the best for overclocking an 8 core FX but if you're on a budget it will give you at least a moderate OC I think. And there are some knowledgeable folks who point out that the power phase numbers can be misleading and don't tell the whole story.

I also agree with trents, but if one can get it one should, so with that in mind.

He's talking in sterling so i'm assuming he's from the UK, in which case he should get the M5A97-PRO currently on offer at a very reasonable £77 and has 6+2 power Phase.

This vs the M5A97 with 4+2 Power Phase @ £82.

And even at full price the M5A97-PRO is only £2 more expensive than the more basic one.

What I was reading with regard to power phase is that there is, for instance, "true" 8+2 power phase and there is "psuedo" 8+2 power phase and that many or most boards being advertised as 8+2 are of the latter variety anyway. I didn't understand all the technicalities of the explanation and think it's something I should read up on more to get a better understanding of. Maybe some of the forum members with more formal technical training than I have (which is none) could start a thread for us to explore that issue as a community.

The Auss board I referenced above is however, rated for 140W TDP CPUs and it does have reasonably good heat sinks on the power regulation components. But, yeah, if he can get the Pro version for less, go for it.

Back