• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VoX1090T

Registered
I currently have

M4N98TD EvO (Nvidia 980a Chipset)
Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6Ghz - Zalman CNPS 9900 LED Cooler
4GB Gskill Flare @ 1800Mhz 7-9-7-21
Zotac Geforce GTX 470
Corsair 128GD SSD
600 Watt Thermaltake PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I want more power. Faster RAM Speeds, more overclockabilty. More stability and 2000Mhz RAM speed ( my ram is rated 2000Mhz)

Is anything really better than what I have?

I was eyeballing the Asus CrossHair IV Formula but it's an AMD chipset, I have an Nvida card, I now know it'll work just fine, I have no intention of using SLI, ever.

Anyone that is willing to give me the run down and what is better than this board or should I just stay with it?

Thanks for taking the time. :rock:

Last edited:
Stay with what you have you won't see real world performance change with different RAM or board.:)

I agree with Wingman. You wont see that much performance boost by changing boards. Expressly if you aren't planning on run SLI or Crossfire later.

But if your dying to upgrade the CH IV is supposedly really good. It has some good reviews out there. I personally love my gigabyte board though. The dual bios feature is so awesome if you are planning on OC. Also was able to OC my 955 to 4Ghz on air.

I currently have

M4N98TD EvO (Nvidia 980a Chipset)
Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.6Ghz - Zalman CNPS 9900 LED Cooler
4GB Gskill Flare @ 1800Mhz 7-9-7-21
Zotac Geforce GTX 470
Corsair 128GD SSD
600 Watt Thermaltake PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I want more power. Faster RAM Speeds, more overclockabilty. More stability and 2000Mhz RAM speed ( my ram is rated 2000Mhz)

Is anything really better than what I have?
Yes, your CPU cooler could be improved a lot. Depending on your noise endurance level, either the TRUE or the NH-D14 would be excellent replacements - though neither is cheap. The TRUE with really good fans is the best there is in my opinion. The NH-D14 still delivers very good performance but will probably be quieter than the TRUE (depending on your fan choices). Both coolers would probably require a case cooling upgrade as well (better or more fans). It takes good case airflow for an excellent heatsink to work correctly. If you want more speed you'll need better cooling than the Zalman 9900 ... :)

Yes, your CPU cooler could be improved a lot. Depending on your noise endurance level, either the TRUE or the NH-D14 would be excellent replacements - though neither is cheap. The TRUE with really good fans is the best there is in my opinion. The NH-D14 still delivers very good performance but will probably be quieter than the TRUE (depending on your fan choices). Both coolers would probably require a case cooling upgrade as well (better or more fans). It takes good case airflow for an excellent heatsink to work correctly. If you want more speed you'll need better cooling than the Zalman 9900 ... :)

39840_1545600360587_1252354290_1508158_226072_n.jpg

gotta better case. Antec 1200. My RAM Fans are what gets in the way, or is it my CPU cooler? lol they're both big :eek:

I like the case, it's got more room, but the cable management kinda sucks. I'd have to drill my own holes to fix that problem.

Drilling your own holes is a good idea imo. It'll turn out the way you want it to, this is off topic kind of but I'm actually thinking about customizing my current case for better air flow, design it the way I want to design it. If I do I'll start a thread.

gotta better case. Antec 1200. My RAM Fans are what gets in the way, or is it my CPU cooler? lol they're both big :eek:

I like the case, it's got more room, but the cable management kinda sucks. I'd have to drill my own holes to fix that problem.
Since you didn't mention it in your first post I didn't know but it is something you need if you have a really good heatsink.

So, you seem to have everything you need, what's holding you back from getting a TRUE or NH-D14 ...???

Honestly I like my RAM fans too. The True or the ND are just too massive and I wouldn't be able to run both.

Currently my temps are around 35c and around 45C under load. I think thats ok to be honest. I could be wrong.

If your temps are that good after 10-15 minutes of Prime95/OCCT then I have no idea what could be holding back a higher overclock :shrug: and no way to even guess without a lot more information ...

Back