• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO vs custom loop performance these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I've been running a custom loop for my 2600K CPU, 980Ti GPU and the mainboard (full chipset/mosfet single piece block) for years now. 4x120 rad, nice EK CPU block and an EVGA hydrocopper on a DDC 3.2 pump.

If I wanted to build a new rig, how good are these AIO CPU coolers on 2x140mm fans for performance these days? For radiators, surface area will always be king, but I'm more curious as to the performance difference between a combined block/pump and separate dedicated blocks and pumps.

Not as good as 4x120 worth of rad...

The real answer to that question is it depends... depends on the rad, fans, block, etc on each. It can vary dramatically.

I was using a Swiftech Apogee Drive II for a few years. It is a great block/pump combo. Kept my 5.1Ghz FX-8350 cooled. CPU temp never went above 54c on my geothermal system. I only swapped it out because I wanted to try a full MB block on my new system. Plus I put a stupid low bid on a dual pump/res combo and won it.

as far as I have found, true all in ones, sealed, are about as good as a good air cooler up front, out at a few hours, some much less, they get heat saturated and start to fall behind.

I found little difference in temps going from a old dangerden RDX (that I had built a bracket for to fit z87) to a Nice new heatkiller .

I would try your old gear before spending $ on new gear .

Not as good as 4x120 worth of rad...

The real answer to that question is it depends... depends on the rad, fans, block, etc on each. It can vary dramatically.

This.

If you're looking to stick with 120.1 or 120.2 worth of rad and just setting and forgetting with no probabilities of expansion, then I would just venture into AIOs. Of course cost and a few other things also play a role in ones decision.

As far as temps go, I have seen a 5c-20c difference from AIOs to custom cooling. Lots of variables are at play here as Earth already pointed out.

Comparing the AIO 280 radiator to the custom 480 radiator not only is the overall size important but the radiator thickness as well and that's where the AIOs fall short. As already mentioned the AIOs are comparable to the high end air coolers as far as saturation performance. One of the great things of investing in a custom loop in the first place is transferring it to a new setup, that's what I would do.

If I can transfer my CPU block to a new board then it's a no brainer. I am tempted to acquire a 3x120 rad just for the GPU(s) in the future and let the CPU have the 4x120 all to itself so I can turn down the fans to minimum when OC'ed.

Then I'm only out my full mainboard block on my current rig.

My 980Ti can't even break 40C in the current loop when gaming or crunching. The CPU I have OC'ed and it pushes 60C at load. Not terribly concerned with the GPUs.

Nothing is final. Just weighing options.

If I can transfer my CPU block to a new board then it's a no brainer. I am tempted to acquire a 3x120 rad just for the GPU(s) in the future and let the CPU have the 4x120 all to itself so I can turn down the fans to minimum when OC'ed.

Then I'm only out my full mainboard block on my current rig.

I would just add rads instead of splitting the loop into 2.

Back