• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO vs Custom Loop temperature difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So it finally turned out that it’s not really stable on 5GHz with 1.45v so I backed it up to 4.9GHz on 1.428v and now testing this. I don’t think that 100mhz even matters anywhere only in cinebench maybe?
As I said I don’t want to go higher in clocks. I just want to be sure this CPU will not die in 2 years because of heat or something (after that I’ll definitely upgrade to newer gen)
Also I really like this Matterhorn cooler, but sometimes (a lot of times actually) I get an ich that I have to tinker in my PC, and I tought building a custom loop could be fun.

Wow, I admire your walk with blinders on, my grand father used blinders on his mules to plow the fields that way they could only see the rut they were walking in. But when it was time for them to go to the barn and get something to eat, he just snatched the blinders off and they made a beeline to the barn, and you'd best not be in their way either.

Just to educate you a little, if you are receptive, an AIO water cooler is really just a step up air cooler to a certain extent as there are air and water coolers that are on the same cooling level, that cooling performance gap only increases with the AIO when you go to larger radiator cooling field, then cooling performance can exceed the plain heat pipe air coolers.

A custom loop gives you the advantage of increasing the size of the radiator cooling field allowing more cooling performance but you are still ambient cooling and no matter how large your radiator cooling field is, you'll never achieve lower than a Zero DeltaT, unless you somehow can position your radiators to take advantage of a room air conditioner and those performance gains will be minimal at best.

Manually overclocking will give you better control over how high you can overclock and voltage used etc. but it's up to you to learn how to do it.

When you say:

As I said I don’t want to go higher in clocks. I just want to be sure this CPU will not die in 2 years because of heat or something (after that I’ll definitely upgrade to newer gen)

You are more concerned about long term heat, and the CPU is more than capable of further abuse, and designed to operate in high ambient temperatures that some of us would be miserable in.

I thought building a custom loop could be fun.

It can be fun, or it can be a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing, what it will be is much more expensive than the best AIO.

Last edited:
So it finally turned out that it’s not really stable on 5GHz with 1.45v so I backed it up to 4.9GHz on 1.428v and now testing this. I don’t think that 100mhz even matters anywhere only in cinebench maybe?
Also I really like this Matterhorn cooler, but sometimes (a lot of times actually) I get an ich that I have to tinker in my PC, and I tought building a custom loop could be fun.
I'd worry more about running that voltage than I would temps. 1.4v+ isnt really 24/7 voltage.

I'd worry more about running that voltage than I would temps. 1.4v+ isnt really 24/7 voltage.

+1

My comfort cap for voltage OCing is 1.35v while other's won't go past 1.4v. Anything above that is for benchmarking and shouldn't be used for 24/7 use.

For testing I use manual voltage, so that way yes, but when I find a certain voltage to be stable I set that voltage in offset, so when isn't needed, it stays on a much lower voltage.

Speed step?
Well I mean for example even if it roadblocks, but stays at same 1.45score, how does that happen while idle? Does it still get supplied by such high voltage and degrade?

Temps go down when CPU is idle even with full voltage, so it can't be totally bad..?

hehehe welcome to my world! theres no better reason to build a sweet, absolutely overboard loop than that my friend. hit us up when you get started and well help you get er dun :)

Voltage kills at any temp, gents.

I don't care if it downclocks. On load its running 1.45V '24/7' (not as in constantly, but everytime it gets loaded, it runs that voltage).

So what happens when it does not get loaded? As in..idle? Does it also kill while being in idle?

I am looking for an answers!!!!!!quickly pleaseeee!!

I will highlight for you.

VOLTAGE KILLS AT ANY TEMP OR LOAD.

Sometimes quicker with speedstep enabled, because you get surge when it clocks up.

take an extension cord, plug it into the wall and plug nothing into it.
now, go hook up your water hose, hook it to your spigot and put on your spray nozzle and let no water out and turn on the spigot.
these are now the same, both the hose and the extension cord have pressure in them, nothing is flowing that you are aware of and even now the cord and the hose are both wearing.

Back