• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO vs Custom Loop temperature difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Extreme voltage will either instantly kill depending on the quality of the silicon, or over time will degrade the CPUs electrical pathways leading to premature CPU failure.

The cooler you can run it however the longer it is going to last.

Most of those that plan and intend to run high voltage also plan on sacrificing the CPU for high overclock numbers, that's not an area entered into blindly or uninformed, but those run voltages way past 1.45v.

That's the entire reason we overclockers run the coolest cooling solution we can afford to run, as the cooler you keep the CPU the lower voltage is required for the same degree of overclock.

Actually in the past Silicon Lottery was claiming their delidded pre-binned offerings were using around 1.40+ voltage to reach the claimed clock rate advertised for the CPU they were selling.

So maybe that voltage isn't that big a deal after all.

Personally I would never recommend 1.45v but it's not going to kill the CPU instantly unless the CPU was on it's last legs anyway, and all this dramatic hooplah is unwarranted.

Last edited:
It can be fun, or it can be a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing, what it will be is much more expensive than the best AIO.

Having recently completed my first water cooling loop myself not using a AIO I can honestly say making the bends was hard and time consuming. I'm not totally happy with the ones I have but they are functional and are not leaking. The performance over my Cooler Master V8 GTS and the water cooling setup hasn't allowed for any additional overclocking headroom in a meaningful amount. $500 for ~100Mhz.

ALCSI, if you want to do the water cooling loop for the experience go for it. The cost in time and materials is fairly extensive though.

This is excellent wealth of information! Taco learned about hosing, extension cords and buckets all at the same time while researching high voltage according to this project work! Thank you!

This is excellent wealth of information! Taco learned about hosing, extension cords and buckets all at the same time while researching high voltage according to this project work! Thank you!

Sometimes you make me want to lick live wires. :p

we can sure tell that you kiddies skipped science class, but never missed home ec.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I agree that's the only way he is truly going to learn anything, you can research, plan, and ponder all you want, but until it becomes hands on that's when you really learn.

^^^^^^^^one of the truest statements made.^^^^^^^^^^
if you just want to go watercooled, great, go for it, it's just with your gear you really don't "need" to, but as long as you know, we're all good with it.

Sometimes you make me wanna kick myself in the grind.

Oh geesh will taco keep learning at a geometric rate and learn to overclock his computer running his ai or will it attempt to overclock and crash the system and taco stops writing the post in mid sentence?

you have to admit he is miles from where he started out trying to oc his rig! his sense of humor is second to none haha.

Back