• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All aftermarket CPU coolers require???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeffmeister

Registered
Do all aftermarket CPU coolers lets say for instance the Zalman 92MM Ball bearing cooler which is mostly universal. Need the motherboard to be removed and bracket placed? That's kind of a pain just to put on a cooler.

Do all aftermarket CPU coolers lets say for instance the Zalman 92MM Ball bearing cooler which is mostly universal. Need the motherboard to be removed and bracket placed? That's kind of a pain just to put on a cooler.

It all depends on the product, but you will find modern high quality ones do require it. Do you have an access panel for the backside of the CPU socket on your case?

It all depends on the product, but you will find modern high quality ones do require it. Do you have an access panel for the backside of the CPU socket on your case?

No unfortunately I got an Alienware for Christmas about 4 years ago. It was just an Athalon X2 5800+ 3.0ghz, 2GB DDR2, 4870HD and I have upgraded it little by little since then.

So it would be a real pain because Alienware wires it so there is no clutter in the case.

Yeah, getting the motherboard out will also be a pain in the rear end if you have to. Are you just using a stock AMD fan?

Yeah, getting the motherboard out will also be a pain in the rear end if you have to. Are you just using a stock AMD fan?

Yeah I am using the stock AMD fan that came with my 965 BE. It is extremely loud but cools pretty well. I am OC'd to 3.8ghz at 1.35v and running good highest is 51C at full load.

a know u dont need to remove anything to fit a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186047 its just push fittings

The biggest problem with the Freezer 13 Pro is that on AMD it mounts the heatsink orientation to where it blows through upwards or downwards. It won't install where it will blow from front to back like on Intel setups. Too bad though, because for Intel at least, it makes installation dead easy.

Jeffmeister, most any high end cooler will require you to pull the mobo out (or have a cutout in the case panel behind the processor area) for the initial mounting at least. I really do like Thermalright's AMD mounting system they use on their heatsinks though. Once you do the initial mount, you don't have to remove the motherboard again if you need to remove the heatsink. Prolimatech has a very nice AMD mounting system too, for the Megahalems and Genesis heatsinks.

Back