• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I being too picky for new RAM for my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

de_yogurt

Long story short, I'm looking to upgrade my system memory. Currently I have 8 but would like 16GB. Seems like the QVL on the motherboard manufacturer doesn't always match what the memory vendor says is compatible or even newegg's memory configuration. Am I being too picky? My biggest fear is that I get stuff that won't work. Also, I can get a good deal on some low voltage memory, but on the website for the motherboard (Asus Z87-A) it doesn't specify that 1.35v will or will not work. In the QVL there are some low voltage kits that will, just the specific one that I'm thinking about getting is not on the QVL. Am I really over thinking this or is my reason justified? Thanks for the help!

Yogurt

I have never picked memory off the qvl for any bills I've ever done and never had a problem with compatibility. My guess is you will be fine as long as you stick with name brand memory and speeds that are listed on the qvl.

If ddr3L is listed for your board I'm thinking whatever you buy will work, but I'm not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are. Obviously lower voltage will use less energy but that usually isn't a concern for overclockers. The plus side is that it will work with Skylake if you get the right board, but not sure what the drawbacks are to using it on that platform.

As suggested, post up the links to the memory you are considering....

Last edited:
The QVL list shows what was TESTED. That does not mean if something is not on the list it won't work. It could mean it wasn't tested.

That said, I have never went off a QVL list either and had 100% success.

1.35v will work just fine.

please link us to the mem kit you are looking at.

This +1

The QVL list shows what was TESTED. That does not mean if something is not on the list it won't work. It could mean it wasn't tested.

Also, this +1.

The reason low voltage isn't specified is because DDR3L wasn't a true spec at the time of Z87 boards releasing.

I would recommend sticking to QVL or atleast check that any related or similar kits have been tested if you go for "exotic" kits. Mainly OC or non standard latency kits.
There is a good chance that untested combinations work, but if they don't, it can be very frustrating to deal with.

Just hit the buy button on the Mushkin Enhanced Stealth, I wouldn't be surprised if both kits had the same Ic and they just had to relax the timings so the second kit would run at 1.35 V.

Well, the cheapest pair would be from tigerdirect. but it seems as though they don't great customer service right now and am not sure about having ddr3 1333 in my system

One cheat I used when selecting my memory was to look at newer motherboards memory compatibility list. Asus lists the actual chip (Samsung, hynix, etc) for each tested kit. The kit you are considering may be listed on a newer board and you can find it what chip it is using. That chip may be listed on your qvl under a different name brand. Not a 100% guarantee but can give you warm fuzzies of that will reassure you.

For example the memory I purchased is on the qvl for asus z170 boards. I found out it uses a Samsung chip that is on my qvl but at slower jdec spec speeds.

Well, the cheapest pair would be from tigerdirect. but it seems as though they don't great customer service right now and am not sure about having ddr3 1333 in my system

I think he meant the cheaper of the two you selected... both are DDR4 1600 MHz. Also, you only have to deal with customer service if something goes wrong. I also believe, regardless of reputation good or bad, that most customer service experiences are fine. Its not like the majority, or even close to it, are bad. ;)

I also believe, regardless of reputation good or bad, that most customer service experiences are fine. Its not like the majority, or even close to it, are bad. ;)

Definitely agree with this. The only people who post out review a companies customer service are people who are dissatisfied. This is true about pretty much everything. If they help 100 people a day and 1 isn't satisfied then at the end of the month you have 2970 satisfied customers and 30 who decided to let the world know they are upset. Very rarely do people go out of there way to let everyone know they got good or satisfactory service. It skews the perception greatly.

EarthDog is correct, I meant out of the two you provided links for.

If I was saying to go buy the absolute cheapest kit you can find I would say "go buy the cheapest kit you can find".

+1

I don't know why people assume that if it's not on the QVL for RAM that it won't ever work. I hardly ever buy RAM that's on the QVL lists of the boards I use it on, and never really have a problem with modern boards (made within last 5-6 years let's say).

My vote also goes towards the Stealth kit.

Back