• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I just behind the times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What if FahCore_13 faIls to download? IE I delted the GPU2. I deleted _11 over and over again and all it wants to do is download FahCore_11

What if FahCore_13 faIls to download? IE I delted the GPU2. I deleted _11 over and over again and all it wants to do is download FahCore_11

From what I understand, you have to look in your logs for version 1.13 of FahCore_11. I believe the file name remains the same? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The core name (FAHCore_11.exe) does not change. If you look in FAH log it will say v1.09 or v1.13 for FAHCore_11.exe.

[00:03:34] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
[00:03:34] Version 1.13 (Mon Sep 29 12:58:49 PDT 2008)

From what I understand, you have to look in your logs for version 1.13 of FahCore_11. I believe the file name remains the same? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

That is correct. :)

Ok... back to my two 8800GT cards giving me fits. ;)

I think I may have found some evidence of the GPU2 core being CPU bound. When I setup these new clients last night I decided the get them running off the same CPU core. I was previously setting NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY=8 when I had these cards in my 780i/Q6600 setup. That setup both clients to run on core 3 on the quad, but when that setup busted and I moved the cards to my old trusty nF4 SLI/Opt165 (yes I still have AMDs ;)) I was still setting the affinity mask to 8, this made each FahCore_11 process run across both cores 0 & 1 of the Opty. No big deal, it ran fine like that.

So last night I switched the mask to NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY=2, which got both FahCore_11 processes running on core 1, and I simultaneously updated to core v1.13. That's when the problems started. Then I read where someone had said that their cpu usage had gone up with the new v1.13 core. Then it dawned on me that my old Opteron @ 2.9GHz might not be able to keep up with both FahCore_11 processes running on the same CPU core. Plus the fact that lowering my shader OCs on those cards wasn't getting me any better stability.

So far, so good... I setup each FahCore_11 process to run on its own CPU core, restored my previously stable shader OCs, and I haven't seen an EUE or UM yet. :) Just a word to the wise for anyone on a similar AMD cpu.

That is correct. :)

Ok... back to my two 8800GT cards giving me fits. ;)

I think I may have found some evidence of the GPU2 core being CPU bound. When I setup these new clients last night I decided the get them running off the same CPU core. I was previously setting NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY=8 when I had these cards in my 780i/Q6600 setup. That setup both clients to run on core 3 on the quad, but when that setup busted and I moved the cards to my old trusty nF4 SLI/Opt165 (yes I still have AMDs ;)) I was still setting the affinity mask to 8, this made each FahCore_11 process run across both cores 0 & 1 of the Opty. No big deal, it ran fine like that.

So last night I switched the mask to NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY=2, which got both FahCore_11 processes running on core 1, and I simultaneously updated to core v1.13. That's when the problems started. Then I read where someone had said that their cpu usage had gone up with the new v1.13 core. Then it dawned on me that my old Opteron @ 2.9GHz might not be able to keep up with both FahCore_11 processes running on the same CPU core. Plus the fact that lowering my shader OCs on those cards wasn't getting me any better stability.

So far, so good... I setup each FahCore_11 process to run on its own CPU core, restored my previously stable shader OCs, and I haven't seen an EUE or UM yet. :) Just a word to the wise for anyone on a similar AMD cpu.

Even my 9600gt is using sometimes 30%+ (with v1.13) of one AMD 3.0GHz core so a faster vid card x2 + slower processor could be CPU bound.

I have had 3 EUE's in 8 hours, and haven't had a single one before this. Video card temperature 55C full load, CPU 42C so that's not it. Any success guys backing down the clocks?

I have had 3 EUE's in 8 hours, and haven't had a single one before this. Video card temperature 55C full load, CPU 42C so that's not it. Any success guys backing down the clocks?

Yep, dropping my shaders between 75-100 Mhz seems to have given me full stability.

I'd be interested to know what Projects #s are giving you trouble. Specifically if they are 50xx Projects or 55xx Projects... I'm betting that it's the 55xx Projects.

If you would please, check your logs and see if you can verify my suspicion.

[05:08:47] Folding@home Core Shutdown: EARLY_UNIT_END
[05:08:51] CoreStatus = 72 (114)
[05:08:51] Sending work to server
[05:08:51] Project: 5016 (Run 2, Clone 47, Gen 109)

[10:29:02] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
[10:29:06] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
[10:29:06] Sending work to server
[10:29:06] Project: 5506 (Run 3, Clone 17, Gen 170)

[11:27:30] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
[11:27:33] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
[11:27:33] Sending work to server
[11:27:33] Project: 5506 (Run 2, Clone 991, Gen 50)

Luckily no EUEs or anything for me. I have my shaders at 1551, I wonder how much higher I could push them..

My production is now up to 6k ppd on this card. Thats about 1,500 more than it was at stock clocks on the previous core.

I'm still seeing EUEs and UMs... actually across all my cards, but on the 2x XFX cards I'm still seeing less of them than when I was running both FahCore_11 processes on the same cpu core.

I've now seen an EUE or UM on both my 8800GT 512MB and my 8800GTS 512MB. The GTS has a stock shader clock of 1674MHz... so my OC to 1782MHz is very mild IMO. I know lots of you guys run these things up to 2000MHz on the shaders.

I guess I will have to return all my cards to stock to see if the problems go away... I know Psykoikonov and I can't be the only ones seeing these issues. If the problems do go away then I'll know it's OC related. If not- guess I'll have to drop back to the v1.09 core.

I'm sure Stanford is aware... as they're undoubtedly receiving a lot of incomplete work. :(

I've seen more than a few EUEs, where before there were none.

We may well be making less ppd with the new core than the old one with all the EUEs. But hey, the numbers on FAHmon sure look good. :) Did you save a v1.09? I may have to recover one from the recycle bin.

I've seen more than a few EUEs, where before there were none.

We may well be making less ppd with the new core than the old one with all the EUEs. But hey, the numbers on FAHmon sure look good. :) Did you save a v1.09? I may have to recover one from the recycle bin.
same here..... :eh?:

I think I'm still making more, even with downclocking for less heat and more stability.

I'm not getting any EUEs, but I did just get something where one of my clients kept shutting down when starting a WU. I think it was due to a bad WU though, rather than the new client, as when I restarted fresh and gave it a new machine ID number, it finally downloaded a different WU (after 10 tries without changing the ID number), and is running fine now.

It was Project: 5506 (Run 8, Clone 329, Gen 113).

I did report it at the Stanford Forums.

I'm running some fairly aggressive shaders, so I'm backing off on them to see if I gain stability. We have a 10% declock to play with before the new core and old core match in production.

I did find one 8800GTS running shaders at 1920 that was stable so far. The others are going to have to be reduced.

I think I averaged about a 4% downclock on the shaders, but I only lost about 25-30% of my PPD increase.

Back