• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am i the only one who is going to stay on windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

I want to know how many of you are going to upgrade to windows 8 i personally am going to stay on win 7 until M$ they decide that not all users have touch screens and the home button is priceless lol but what are you all's thoughts?

ps: how do i add a poll? or does some one have to do it for me?

I'll probably stay with Win 7 until the next release after Metro. This is in line with my belief that only every second MS OS is worth upgrading to. 98 good, ME sucked, XP good, Vista sucked, Win 7 good, Win 8? TBD.

I'll probably get a copy and play around with it but I don't plan on upgrading to a touch screen monitor anytime soon.

I was under the impression you could change the look of 8 to make it very similar to 7. I can't remember where I saw that, but if it's true I will upgrade. I'm happy with 7 though.

I'm sticking with 7. No compelling reasons to change/spend the money. I hate the Metro UI and M$ seems married to the idea for now. They've made changes to the last release that makes it harder for third-party software to change it. Maybe if sales for 8 suck , and Metro is a major factor , they'll fix it for Windows 9. Until then I'm quite happy with Win 7 64bit.

Heck, I haven't found a reason to upgrade to 7 yet from Vista. I ditched XP for the better x64 support and DX10+ and don't know of anything 7 can offer me Vista can't. That said the likelihood of me getting win 8 is slim.

Heck, I haven't found a reason to upgrade to 7 yet from Vista. I ditched XP for the better x64 support and DX10+ and don't know of anything 7 can offer me Vista can't. That said the likelihood of me getting win 8 is slim.

ewwww vista. :p windows 7 was an insta upgrade for me/ I found Vista, slow clunky, the UI was shoddy. Erg makes my skin crawl thinking about it

until M$ they decide that not all users have touch screens and the home button is priceless lol but what are you all's thoughts?

We will find a way to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7. Therefore, there's no reason to choose Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.

But paying to switch to Windows 8 from Windows 7 is another topic. There may be no reason for many desktop users to do that.

I would not worry about making Win8 look like Win7. We made Win7 look like WinXP :), look:

Attachments

• Toolbar.jpg
    Toolbar.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 390
Im staying with 7 as well as my entire company that I work for. We see no reason to upgrade our servers or clients at this point (OS only, Software will be upgraded especially SCCM 2012 :clap: ). I think its stupid and its most likely going to fail since every other windows OS has failed since day one. The IT world hates 8 and I doubt they ever will.

The thing that I don't understand is, if Windows 8 can be made to look like Windows 7 on desktops....

then isn't Windows 8 just Windows 7 with extras and options for touch screens, etc. So you get Windows 7 + extras, what's to hate, other than if it is a pain to actually set Windows 8 to look like Windows 7.

I've got seven Win7pro full licenses and I've only used half of 'em so far. The only way I'll end up with win8 is if it comes on a future touch screen laptop or tablet PC I purchase. The stubbornness of Microsoft forcing people to use the new interface is the main push off for me. I don't mind learning new things and interfaces, but I want my options to go with the earlier start button menu interface too without resorting to 3rd party hacks.

I'm going to stick with 7 for a while, just like I did with XP. (Just started using 7 this past December... :chair:)

The stubbornness of Microsoft forcing people to use the new interface is the main push off for me.

Why would there be no way to switch that off and make Windows 8 look almost exactly like Windows 7?

I mean, if you wanted to, you could have a Windows 2000 Start Menu today on Windows 7 and you could have a Windows 2000 start button on Windows 7. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see there not being a quick way to just turn off all that touch screen stuff you guys don't like. After all, it was never meant to be really used on our desktop PCs. It doesn't make any sense on our desktop PCs.

They don't want people changing the new Metro interface. They've already blocked the earlier functional registry hacks. It's not that we can't defeat their efforts, it's that we shouldn't have to try.

I am not getting into this until Windows 8 RTM is available from TechNet or other official Microsoft sources but before doing anything else, the first order of business for me would be to figure out how to do that.

It is virtually inconceivable that there would be no way which is why I don't understand why people are upset about this.

Win8 has to be Win7 + Extras, it has to be. Huge percentage of people do not have touch screens and will not have touchscreens long after Windows 8 gets released.

The initial setup is for this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710194

not our existing desktops.

One of the companies that I support is still on Windows XP with no production workstations on anything newer. They are actually just going through user acceptance testing now but they do plan on sticking with Windows 7 for some time.

Now for me personally, I don't expect to be upgrading anytime soon if they are going with the Metro UI only. I wasn't an early adopter of Windows 7 either so it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't really give it a solid for some time. I would say at least six months or so before I really gave it a shot.

Back