• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am i the only one who is going to stay on windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought Win7 was OK when I had the RC installed. That's why I jumped at the chance to get 8 COAs via the email.edu student qualification.

I still use win 98se on a old laptop, XP on two other rigs and a laptop, vista on my HTPC, and win 7 and ubuntu on my main rig.... that being said - I like and dislike each OS for different reasons. As for win 8; Right now I see no need to get it. If I get a device with a touch screen I will probably get win 8.

Last edited:
If I were to carry around a tablet pc, it certainly would not be windows 8, much less android OR apple.
I tell the computer what to do and how to do it, not the other way around period.

If I were to carry around a tablet pc, it certainly would not be windows 8, much less android OR apple.
I tell the computer what to do and how to do it, not the other way around period.

Are Linux tablets even in the market yet? This is all I found in a quick search:

Spark

Rename: Vivaldi

I prefer an OS with a larger ecosystem and broad support.

The Surface Pro looks to be a major advance for tablets, as you'll be able to run Windows programs in an x86 environment on a true tablet format with sufficient processing power, RAM and drive space. That, together with an OS designed for the touch interface will likely be a game changer, at least in the business and creative content spheres.

Are Linux tablets even in the market yet? This is all I found in a quick search:

Spark

Rename: Vivaldi

I prefer an OS with a larger ecosystem and broad support.

The Surface Pro looks to be a major advance for tablets, as you'll be able to run Windows programs in an x86 environment on a true tablet format with sufficient processing power, RAM and drive space. That, together with an OS designed for the touch interface will likely be a game changer, at least in the business and creative content spheres.

As far as I know there hasn't been any linux tablets released State side. Android tablets really killed any prospects of linux tablets. People know Android, not linux. Also Linux based tablets face the same problem x86 windows tablets will face (initially). Most x86 software (and for linux arm software too, since most are cross-compiled), is not designed for touch. For example on my HP Touchpad, before ICS was up and running I spent several months using webos. Inside webos you can pretty easily run an xserver and the chroot into a full blown linux distro. Often I ran ubuntu or debian, with xfce4 or kde netbook edition. Performance was great, smooth no lag. However the main problem were the applications. Chrome and firefox in linux aren't designed for a touch interface so you have to click on the arrows or drag the scroll bar to scroll a page. Same with writing a document in libreoffice. Xournal was about the only application that worked like it was suppose to. I wasn't surprised at the difficulties, all the applications are designed for a mouse and keyboard not a touchscreen. They just weren't optimized. Android and iOS are optimized for touchscreens.

With Windows 8 you're gonna face the same problems with x86 as I faced with linux. Things just aren't designed for touch. Now as more developers and companies take windows 8 tablets into account and release metro style applications this will change. However until applications UIs are rewritten for touch a lot of things aren't going to be pretty or easy to do. Android and iOS rely solely on touch interfaces so nearly all applications are designed around that. It will be interesting to see how Windows 8 does with tablets in x86 and in arm with Windows RT. If enough people go with windows 8 tablets the companies will surely port this x86 desktop applications to have a new UI.

edit:
It actually appears vivaldi linux tablet (running kde plasma active) has shipped!
http://makeplaylive.com/

Seems there is already some thought of incentive for Windows users ?

http://www.ntcompatible.com/news/st...pro_upgrade_offer_for_most_windows_users.html

Think they smell another Vista , sales-wise ? For $40 I might get a product key just in case. My daughter will be getting a computer within the next year. Maybe touchscreen availability/pricing will reflect slumping Win 8 sales. LOL :p

The interesting bit about this is that the upgrade will be offered as a download at the $39.99 price point. If you want a DVD, you'll pay $69.99, which is much closer to what upgrades have cost in the past. It's a limited time offer too, ending on Jan 31.

One market factor likely driving this decision is the proximity of this release to that of Windows 7. Folks will need an incentive like this to justify another OS purchase within such a short period, and encouraging early adoption is a smart strategy, as it may well create the necessary momentum to prevent a stall.

If it's an update key it will.

Fresh install only, then I'd get one.

I have two vista COA's laying around that I wouldn't mind burning for a new OS.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...r_Windows_upgrade?taxonomyId=125&pageNumber=1
In follow-up answers, Microsoft said that users running Windows 8 Release Preview -- the newer of the two sneak peeks, shipped on May 31 -- can upgrade using the Windows.com upgrade tool and pay the $40.
Will I need to have the original Windows installation discs or product key to upgrade to Windows 8? No.
Can I do a "clean" install? Yes, you can, but not using the Upgrade Assistant.

Instead, here's what you'll want to do to format the hard drive before installing Windows 8 Pro.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40. Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file. Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available. Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD. Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC. Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom." Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive. Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.
just have to ask ... did Microsoft restore the Start button in the final code? We won't know until Microsoft ships the OS. But we think the chance of that happening is smack dab between slim and none.

So this is looking like a bona fide deal with few strings attached. I might have to snag one myself.

Might be hard to resist a copy for $40, even if it's just to play with.

I've messed around with 2 versions of W8.
It did make my Bulldozer rate higher with the Passmark test over W7 and the patches.
I spent a lot of time tweaking it into a desktop interface.
It boots and shuts down quicker than W7 but NO I won't pay to upgrade.
And besides, I'm not a Metro Sexual kinda guy. :p

Back