• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am i the only one who is going to stay on windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't want to say anything too soon. I'm planning to boot win 8 tommorrow to check it out!

As of right now Windows 7 is my baby. I still remember the day making the upgrade from XP to 7 and I fell in love all over again. XP was the best OS ever. Until Windows 7 came out I think.

I don't want to make a bias opinion based on what everybody else has said about Windows 8, especially since most people haven't even tried it!

In short- we shall see

Windows 8 is actually very different to Win 7. The entire OS is modular now. So instead of loosing the (minimal) resources it takes to keep the desktop open, you can now close it. This principle applies to any part of the OS except the underlying foundations. Metro is a bit weird, but after using it for a week I almost started liking it. Beyond that there are some code optimizations and new modules / extensions in the kernel. I have used all 3 beta versions of Win 8, and while I do appreciate some of the gains, there are still to many little things issues that bug me. If I were on XP or Vista Id probably jump a month or two after launch, however, being on Win 7 I doubt ill be migrating any time soon.

I am on Windows XP right now and rarely boot into Windows 7 because I cannot sort files or folders around the screen anywhere on Windows 7 except for its Desktop. Auto arrange is mandatory on Windows 7 :screwy: :shrug:

I don't like the folder previews on windows 7 i cant tell what pictures i have in folders with no names just dates.:shrug::bang head

Why spend money on Win 8 and then try to make it look, act and feel like Win 7? If this was your first OS purchase then that's fine.

Being the only enthusiast here so far, I feel a need to qualify my earlier statement:

1) I use a convertible tablet extensively
2) Our company has a MS action pack subscription, so Win8 is no extra cost for internal development use

Were it not for those two factors, I'd likely wait until I purchased a new machine to move to Win8.

Being the only enthusiast here so far, I feel a need to qualify my earlier statement:

1) I use a convertible tablet extensively
2) Our company has a MS action pack subscription, so Win8 is no extra cost for internal development use

Were it not for those two factors, I'd likely wait until I purchased a new machine to move to Win8.

We have SA licensing as well as a partnership agreement and we will not be upgrading, OSs are coming out too quickly just like video games these days. Theres not enough time to fix bugs and develop on these systems.

In addition im pretty sure you will not be able to switch back to "win 7" mode in 8 as they removed that reg trick on the last release.

If this was just meant for tablets and touch screen computers I would say its a great idea, but if you load up Win server 2012 its retarded...I dont understand what or why the metro theme would be of use on a server is beyond me. I still barely use a mouse, using the keyboard is a million times faster especially in IT, why they think anyone will use a touch screen monitor in the IT field is insane :screwy:

My .02 windows 8 is going to be a PITA, The only thing im looking forward to is MSs new tablet and some of there server side software that is being released. I think the OS will be a huge fail.

Why spend money on Win 8 and then try to make it look, act and feel like Win 7? If this was your first OS purchase then that's fine.

Exactly, why spend the money on Win 8, then spend the effort to make it more like Win 7. Now if there's features in Win 8 that is not available in Win 7 then that's another story.

That was true without any service packs!
Vista had a nasty slow file I/O bug before service packs!

even after i find it intolerable. Even if its for cosmetic reasons/ the shallow reason that it took them so long to rectify it with the SP's. Windows 7 is the way vista should have always been.:shock:

I'm sticking with 7 at this point. Microsoft has never proven to me in any way that 8 will do anything better than 7.

Are people still bashing on Vista? I had it from day one and had very little issues with less than I ever had with XP.

If I can come up on 8 licenses for Win8 like I did for Win7 for $40 that are legal, Ill make the switch.

To me, Win7 is great and I see no need to upgrade to Win8 for $100+.

Back