• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I to remove stock paste on I7 with Corsair H90?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P A U L

Registered
I bought an intel i7 and Corsair H90.

I plan to use the paste that comes stock with the H90.... but

1) i am not certain if the i7 comes with stock paste
2) if it does come with stock paste, am i supposed to remove it before slapping on the H90's water block? (or use both paste??)

[1] Yes, the heatsink and fan (HSF) which comes with your processor should have a preapplied TIM on it.
[2] You should always remove any old compound thoroughly before reapplying a new layer of TIM of the same brand or a different kind.

Factory compound tends to be less than desirable and the manufacturers tend to do questionable applications. I would spend an extra few dollars and get a tube of quality TIM such as Arctic Silver 5 or the like. There are quite a few good compounds out there if you do your research, silver based ones tend to have the best performance.

Last edited:
Corsair Tim vs As5 are on the same level, in my experience. Factory Tim should be on the heat sink, not the processor so I don't imagine there will be anything to remove. I'd stick with the Tim that come preaplied on the corsair unit if I were you.

I bought an intel i7 and Corsair H90.

I plan to use the paste that comes stock with the H90.... but

1) i am not certain if the i7 comes with stock paste
2) if it does come with stock paste, am i supposed to remove it before slapping on the H90's water block? (or use both paste??)

The processors do not have TIM applied to them, it comes applied to the bottom of the heatsink. As long as you don't already have a heatsink on the CPU it should be relatively clean and be able to accept the H90's heatsink ontop of it with it's TIM that is already applied to the H90.

The processors do not have TIM applied to them, it comes applied to the bottom of the heatsink. As long as you don't already have a heatsink on the CPU it should be relatively clean and be able to accept the H90's heatsink ontop of it with it's TIM that is already applied to the H90.

great. thanks!

i'm using stock Corsair TIM because they say it's "Shin Etsu" brand which i found to be of excellent cooling quality...apparently far superior than the AS5 that i've been using for the past decade.

CPU is brand new and will be clean. i'm not sure why, but it's been a LONG time since i've built a new system and i've forgotten that the stock TIM is on the heatsink and not directly on the CPU.

Back