• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ Chips to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the Sabertooth is a socket AM3+ board it will work every bit as good as the Crosshair V you are returning, especially with an FX-6300. The Sabertooth is an awesome board.

It was a good board but its in my dads computer right now and the last thing i will ever do is touch that computer again. I changed out the thermal paste on his 8350, 7 chips a 1 mobo later i got it running again. Somehow i made a short when changing thermal paste and it caused the board to fry any chip thrown into it.

It was a good board but its in my dads computer right now and the last thing i will ever do is touch that computer again. I changed out the thermal paste on his 8350, 7 chips a 1 mobo later i got it running again. Somehow i made a short when changing thermal paste and it caused the board to fry any chip thrown into it.

Makes me want to ask more questions if lightning strikes twice.

Lol look. That was a really bad day okay. If his machine works, i dont touch. only if it has problems.

Don't forget to get more thermal paste if you need it now. Arctic Cooling MX4 is a great product and not expensive. If you can't get it locally then get it from Amazon so that you are ready to go when the Crosshair RMA return comes. Takes two or three weeks.

IMO I wouldn't buy a 9590 to save my life but that's just me

Recent tests I've done with CinebenchR15 on my 8320 heavily OC'd get it damn near to 9590 CB's

Keep in mind this is CineBench only so take that with a grain of salt.

IMO I wouldn't buy a 9590 to save my life but that's just me

Recent tests I've done with CinebenchR15 on my 8320 heavily OC'd get it damn near to 9590 CB's

Keep in mind this is CineBench only so take that with a grain of salt.

There is no difference between the two once you start overclocking. Both will end up with roughly the same clock at the same voltage, temp, and power consumption. All FX's are like that.
Only reason to spend money on a better model is if you're going to run it at stock settings.

There is no difference between the two once you start overclocking. Both will end up with roughly the same clock at the same voltage, temp, and power consumption. All FX's are like that.
Only reason to spend money on a better model is if you're going to run it at stock settings.

So the 6300 will hit 5.0 at 1.525v with the same temps?

So the 6300 will hit 5.0 at 1.525v with the same temps?
I was speaking more of the 8 core FX's, but yes, roughly.

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine it would use less power with the two less cores.
It will, that's common sense, but not that much less. Once you get into the 5 gig area you're still talking roughly a 200w chip.

Don't forget to get more thermal paste if you need it now. Arctic Cooling MX4 is a great product and not expensive. If you can't get it locally then get it from Amazon so that you are ready to go when the Crosshair RMA return comes. Takes two or three weeks.

Not to mention non-conductive. Which seems like an important feature here.

First off rescuetoaster, i love your profile pic.

Yeah i try to buy only non conductive thermal paste. I think i have a about two more applications worth, i underestimated the amount i have.

- - - Updated - - -

I was speaking more of the 8 core FX's, but yes, roughly.

- - - Updated - - -

It will, that's common sense, but not that much less. Once you get into the 5 gig area you're still talking roughly a 200w chip.

holy crap. stupid little things take way to much power....

very true. But so far im not liking the lack of overclockability compared to kaby lake and these fx chips

what I would give to get my first release first release sabertooth back from mandrake!!!!!!!
Mr. Trents, you even helped me back when I had it.
A 6300 on a sabertooth is about as good as it gets!!!!!

very true. But so far im not liking the lack of overclockability compared to kaby lake and these fx chips
Food for thought:

RYZEN 8 core @3.0ghz, IPC in terms of Piledriver(using AMD's IPC improvement %, 52% improvement for Ryzen):
3.0*(1+.52)=4.56ghz

So, while my math might be slightly backwards, a 3.0ghz Ryzen performs the level of a Piledriver 8xxx series running at 4.5ghz

Bump the Ryzen to 3.8ghz you say?
3.8*(1+.52)=5.776ghz

So an 8 core FX has to be clocked to 5.776 to achieve the same performance of a Ryzen CPU clocked to 3.8ghz.

DISCLAIMER: these are just approximations using the 52% IPC gain on Ryzen vs FX. Don't shoot me, and the formula may be wrong. This is back of he napkin kinda thoughts :D

True but extreme cooling you cant even get passed 5.0 on ryzen where the fx you can reach up to 8

Food for thought:

RYZEN 8 core @3.0ghz, IPC in terms of Piledriver(using AMD's IPC improvement %, 52% improvement for Ryzen):
3.0*(1+.52)=4.56ghz

So, while my math might be slightly backwards, a 3.0ghz Ryzen performs the level of a Piledriver 8xxx series running at 4.5ghz

Bump the Ryzen to 3.8ghz you say?
3.8*(1+.52)=5.776ghz

So an 8 core FX has to be clocked to 5.776 to achieve the same performance of a Ryzen CPU clocked to 3.8ghz.

DISCLAIMER: these are just approximations using the 52% IPC gain on Ryzen vs FX. Don't shoot me, and the formula may be wrong. This is back of he napkin kinda thoughts :D

That thin air in the Springs must be getting to you, Blue.

That thin air in the Springs must be getting to you, Blue.
It's not an exact thing, but relative performance should be around there (assuming the IPC numbers are correct and actual indicative of performance). Or I could be off my rocker with my 17 credit hours this semester. After all, I can't remember the last time I got 8 hours of sleep...

Back