• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're only into "mild gaming" why on earth do you want to run two 560Ti's in SLI? That'll suffice for much more than mild gaming.

Last edited:
Mostly future proofing, Trents. I don't like to buy new cards every time a new game comes out that I want to play, so when I do upgrade my cards (every 3 years or so), I go as big as I can afford to. Besides, I got these things for an absolute steal in the classifieds.

I would bet the 9750 is holding you back on BF3, I play it no problem on High settings 1680x1050 with my 5850. Granted it's only 1680*1050 and with out all the eye candy, but it plays and it plays well. Your 560ti is a higher performance gpu as a single card then my 5850, it will crush it when in sli.

I would bet the 9750 is holding you back on BF3,.

I would put money on that. I haven't used my 9850 in years!!
The next generation phenoms would do well and you wouldn't be bottlenecked on the 560's.
I ran a PII 965 till christmas for a year with a GTX 580 never thought the CPU was holding it back at all.
It now sits in a M%A99FX pro, nice board and suits it quite well. Has the X16 slots you'd need and DDR3.
It would also provide an upgrade route to a FX6300 if you felt like it in the future.

I would think so as well, and the DDR2 platform I'm running it on.

I have two 955be chips one on my M5A99X with ddr3 1600. The other I put on a gigabyte ga-ma790fx board with ddr2 800. The ddr2 platform is sooooooo much slower in benches and just all around computing at the same clock speeds. An example is Folding at home, I was running both rigs at the same clock speeds and was getting 10-13k ppd with one and 2-3k with the other at the same clock speeds.

I think I'm liking this idea more and more. May be only $100 difference, but that makes a big difference in my bank account just now!

I feel your best bet may be to save up till you can do it right, whether that be AMD or Intel.

You're probably right. Kitchen remodel is taking over the budget at present, after that's finished I should be able to manage something better. I'd really like to give that ASRock extreme9 a shot!

Unfortunately, the important things in life take money away from our toys. I'd also like to see how the ASrock Ext 9 does.

I have looked at the pics of the EXT9 and read as much of the PR stuff and I am guessing the EXT9 is the new Fatal1ty 990FX mobo without John's pictures. Hehehe. Even at that it is only like $10.00 cheaper than the Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0.
RGone...

I have looked at the pics of the EXT9 and read as much of the PR stuff and I am guessing the EXT9 is the new Fatal1ty 990FX mobo without John's pictures. Hehehe. Even at that it is only like $10.00 cheaper than the Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0.
RGone...

Yeah, newegg had it on sale a while back for about 150. Wishing I would have grabbed it then. Maybe I will get lucky and see it on sale again sometime in the near future.

There is one thing about going with a really good board like the Asus Crosshair V series of boards and that is there are some really SHARP minds that use the board that work for Asus and make appearance in the ROG forum. They write up articles about bios settings and what seems best for the ROG boards.

Some of those settings are available in the Sabertooth board as well. There are memory settings that were spoken about on the first CHV that are 'trips into the past' for me and allowed my DDR1600 and DDR1866 to run together at DDR1900 and give me 16gigs of well working Gskil ram. You just do not find such well written articles about the overclocking written about the other boards no matter who builds the things. There is one of those memory settings that I cannot find on the Fatal1ty motherboard. That does not disqualify that top of the line Asrock board in my mind since most do not even spend the time to really tweak the ram anyway. AND you certainly cannot really teach ram tweaking in a forum setting. Ram tweaking is just about all trial and error. Once you know what the general ram adjustments do, then it is all trail and error from there on out and truly a "balancing act". I did this when using the DFI boards that had so many adjustments that the majority of users just were lost. When I found the ROG bios tweaking articles it was deja vue all over again and so much a feeling of accomplishment to run my two dissimilar kits of ram together and actually clocked faster than I could overclock the DDR1600 when used by itself. Hehehe. That was fun. Fun to RE-learn and fun to see such startling results.

I have found it a fact over time that you will only get what you pay for and our best hope is that we actually get what we did pay for. I find that refreshing about those that support Asus in a way that none of the other boards are supported. That is the only reason I seem like an Asus supporter. Well that and in their top of the line motherboards, they have very stout VRM circuits that are a must for the newer FX processors to be pushed hard. Even very hard. Now you know a little bit of the 'rest of the story' as they say. There are intangibles that make using the ROG boards a better deal. Things most of the joe six pack world never even get a whiff of. Tangibles that can be applied across many of the Asus boards because the settings are there on many Asus boards.Actual settings that I use on other brands that have the settings available in bios. Really just a better way of life in the overclocking fast lane.

Sorry for so much chatter. Every now and again, it just seems a good thing to give clues to overclocking that 95% will never ever even glimpse. Often 10 or 15% of that 5% will have a light come on and sharpen their skills and their enjoyment grows in this hobby thing we call overclocking. In my association with some of the best minds in pushing motherboards, I was forturnate to be on the sidelines where information was being shared. Fortunate enough to not fear trial and error testing to learn what to do and when to do. There is no substitute for watching those with more skills and increasing your own. That has been my good fortune.
RGone...

Thanks for taking the time to write that out, I appreciate it! As you can see, I have been around here for quite a while. I'll admit, I have slacked off a bit the past few years keeping up with current tech. I did actually have really good luck with my current board and an X2 chip. Got some really good speeds with that. Unfortunately it hasn't got the juice to push this 9750 an inch past stock. Once I get all upgraded, I'm thinking about digging out my old water cooling loop and a new cpu block. Also looking forward to playing with the new UEFI setup and learning all the nifty new features. Will definitely be needing some help there, so picking a commonly used board is good advice!

juliendogg it was certainly not a problem to type out what have been found truths over 15 years or so of pushing motherboards. You get a sense about a poster after awhile. Are they really into the hobby? You just had that "look" of one that wanted and would appreciate a little more information. For those it is more a pleasure to help out if possible. I wish you very good forturne in your upcoming computer update; when and how it comes about.
RGone...

Back