• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM4 CPU block suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phat korean

Registered
I have a custom loop that I have used for a number of year. Currently, its cooling a 4790k using a Swiftech Apogee GTZ. MicroCenter has a deal on the 2700x and for all intents and purposes, I think this will suit my gaming needs. Since the GTZ wasn't out with an AM4 and this block is no longer supported, I am in the market for a new one for the AM4. It has been a long time since I did any research so I thought I would ask here first to get some opinions.

What is the point updating 4790k under water (overclocked already) to 2700x especially for game , you will not notice any diff .
better to invest in better video card ,
If you still need a WB , i would go with Ekwb AM4

What is the point updating 4790k under water (overclocked already) to 2700x especially for game , you will not notice any diff .
better to invest in better video card ,
If you still need a WB , i would go with Ekwb AM4

because this is ocf man! we upgrade because we want to!
there are tons of really solid cpu blocks to choose from now. ek makes a couple, the supremacy evo and the velocity. the difference is rgb. they are both solid.
xspc raystorm is very solid, watercools heatkiller IV pro is an excellent block, alphacool eisblock xpx is solid but fugly, aquacomputer has the cuplex kryos but ive no info on it. swiftech has a couple of new blocks but i dont know much about either of them. bitspower has a couple but ive no experience with them. there are more but i think those are the best ones right now.

because this is ocf man! we upgrade because we want to!
Yeah i understand , but he did not say i will update to a i9 9900k or at least a 8700k , he proposed a 2700x , so there is almost no benefit in any at all .
Heatkiller.
Heatkiller is almost the best possible water block today , but it is not only a heat killer it also kill the water flow on the loop .

Heatkiller is almost the best possible water block today , but it is not only a heat killer it also kill the water flow on the loop .

Yes, it is restrictive. You need a decent pump. Not that chinese crap you linked before.
DDC or D5 for sure.

Yes, it is restrictive. You need a decent pump. Not that Chinese crap you linked before.
DDC or D5 for sure.

I have nothings against that Chinese crap but it is guaranteed that 2 (in series) of those "Chinese crap" outperform by far a single MCP 655 @ 5 speed with almost quarter price, but noise is higher of course (lower than my fans @ 5v anyway).
in any case there is no benefit from 2 pumps or MCP 655 at different speed on my loop (1x360, 1x240 , 2xGPU block , 1x CPU block ).

please dont encourage other members to run $10 chinese junk pumps. you seem like an experienced wcer and as such you know that is simply unsound advice. the reason why we suggest d5s and ddcs is that the likelihood they will fail is minimal. along with the fact that there are hundreds of examples of them lasting well beyond the mtbf.
@op go with a laing/xylem/lowara ddc or d5 from a trusted company like performance-pcs, modmymods, amazon, newegg or frozencpu. IF you are even in the market for a new pump. which i doubt being that there was no mention of one.
as far as his choice in going with the 2700x. why would you assume you know his usage/needs/wants? going from a quad core to a new tech octa core is more than enough solid reasoning.

please dont encourage other members to run $10 chinese junk pumps
i did not encourage , i said for testing just to check if better pump is worth it ,
of course it is recommended to use quality pump

the reason why we suggest d5s and ddcs is that the likelihood they will fail is minimal. along with the fact that there are hundreds of examples of them lasting well beyond the mtbf.
totally agree , my MCP 655 lasted about 6 years or so (running almost 24/7 non stop ), the chinese "crap pump" i had 3 , 1 so far failed after 1.5 year , 2 still working .
why would you assume you know his usage/needs/wants?
the OP said
I think this will suit my gaming needs

Thank you for all the suggestions. I went into MicroCenter and got a great deal, at least I think so, on an 8700k setup. Ram, Mobo, and processor for 632 out the door. So, I won't be needing a new waterblock providing my GTZ will fit the new board. I posted another question in this forum and unless its a drastic improvement, I'll be sticking with a 9 y/o block for now.
And I understand that getting a better GPU will net me better results; however, I am upgrading not cause my 4790k is old but the mobo that I am currently using seems to be having an issue with power. Random blue screens with random errors. Once i put a fan at a set of caps, the errors stopped but only as long as I have the side panel open.

however, I am upgrading not cause my 4790k is old but the mobo that I am currently using seems to be having an issue with power. Random blue screens with random errors. Once i put a fan at a set of caps, the errors stopped but only as long as I have the side panel open.

Sounds like you might have some heating issues. Make sure your case is configured properly for air flow, you're keeping an eye on temps and your BIOS is stock and up to date along with your chipset drivers and other drivers of course.

Sounds like you might have some heating issues. Make sure your case is configured properly for air flow, you're keeping an eye on temps and your BIOS is stock and up to date along with your chipset drivers and other drivers of course.

Running the latest bios available from MSI. Everything I can monitor looks good. After months of trying to figure this out, I am just giving up and upgrading.

Back