• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazingly Large VRM temp drop from Gigabyte Z370 wifi to Z390 Master w/ 8700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

Yesterday I upgraded my Gigabyte z370 gaming wifi board to the Gigabyte Z390 Master as my delid 8700k at 5.2ghz 1.42v was hitting the VRM so hard that I had to put a fan on it and it was still hitting up to 118°C.
Today with the exact same settings on the Z390 Master in the BIOS at 5.2ghz 1.42v my VRM temps as you can see dropped by and amazing 66°C, maxing it out 52°C running the full Blender Benchmark and my 8700k maxed at 70°C. All my case fans are "be quiet!" fans and this thing has an average 35dB on full load.

z390 at 5.2ghz 1st run.jpg

Thanks! Now to see how far I can go w/ this 8700k. 5.3ghz ran fine on the z370 only except for the VRM temps so I'm wondering if I can go 5.4ghz on this bad boy.

For 24/7 clocks, I wouldn't go over where you are at already honestly (1.42V is already a lot). For benching... GO GO GO!

Its a hot rod,

what kinda of blender times are you getting at 5.4 ? :comp:

I'll find out over the weekend, but my main thing is peace of mind... The PC is whisper quiet, and on full load I don't have to even bother w/ looking at any temps now :)

Last night I pushed into 5.3GHz, fine tuning it in preps for benching into 5.4GHz today. I was able to run Cinebench R15 at 5.4GHz w/ a score of 1709. I'm still working on making it stable enough to run the blender benchmark. I think I got lucky w/ the silicon lottery w/ my 8700k. I do have it delided w/ liquid metal and a copper IHS to be fair. Temps were in the high 70's & low 80's across the cores running Cinebench at 5.4Ghz.

But oddly enough w/ me tweaking 5.3GHz I get better cinebench R15 scores. My latest score was 1720 and again w/ the VRM temps, they stay so low that I don't even look at them anymore lol.

I think w/ this Z390 Master and the Seasonic Focus 850w gold PSU the precision of the voltage and all that is helping me greatly on this.

Last edited:
The board definately. An average psu would do the job fine, really. The board has bits to clean up some things too. :)

Back