• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1920x low fps with x265

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freebee269

hello all. i searched forum and didnt see an answer to this question. does anyone with a threadripper 1920x have low fps with x265? i cant seem to get past 6fps on medium setting with no changes. is there a bios setting i am missing? i have my 1920x on a gigabyte x399 gaming 7 board. i seen somewhere someone was talking about SMT but i dont see an SMT option in my bios and i have the most up to date bios. i see most benchmarks have the 1920x doing at least 30fps. i am encoding a 4k 30fps file down to lower bitrate to save file space. i am encoding it on a samsung 850 evo ssd. i previously had an intel 3770k overclocked to 4.5ghz and that was doing 5fps encoding. if anyone has come across this and have an answer i'd appreciate your help.

Have you monitored clock speeds for throttling and threads to see if they're all being used? Is this a clean Windows Install?

Have you monitored clock speeds for throttling and threads to see if they're all being used? Is this a clean Windows Install?

I have monitored my cores with CPU temp app and about 80% of my precessing power is being used. I did not do a clean install. I basically just swapped my ssd from my old Intel pc to this 1920x pc. Could that be the issue you think? I did install all the motherboard drivers from gigabyte.

It's definitely not behaving properly so it's a high probability that windows isn't using the new hardware correctly. That's where I would start

It's definitely not behaving properly so it's a high probability that windows isn't using the new hardware correctly. That's where I would start

I will give that a try when I get home from work. Thank you for replying with some help. I currently have it overclocking to 3.8ghz. the cooler I am using is an nzxt 240mm liquid cooler.

hey johan so I did reinstall windows and that did speed up my encoding time. but I have something weird going on. in this pic you can see windows shows my base clock but the current clock to the left of the base clock it is turbo'ed. in bios I have turbo turned off. is there something in bios I am missing to turn turbo off? or is this a windows thing reading the cpu speed wrong?

Untitled.jpg

Turbo may be off, but the mobo may be cranking it up based on BIOS settings. A lot of mobos add their own little bump to "optimize" performance.

It's also a good idea to enable HPET, Win10 has a habit of misreporting the Zen based core speed

Back