• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanhline

Registered
so i have been trying to overclock my system now for weeks to no success, i try for a wile, give up, read a bunch of stuff them come back like a week later and try again and am at the end of my rope.

im running,

AMD 8150
asus m5a97 evo
readeon 7970
32GB DDR3 gskill 1333

ive been trying to overclock in bios.
however, when i overclock manually my system will fail to boot.
when i tell it to overclock itself it will boot up but then blue screen constantly. i think this issue has to do when it does the "optimized" auto-clock it will speed up my CPU but slow down my ram.
have a thrid option as well called DOCP however when i do this, it overclocks both ram and CRU correctly but then yet again the system will fail to boot.

after trying all i could i wanted to try the asus software to overclock but i downloaded the installer, tell it to open and then nothing ever happens....so now im here.....

:welcome: to the forum vanhline
I know you have read some guides but give this one a read it's quite thorough and talks about your type of chip specifically
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
The put up some screen shots of CPUz, memory and spd tabs.
You have a lot of memory there and we need to make sure it's set up correctly first.

:welcome: to the forum vanhline
I know you have read some guides but give this one a read it's quite thorough and talks about your type of chip specifically
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
The put up some screen shots of CPUz, memory and spd tabs.
You have a lot of memory there and we need to make sure it's set up correctly first.

that guide looks like it would cover just about everything but im not sure if i can use it, my bios looks nothing like his standard one and we are using slightly different CPU's so im not sure if he numbers would carry to mine successfully.

He is not telling you actual numbers to plug in but rather a procedure to begin and overclock any FX cpu on any motherboard. IF you want numbers to plug in we don't have any. Every configuration is different.

The 32 gigs of ram is the likely issue since it is a pretty good load on the IMC inside the cpu. You could take two sticks out until you get an overclock more closely sorted and then try it with 32gigs.
RGone...

The 32 gigs of ram is the likely issue since it is a pretty good load on the IMC inside the cpu. You could take two sticks out until you get an overclock more closely sorted and then try it with 32gigs.

I wrote that in my previous post. Does it mean you have too much ram? I did not say that. I said that 32gigs is a LOAD on the IMC inside the cpu and can contribute to issues when trying to overclock UNTIL you get some overclock established and THEN see if the IMC inside the cpu can be tweaked to allow for 32 gigs of ram at the overclock you have reached.
RGone...

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You'll want to set the timings manually for your ram as well.Try and match it up with the JEDEC#6 from your post make sure you use 2T as well for command rate. You'll find DRAM timing in the AI tweaker section of that bios. Set the RAM frequency to 1500. And if you have LLC control set the CPU_NB to high

I wrote that in my previous post. Does it mean you have too much ram? I did not say that.

well im here for help because i have never done this before, so i can honestly tell you i dont have a clue what you mean when you imply a possible issue regarding the amount of ram i have; "Does it mean you have too much ram?" well im not sure, that's why i asked, in order to clarify.

those three pics are separate, though they are well cropped they may appear as one, but are in fact individual images. i will look up the software on that fourth screen shot you showed me so i can get that information as well.

You'll want to set the timings manually for your ram as well.Try and match it up with the JEDEC#6 from your post make sure you use 2T as well for command rate. You'll find DRAM timing in the AI tweaker section of that bios. Set the RAM frequency to 1500. And if you have LLC control set the CPU_NB to high

thanks for the help on this guys ill give it a try, going through the walkthrough you gave me again and ill put an update with my progress.

well im here for help because i have never done this before, so i can honestly tell you i dont have a clue what you mean when you imply a possible issue regarding the amount of ram i have; "Does it mean you have too much ram?" well im not sure, that's why i asked, in order to clarify.

those three pics are separate, though they are well cropped they may appear as one, but are in fact individual images. i will look up the software on that fourth screen shot you showed me so i can get that information as well.

Vanhline, what the gonester is trying to say is that when you overclock you are putting more strain on the overall system. We have seen instances where a person can overclock higher running less gigs of ram. We have also seen instances where a person has had issues trying to overclock when running 4 sticks of ram instead of two. This is because it puts more strain on the Integrated Memory controller, ie IMC. When we are trying to overclock, it is easier to help someone, if we remove as many variables that may cause instability, as possible. This is why it was suggested for you to remove 2 sticks of your ram. If and when a stable overclock is found you can add those 2 sticks back into the system. If it then becomes unstable you will know what is causing it. This is the software you should use to monitor your temperatures. Run prime95 for 20 minutes with hwmonitor open and then post a pic of it back here.

Last edited:
thanks for those links, RGone, i havnt gone over them just yet but i will. ive been building my own computers for years and years now but have never dove into over-clocking and suddenly feel in over me head so any additional info is appreciated.

thanks for your input as well Mandrake4565, as both of you has suggested i will be trying without two of the sticks. put me down to two slots and cut the amount of ram i have in half so it will help test if that is the issue.

after i have that software running for a bit i will take a screenshot and post it.

thanks again to everyone for their help!

I'm pretty sure you and I were writing at the same time last night Rgone! Curse these fat fingers1111

alright so i took out two sticks of ram so im at 16GB DDR3 with two stick on board, currently running at over 4000MHz so it has let me overclock and has started up, here are some screens, will update with that temp software as well.

JozkwuT.jpg
YlR1iPR.jpg
Eht5jiW.jpg

alright here is the temp of everything right now, but this is 5 mins after overclock and nothing heavy running

j568SP9.jpg

Any 'captures' of HWMonitor that is NOT taken under FULL Load is pretty useless to us for checking your temps. I have seen my temps fall to normal in less than 15 seconds of reducing the load.
RGone...

Try 20 minutes of prime95 blend teest and take the captures while it's running. That'll give us an idea of how hot it "can" get.

Back